Alison Hillm…, Other/Just Looking in San Francisco, CA

I need to get rid of some large/heavy furniture pieces. I don't have a car. Can I leave it on the sidewalk and wait for trash collectors to come?

Asked by Alison Hillman, San Francisco, CA Tue Feb 5, 2013

Or is there a better # to call to have it picked up so that it isn't an eyesore for my neighbors? Unfortunately, it is not in a condition to be donated.

Answers

11
Hi Alison,

My opinion is to put an ad on craigslist stating what items you have and setting a time along with an address where they will be available for pick-up. If the items aren't picked up within that time, then hire someone to take it to the dump for you. If you are a homeowner, then as others have answered you do get a few free pick-ups a year for up to 10 items each pick-up.

My pet peeve is people setting their unwanted, unusable items on the sidewalk and making it someone else's problem. It's getto. I don't want to have to deal with other peoples junk. It does nothing for the the neighborhood and shows no pride for where we live.

Good luck! And thanks for being responsible for your unwanted stuff!

Lorraine

Lorraine Meier
Zephyr Real Estate
DRE # 01439005
415.596.9362
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Feb 5, 2013
Hi Alison,

Try 1(800) GOT JUNK. They will come out and pick it up and haul it away. Good luck!

Warmest Regards,

Matt

http://www.matthewbartlettrealestate.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Feb 5, 2013
Trash collectors often do not pick up items left on the sidewalk so they may linger on the street for days on end. I suggest that you advertise on Craigs List that your items are free and need to be picked up. Also, you can contact 1800 ECO HAUL which promotes effective green waste removal and also offers discounts for booking online. 1800 GOT JUNK is another good company that can remove your items.
I frequently use Craigslist for myriad items I'm constantly filtering out. However, I never give out my addresses openly. I always filter and qualify anyone I give my addresses to first. Craigslist is a great venue and it's free. But there are a lot of scammers and outright thieves out there looking to exploit the unwary. Proceed with caution and care.
Hi Alison,
Put an ad on Craigslist in the "free" section. Don't forget to put on your ad that they are heavy pieces.
Lorraine, I quite resent the "Ghetto" inference. I live in a beach community where home are selling for millions of dollars and folks leave there items on the street to share with other as a standard rule. I've given away a lot of very expensive pieces that I no longer need and would like a neighbor to get some use from should they need it. Please keep your derogatory opinions to yourself. After all it's just that. An opinion. So why not keep it polite?
Lorraine, SF is one of our favorite of all Cities in the World . We visit there frequently and have walked probably hundreds of miles of your charming streets and waterfronts along with several treks across the GGB and back.

I respect and agree with what you are saying about dumping. But we don't leave old worn mattresses on our sidewalks either. We leave reusable and reasonably nice items i.e. BBQ's, patio sets, furniture pieces, etc that we're replacing.

It's almost part of our laid back cultural beach town mind set. If someone leaves junk it's usually removed within hours by someone who's called the waste disposal folks to haul it away. But it's certainly not an epidemic of any kind and it doesn't seem to blight our community or offend anyone that I'm aware of.

My reaction was basically your using the word "Ghetto". I just didn't feel that was necessary in order to get across your very valid point. But thanks for replying in any event.
Flag Thu Sep 19, 2013
Hi John,
It was not my intention to offend. San Francisco has a big problem with people putting their unwanted items on the sidewalk or street corner. The question was asked by someone in San Francisco so I answered as a S.F. resident. There are homes here that sell for millions of dollars as well and it is an eyesore to wake up in the morning and find a mattress or various other items up and down the street because someone can't take the responsibility to dispose of it. It is considered "dumping" in S.F. and dumping is illegal and costs the taxpayers of this city hundreds of thousands of dollars a year. It is also the number one complaint I hear when taking buyers around S.F. looking at home and the number one complaint I hear from tourists in this beautiful city. It's more than just my opinion.
Flag Thu Sep 19, 2013
We live in a quaint little surfing and college student beach community on the North San Diego Coast. It's SOP to leave unwanted items on the street with a big FREE sign on it. It usually goes away within a couple of days. If not we call Goodwill or Salvation Army and they'll take it away if it's in halfway reasonable condition. Lot's of folks in need of stuff.
Alison,

As mentioned by other agents here, there are several different options for disposing of your unwanted items. Out of courtesy to your neighbors and to your community, calling one of the pick up services is preferable.

Thanks for doing the "right thing".

Gabriel
Craigslist is one of the best tools for you to move unwanted items
Hi there:
As others have mentioned, someone may or may not pick up your furniture from the sidewalk.
But let's not forget the Sunset Scavenger's free pick up service... just dial (415) 330-1300.
Homeowners get free pick ups twice per year and renters once per year.
You've stumbled upon San Francisco's ad hoc curb recycling program, aka another-person's-trash-is-another's-treasure. If you notice a lot of folks leave things on the sidewalk and others will pick it up soon thereafter. The city requires you to set it up if you want them to hual it away, but my thought is that someone will take your stuff if if you leave a sign saying FREE on it before the city even gets around to collecting it. Also you could try some very-SF approaches before calling the city or 1800Junk like posting on Craigslist under free stuff and/or booking a TaskRabit to take it away for you.