Moving in Boston>Question Details

Robin Merle, Home Buyer in Boston, MA

Looking for our niche. My husband, 2 year old son and I moved to Dorchester (rental) in December. We know this isn't the place for us...now

Asked by Robin Merle, Boston, MA Sun Aug 14, 2011

what?! We are looking for a home (to buy) that is still commutable to Kendall Square (for my husband's work), but is more welcoming/family friendly than Dorchester. We would love a small town feel that is also very active for raising our son. Schools are very important. I'm wondering what your opinion of Milton is? We are especially interested of it because of the French Immersion program. My husband is French and would love to keep our son in Public Schools.
We were very involved in our neighborhood association, community garden, church, etc when we lived in Saint Louis, but have had a very hard time since moving to Boston finding where we exactly fit in.
My husband could manage up to an hour commute by rail to Cambridge but would like less...any ideas?

0 votes Share Flag Moving in Boston

Answers

9
Robin,

The Boston Business Journal this morning had this to say about Milton:

"The town of Milton, home to Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick, has been named the second-best place to live in Money Magazines annual list of the countrys 100 best small towns."

I can provide you with additional details, and help you find your ideal home there. Why not live in the second best smaller town in all of the USA - just a few miles south of where you are currently living???

Please contact me through my website below for complimentary, private consultation.

Kind regards,

Mark
Holliston MA also has a French Imersion Program. The town, however, may be on the outside edge of your commuting needs.

Good Luck,
Rich Shapiro
Asset Mortgage Group
Natick MA
Relocating to a new city is always a challenge! Good for you for knowing what you want!
There are only two public school systems in this area that offer a French immersion program - Milton & Holliston. Both are very nice communities, although Milton will be a much easier commute to Cambridge.
There are private schools, too, but the costs can get prohibitive.

Check out: http://www.miltonps.com for more Milton school info
I have heard there can sometimes be a waiting list for the French programs so you may want to talk to the schools first before you consider moving.

If I can be of any assistance in your search, please do not hesitate to give me a call.
And btw, welcome to Boston!

Melody

Melody Bohl
Carpe Diem Realty
617-548-BOHL
Melody@MelodyBohl.com
Hello Robin,

You have received many good ideas and there is a lot to consider. A couple of other thoughts are Concord and Lincoln. Both towns are on the commuter rail and have so much to offer. There is a coop farm on the Lincoln/Concord line and schools is both towns are superb. If you want to consider either town, please feel free to contact me. I'd be happy to tell you more about these towns.

Jessica Harvey
JessicaHarveyRE@aol.com
617-650-6750
Hi Robin. As a resident of Milton I’m probably somewhat biased about the community, but I think it’s a wonderful town to raise a family. Like you, we chose Milton for many of the same reasons: proximity to Boston, school system, family, etc… The French immersion program is a very popular curriculum and it’s extremely well received, almost to the point where it’s becoming difficult for the school system to accommodate all of the students. Keep in mind that the French program does not accept new students after grade 1, so depending on the timing of your move it might impact your options. Nevertheless, Milton is a terrific town filled with historic homes, tree-lined streets and a real sense of community.
Hi Robin - You might consider Arlington, Belmont or Lexington, all of which have some of the finest public schools in the commonwealth and provide easy access to Cambridge. Milton is nice but a bit of a hike to Cambridge. I work in Cambridge and the surrounding towns and would be delighted to help you.

Ellen G. Friedman, Keller Williams Realty, ellengfriedman@comcast.net
http://www.ellenfriedman.biz
http://www.justlistedincambridgema.com
Hi Robin,

I think Milton is a great area for what you are looking for. It has that small town feel but is still very convenient to the Boston area. Your husband shouldn't have a problem commuting to Kendall daily and should be well within his hour limit.
Please let me know if I can be of any assistance to you in your search for a new home. Good luck!

Willie Mandrell
Web Reference: http://www.wjmandrell.com
Hi Robin,

Would you consider Metro West? Some towns that might fit your needs but offer easy commuting options to Cambridge are:

Hopkinton
Natick
Southborough
Grafton
And there are many more!

Feel free to send me an email or call me directly to discuss if you'd like!

Best wishes!

Judy Boyle
RE/MAX Signature Properties
judyboylerealtor@gmail.com
508.561.7164
If you'd like a relatively short commute to Kendall, here is a list of towns close by with excellent school systems:
Belmont
Newton
Needham
Natick (might be too far)
Winchester (a bit further)
Arlington and Waltham have decent elementary schools and a "neighborhood-y" feel, but generally speaking public schools here aren't that great)
Lexington

Good luck! I've lived and worked in all of these towns for the last 15 years. Please let me know if I can assist you with your search.
Masha