Moving in Indianapolis>Question Details

Ralph, Home Buyer in Canada, KY

Looking To Move In The Indianapolis Area

Asked by Ralph, Canada, KY Thu Dec 11, 2008

Hi, I'm coming from a small town and I'm relocating to Indianapolis for work. I don't know anything about the neighborhoods in and around Indianapolis. I'd like to live somewhere that is kid-friendly with good schools, etc, grocery stores, restaurants, maybe a shopping mall nearby and I'd like to be in a not too crowded area with little traffic. Again, I don't mind living outside of the city, even 40 minutes or so. Money isn't too much of an issue, can someone please tell me what area is right for me? Thanks!

Answers

12
Ralph, You are taking the right approach by becoming as informed as possible before making any rash decisions to buy. Let's see if we can't help you get started..

This link..http://www.trulia.com/real_estate/Indianapolis-Indiana/commu… Takes you to information and links provided by Trulia to help research the area..

This link..http://www.trulia.com/home_prices/Indiana/Indianapolis-heat_map/ Takes you to a map provided by Trulia so you can compare prices in the area.

This link...http://www.bhgrealestate.com/Views/Look/Default.aspx Takes you to a site where you can find more info on housing trends, sales, average sale prices, schools, crime statistics, ect. based on public records. You can break it down into neighborhoods or zip codes...

This link..http://www.indygov.org/eGov/IMPD/home.htm The Indianapolis police dept. More neighborhood info and crime statistics.

This link...http://www.zilpy.com/ Rentals, in case you decide to rent while you look for a place to buy..
This link...http://www.rentometer.com/ If you find a place you might like to rent, you can compare rents with similar rentals in the area..

When you have First informed yourself, then you will be able to ask the right questions in interviewing agents to find one who will work for your interests and goals.. Good luck, Dunes
2 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 21, 2008
I have already answered your question once but came back to read what others have said. Some are referring you to Hamilton County....VERY expensive homes for vinyl siding and almost no brick and the traffic is terrible. Some of the Hendricks County area is under the airport flight paths and that would be very bothersome. They are right to tell you to stay outside the 465 loop. The neighborhoods have a more small town feel than those inside the loop. You don't want to live 40 miles from your work. Try to find something closer. My home is for sale which is in Decatur Township just 5 minutes outside the 465 loop, is a custom built home, all brick with wood trim. 4 or 5 bedroom, 3 bath, formal dining room, eat in kitchen, 3600 square feet. $219,900. Very good price for the amount of sq. ft. Email me for more information. Lowebb@aol.com. Use "Home Information" in the subject line.
Sincerely, Happy Hunting
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 27, 2008
Hi Ralph,

I am a school teacher not a real estate expert, but here's my two cents. If you have looked at a map of Indy you have seen "the loop", interstate I-465. I recommend living outside the loop if you would like to retain somewhat of a town feel as opposed to a city feel. There really are good neighborhoods on all sides of the city so I would factor in where you will be working because rush hour can be a headache. If you are looking northeast side I would recommend Noblesville over Carmel or Fishers. I personally find Carmel and Fishers congested and over priced, but again just my personal perception. If you want any more particular information from an average joe I'd be happy to oblige. :)
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 14, 2008
Ralph,

Welcome to Indianapolis! If you come from a small town you would probaly love Indianapolis for its friendly atmosphere mixed with cultural activities that are child friendly. I am a leading specialist in the Indianapolis area, but also was born and raised in Carmel (which is a suburb 20 miles north of Indianapolis) There are a quite a few small suburbs that may be appealing to you. I would have to say that outside of Indianapolis, Carmel has the most to offer with the mix that you mentioned. Property value is holding strong in Carmel. which is a good thing if you need to move soon. Your from Canada so I am assuming that the community you live in is pretty "tight knit" so another option may be Zionsville, but restaurants and shopping are somewhat scarce, limited to a city block. In Indianapolis there are some other options of 'close' communities within the city radius, which makes for a great community to raise children, plentiful schools to choose from, theatre, restuarants, shopping, but a close, friendly feel this area is called Meridian Kessler. Please call me on my cell or send me an email so that I can send you a few select properties from each area above, and learn more about your criteria. If your coming soon, you'll find out weather is not so different than Canada's at the moment :)
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Dec 11, 2008
Hi Ralph -

Relocating when you know nothing about the city is always a cause for concern. There are many areas which may fit your criteria - off the top of my head, there are a couple of areas which come to mind. West in the Hendricks County area, near Plainfield, you will find small towns which give you good freeway access (I-70) and the amenities, like shopping mall and groceries near by.

Northwest, in Boone County or western Hendricks County is another great area, northwest of Zionsville. This is a new area of growth for the city, so you might have to wait a while for a shopping mall, but you'll find everything else you need close. Easy freeway access into the city via I-65.

There are some great smaller cities North and Norteast also, but traffic is a concern.

