Moving in Philadelphia>Question Details

nchodos, Home Buyer in Philadelphia, PA

Looking for the perfect town not too far from Philadelphia to buy a new home for myself, husband and 2 kids. Please help!

Asked by nchodos, Philadelphia, PA Thu Feb 20, 2014

I'm originally from NJ and he grew up in Ireland, so we are lost when it comes to deciding which town in PA is the best fit for us! We are young parents (ages 30 and 33) and have 2 daughters under the age of 10. Our max budget is 550k and we would like to be in a family friendly neighborhood with great schools and classy people.
I really like the main line, but the taxes seem to be outrageous and the homes very old. We would like something fairly new, or at least renovated.
We like to go out to dinner, socialize outside the home, so although the further we get away from Philly, the cheaper the homes seem to be... I just can't imagine living so far from everything.
We would be open to living a bit out if we could find a town with enough going on that we wouldn't miss the city. We definitely are not homebodies.
My husband works in the Conshohocken, Plymouth Meeting area... so something within a 25 minute drive would be ideal.
We would really appreciate any help/advice! Thanks!!

Answers

11
Greetings!

I would be happy to educate you about the different areas of Philadelphia. The Greater Philadelphia Area truly has something to offer everyone. You can contact me directly anytime at Jo@MyPhiladelphiaAgent.com or 215.910.5411.

In the meantime, feel free to browse for home at MyPhiladelphiaAgent.com to get a feel to the price ranges in different areas.

Please let me know how I can assist you further. I'm happy to help!

Thanks!

Jo Price, Esq.
Keller William Realty Group
215.910.5411 | Jo@MyPhiladelphiaAgent.com

Website: MyPhiladelphiaAgent.com
Twitter: @MyPhillyAgent
Blog: MyPhillyAgent.wordpress.com
To keep this short and sweet the best thing I can do for you is to meet face to face so we may discuss new construction and rehabbed properties there are many options open to you like short sales, distressed properties along with mortgage options 203b ok 203k FHA or PHFA So please call a few agents and discuss these options you can contact me to arrange a meeting weather it is in person by SKYPE, WEBINAR so as you see the most important thing right now is to get the information. My number is 267-934-1971
Web Reference: http://www.GreatPaRE.com
Hi there!

In addition to some of the great places listed below, there are also some wonderful options is the Greater Philadelphia area.

There are more and more new constructions projects popping up in Delaware and Chester counties that may spark your interest.

I am originally from New York and attended college in Philadelphia. Since then, I have lived in both the city and the suburbs and understand your desire to be close to restaurants and other "city" amenities.

There are many hidden gems out in the suburbs that I think may interest you and are close to both your husband's job and all of the social activities you crave.

If you have not already signed up with an agent, feel free to give me a call or send an e-mail. I would be happy to discuss options with you.

Christina Ferriello
REALTOR®
Century 21 Alliance
3012 Township Line Road
Drexel Hill, PA 19026
610) 449-6006 (Main Office)
(610) 449-0645 (Fax)
(914) 469-7672 (Cell)
christinaf@century21.com

Follow me on Facebook and Twitter!
https://www.facebook.com/cferriellorealtor
https://twitter.com/XtinaRealEstate
Hello dear Buyer!

It seam like I have the perfect property for you that offers the relaxation and coziness of a retreat and yet it has the spirit of Fishtown- Northern Liberty area. This area is getting more and more inhibited by young professionals since it is so close to Center City. The home has everything you need and more. Please take a look at the pictures and let me know if you would be interested to see it life!

Address 433 W Girard Ave,Philadelphia,PA 19123

Enjoy your journey!

Julia Samouilova
RealtyMark CityScape
1500 JFK Blvd, Suite 1510
Philadelphia,PA 19102
office: 215-583-7777
cell:215-275-4774
It looks like you are getting some fabulous suggestions. I would also agree with the agents that mentioned Chestnut Hill, Wyndmoor and Lafayette Hill. It's just the right mix of city/suburban living. If you want to go a bit further out then I'd suggest Blue Bell, Ambler, then Jenkintown and Abington. These are actually all in different school districts so that would be something to consider with your children. I am very familiar with all areas. My business partner and I love working with transplants to Philly since neither of us are originally from the area either but have settled and planted our roots here. We actually just did a blog post about Philly Colloquialisms that we thought was entertaining if you weren't from the area. If you'd like to talk more, feel free to email or call me. My contact info is below. Good luck in your home search!

