Moving in Southeast Yonkers>Question Details

Safety1st, Other/Just Looking in Southeast Yonkers, Y...

Is renting from someone that lives abroad safe & legit.?

Asked by Safety1st, Southeast Yonkers, Yonkers, NY Mon Jun 1, 2009

Saw an add of a 2br twnhm apt for a rental at $1000/ month,
utilities incl. through craigslist, I inquired via e-mail. The owner responded
he apparently resides and works in the UK, how can I find out if it's legitimate.

Answers

4
Don't send money unless you meet person
Be very careful here scams do exist. Why not work with a local Realtor in your search for a rental, a much safer bet.

Anna
917-576-5376
abrocco@laffey.com
Hi, I concur with the post below. This is a big scam through Craigslist. My advice to you is NEVER rent anything without meeting the landlord. I had a house listed for sale in Yonkers and someone from another country decided to use my listing as a rental and send people by to look at the house. My seller was still living in the house and called me to say that people were coming by to look at the house for rent. I also got calls from an ad people said they saw on Craigslist for a rental. That is when I put two and two together and realized this was a scam. They make the rental sound like a deal you can't refuse and then once you mail the money you get nothing in return. I'm really glad you inquired before going ahead with this, spread the word so that we can help foil future scams

Christopher Pagli
Associate Broker
Legends Realty Group
914.406.9023
This has become a big scam in our area and a lot of people (especially the young military couples) are being ripped off. One thing I did to check out the property for some friends of my daughter was to double check the address and sure enough, it was listed for rent somewhere else under someone elses' name. We called that person and they were the real owners (verified with their listing agent) and they were shocked that the scammer had actually downloaded and saved pictures from their website and put in with their listing. Also, the price may seem too good to be true. Don't ever send a deposit on the condition that they are sending the keys. Double check tax records, do all the research you can.