Hope that gives you some ideas! Let me know if you would like more information. I offer a relocation package I'd be happy to send.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Dec 11, 2008
You will have lots of great choices! I would consider the counties surrounding Indianapolis. They all have communities as you have described. 40 minutes from any of these will get you to Indianapolis. Having said that, your drive time to the city might be a little crowded, but there will be plenty of housing opportunities that are off the beaten path. I might suggest looking at Hamilton County. The major areas of Noblesville, Carmel, Fishers, Westfield, have all been in the headlines of being great places to live. Recently, Noblesville made national headlines as being one of the best areas of the country to raise a family. You will find there is a lot to offer. It would be hard to go into depth with out more information regarding all your needs and desires. All areas here could be considered kid-friendly with some of the best schools in the state, stores restaraunts, etc. etc. I have been 35 year resident here and a broker for 17 years and it's been amazing the changes we have seen. There is growth and development has changed the small towns we grew up in, but for the most part, all towns have tried to keep their small town character. To answer your question about crowed areas, we have all types of property from 1/2 acre -10 acre subdivisions to rural areas with nobody around. All at various price points. As a rule of thumb, the farther out you go from indy, the more rural it gets.
I am going to include a few web sites of interest. They should give you some great info.
http://www.noblesville.com
http://www.westfield.in.gov
http://www.fishers.in.us
http://www.ci.carmel.in.us
From these sites you should be able to browse for more info. I would also consider that since all these areas are growing, what is not developed today, might be populated in a few years. If your looking for areas not crowded, rural areas, you need to know where development has been planned. Noblesville has a huge development going on now with a shopping mall, commercial development, planned communities, etc. The fields of today are already planned for future development. Just something to consider.

Check out my profile and qualifications I would love the opportunity to help assit your move here. All the best. -Eric
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Dec 11, 2008
Hi Ralph:

We lived in Carmel Indiana, just outside of Indianapolis, before we moved to Marin. . I loved the neighborhood, schools and people there; almost did not want to leave until after kids are out of high school, but could not due to my husband's job transfer.

Carmel had great schools, wonderful programs for kids - my son was in the swim team and that's huge there, we had many excurricular programs, they also have a wonderful GATE (Gifted and Talented Program). All the schools there went thru major renovations when we were there; the schools were wired for high tech equipments which was much more than schools in NY and CA (where we were and are) can boast.

So, I'd make Carmel, IN one of my stops for house hunting if I was you.

Good luck:
Sylvia Barry
Marin Realtor
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 26, 2008
Sylvia Barry,…, Real Estate Pro in Marin County, CA
Ralph, my home is for sale on the southwest side of Indianapolis, IN. Near, Walmart, Meijer, Kroger, Marsh foods, elementary schools, high schools, library right across the street and park within 1/4 mile. It is located on a cul-de-sac and very easlily accessable from I 465 and the airport. It is a small, friendly neighborhood and very kid friendly if you have children. Email me at Lowebb@aol.com for information and good luck.
Ralph,

Greenwood is for you!!!!!! Greenwood has everything you need and want. We have Award Winning schools great (kid Friendly), and lots of fun stuff to do. Or if you want to go Smaller town and I am talking the One Stop light kinda town I would suggest Bargersville. This town is away from it all but within 20mins of great shopping and resturants. Center grove is a 5 star school and just won the State Football Championship. I believe you will not be disappointed with looking in these areas.

Thanks for your time

Brad Osborne
Coldwell Banker
Cell (317) 258-3651
Web Reference: http://bosbornehomes.com
good job Dunes.
Ralph, look at my blog on how to choose an agent http://www.trulia.com/blog/david_chamberlain/2008/12/how_to_…
I don't live in your area so If you need unbiased help choosing an agent call me.727-239-2188
I never collect referal fees so I am not motivated by money I just want to help.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 21, 2008
Hi Ralph, I would just like to add a couple cents to this discussion. Don't be afraid to take a day or
two to check out the south side of town as well. The Centergrove area is good, so is the New Palestine
area on the southeast side. I think a map, a look at the web site for each school district, and a day or
two looking at homes and driving each area will do the trick for you. Speaking of Hendricks - how about
just west of Avon. 1. Decide on a Realtor who agrees to show you homes in each area of interest.
2. Have your Realtor send you a list of homes that match your criteria. Divide that list: north/south/east/
west. 3. Look at the websites and school system for each community. 4. Make a list of homes
you want to see and dates to see them. 5. Go, do it, and have a good time. You'll know your new home
when you see it. Call me if you'd like to speak to me about my system. Marita Topmiller 513-4652
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 14, 2008
Ralph,

Our recommendation is for you to connect with a real estate professional that can begin to support your interests by sending you area property samples.

Requesting popular area neighborhoods is so subjective...you leave yourself open to another persons values and attitudes. By requesting information to review, you can get a feel from this information about the various neighborhoods. You can follow up with questions relative to these that will further clarify each location.

We would be happy to refer you to a top Indianapolis agent to support you interests if desired.

Our bestr regards,
The Eckler Team
Michael Saunders & Company
billeckler@michaelsaunders.com
941-408-5363