Sincerely
Michala Costello and Karen Regan
Elfant Wissahickon Realtors
cell:215-668-2593
mcostello@ewrhomes.com
http://www.regancostello.com
Nchodos,

In addition to some great Philadelphia areas mentioned, South Jersey towns like Haddonfield & Moorestown may be appealing with their main street areas and restaurants. Haddonfield has an edge in this case because of its proximity to the PATCO train that takes you right into Center City Phila, outstanding schools and proximity to not only it's own main street, but downtown Collingswood with more outstanding shops and restaurants.

In Phila County, places like Chestnut Hill would also be a great neighborhood in Phila, close to Plymouth Meeting and a short train ride to center city but has it's own great "downtown" area on Germantown Ave.

Of all the towns mentioned, alot of the homes will be older, but in your price range you should be able to find one that has been very nicely updated and in great condition.

Most of these towns have their own websites, and it may be worth a weekend drive around to get a feel for these areas, visit some of the shops and restaurants to get a feel for them.

Please get in touch if you would like to see what is available in these areas. I am licensed in NJ and PA and could help you shop for a home in both areas.

Barbara Smith
ReMax Access
Direct: 609-980-7593
email: BarbSmith321@gmail.com
http://www.GetMovingWithBarb.com
Voted "5 Star Professional, Top Realtor"
Phila Mag, 2012 & 2013
Location is key when choosing a home.I have lived in the Philadelphia for 51 years.And have been a full time realtor for the past 12 years. Give me a call to discuss your wants and needs in a home.Once I have this information I can set up an on line profile for you which will automatically email you any properties that fit your profile description.This will include listings that are new to the market and any price changes that occur on a property the is already listed.This is a great tool it will dramatically reduce the amount of time that you will spend searching web sites for a home.I am also currently offering qualified buyers up to a 1/2% of the purchase price as broker credit at settlement on the purchase of a new home.I look forward to speaking with you soon.

Michael Solomon
Realty Mark Associates
215 376 4444 x 95 office
215 421 2121 cell
Congratulations on staring your home search. I would be happy to assist with you search and helping you and your family narrow down the neighborhoods that would best fit your needs.
I have several ideas already that we can review, and then start seeing homes to get a feel of the areas you like best.
Please feel free to contact me privately so we can discuss further and begin finding you a great new home!
Jennifer

Jennifer L Geddes, MBA
Tri-County Realty
mobile: (484) 995-2155
JennPhilaRealtor@gmail.com
nchodos,

I grew up in South Jersey myself, so I completely understand how moving somewhere so close can feel so far away.

It's fantastic that you've already put so much careful thought into your new home needs. I would love the opportunity to sit down with all of you (yes, the kids too) to chat about your needs, wants, desires and expectations.

Based in Conshohocken, I am very familiar with the surrounding areas (some of which Amanda already mentioned) and what may or may not fit your needs. When is the best time for you to talk? I look forward to hearing from you.

Joshua Stein, ABR®, e-Pro®
REALTOR®
Coldwell Banker Preferred – Conshohocken

Office: (610) 828-9558 * Cell: (215) 866-8030
Direct: (484) 270-1165 * Fax: (215) 999-5894
Email: jstein@cbpref.com
Web: http://www.joshuasteinhomes.com
Hello. Look no further I am your man. How about living in the city! There are some new construction homes all throughout Philadelphia. Why live in the suburbs paying outrageous taxes? I have some great areas with a budget like that. You guys should have the pick of the land! Let's get started today we can be house shopping by the weekend!
Some communities that come to mind: Blue Bell, Ambler, Upper Dublin, and Wyndmoor.

Call me to talk about neighborhoods anytime!

http://www.thesaundersrealtygroup.com