Moving in Rogers Park>Question Details

krstnhunt, Renter in Chicago, IL

Looking at two apartments in East Rogers Park. One on the lakefront right near the Howard St. station. One is a bit south right by Morse.

Asked by krstnhunt, Chicago, IL Thu Jun 13, 2013

Question: is Howard St. unsafe? The one near Morse does not have parking included, while the one near Howard does - will it be difficult to find parking?

Answers

13
Check local police reports and incident reports. Look around the area on your own and make a decision based upon how you feel. Interview a few Realtors and fine someone you are comfortable with.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 23, 2013
hire an agent ! It is free for you! You will get all the info you need from a professional !
Safe is relative! But if you do not mind lot's of mices and roaches and no parking...go for it....
What Temuge Dovchin says is a personal opinion. S/he is not even local. ??? And it most certainly is untrue that no real estate agents live in the area! (See Mike Luckenbach's answer.)

As one responder says - safety is a very personal issue. Where I feel safe, you may not - and vice versa. So it is best to go at different times of the day and night when you will be out and about and gage that for yourself.

And while we as licensed professionals are not allowed to comment on the demographics of an area - due to fair housing laws - crime data is readily available on-line. Maybe this site will help: http://www.city-data.com/zips/60660.html

Hope that helps!
Web Reference: http://www.mnack.com
i am not a real estate professional. So i'll give you a straight answer. Stay away from that neighborhood. It's not safe. I guarantee you, none of these real estate agents will ever wanna live anywhere near there.
As one who recently moved from NYC to Chicago, and is living in Rogers Park, the area I live in seems fine, indeed, has many appealing aspects, one being that it is diverse, which is, from what I have seen, unusual in Chicago. An important thing to consider is how attentive is the owner of your building to providing good security.
Flag Thu Nov 7, 2013
Thanks for the honest answer! We are going to go with the one that feels safer.
Flag Sat Jun 15, 2013
You should spend a day in the neighborhood to see if its the right fit for you.
We cant comment on the safety. Go to the area at different times of the day and see if its right for you.

When looking for a place, get a good agent to help out.
Sounds like Mike gave you sound advice, follow it.

Sohail A. Salahuddin | Founder and Team Leader

Innovative Property Consultants Group | Sales and Leasing

http://www.innovativepropertyconsultants.com

Jameson Sotheby’s International Realty

425 W. North Ave. | Chicago, IL 60610 

O: 312.335.3230 | C: 312.437.7799 | F: 847.805.6030

"Extraordinary Service For Extraordinary Lives"
I've lived, done business and worked in the Howard Street neighborhood for over 30 years +. If you use a car daily...go for the parking. Let me know if I can be of service...773-465-2433.
Mike
Kassis Realty
It is not kosher for real estate professionals to comment on safety of neighborhoods. There are accessible crime reports you can easily find online. Good luck to you.
If you have a car then I suggest you find a place with parking in your building or very nearby.

Safe is a relative term and you can check out the website city-data.com for stats on the neighborhood or cityofchicago.org website.

Parking in Rogers Park (East or West) is always a problem, it's a congested neighborhood for obvious reasons....who doesn't want to be by the lake, close to transportation, diversified, etc...

When purchasing consider what is MOST IMPORTANT to you as either a home owner or investor.

Hope this helps and feel free to reach out to me directly shoud you have further questions.

P.S. I live in the area and have done plenty of transactions in the are, therefore I know what I'm talking about!
I can't speak towards the safety of one place over the other. Crimes happen in the Gold Coast and they happen on the West Side. Drive around the area. See if its an area you feel comfortable around; even better: Get out and walk around.

Let me know if there's anything I can do to help!