Moving in Charlotte>Question Details

pvfieldhocke…, Other/Just Looking in Gouldsboro, PA

I'm thinking about moving near charlotte, what kind of city is it like? I live in the poconos so I've been to NYC and philly. Is there public transp?

Asked by pvfieldhockey41, Gouldsboro, PA Thu Nov 14, 2013

0 votes Share Flag Moving in Charlotte

Answers

4
Good evening, PVFieldHockey:
The Charlotte Chamber of Commerce has good info on the Charlotte area (see link). With about 2.3 million people in the 16 county 3200 sq mile Greater Charlotte region, we are among the 25 largest metropolitan areas in the US. There is good bus transportation in the areas closest to Uptown Charlotte, a trolley bus uptown, and one light rail line segment. Wiki has some good info and links http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlotte-Concord-Gastonia,_NC-…
If you appreciate an answer, please give thumbs up. For the most helpful answer, please say thanks with a best answer click.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Nov 14, 2013
I grew up in the Chicago burbs. if you are used to ny you may not consider charlotte a city. of all the places I have lived I like nc the best.
Pvfieldhockey41,

I am originally from Connecticut and went to school in Pennsylvania. I spent a lot of time in New York City and know the poconos well since did a lot of skiing there as well. What I can tell you is that Charlotte is similar to a lot of the larger cities and yet drastically different at the same time.

Like Philly and New York Charlotte has pockets of things to do and suburbs. We are a large city and broken up into different sections so to speak. Oddly down here people tend not to go out of their area to often... But each area has a different type of lifestyle and way of living which is what makes Charlotte so unique.

The major drawback I found in the Charlotte area was the public transportation. Or lack of it. They have bus routes and a decent amount of buses running in Charlotte. There is a light rail (comparable to above ground subway). But it only opened a few years ago and currently runs up and down a seven or eight mile stretch of road and that is it...So very limited in it's access and use. They are working on an expansion for it as well right now....

However; coming from the North I expected a large city to have an infrastructure in place already with mass transit. Charlotte grew faster than they could build it...But they are catching up and it I is a beautiful city that is thriving. There is so much to do in Charlotte form arts, theater, nightlife, sports, and restaurants. Charlotte offers the same things as a New York or Philly on a slightly smaller more manageable scale

Dave diCecco
Realtor/Broker
Helen Adams Realty
ddicecco@helenadamsrealty.com
http://www.davedicecco.com
Charlotte is a very fragmented city. Lot's of action close to the city, but eventually breaks out into lots of different suburb type areas where you have to drive everywhere. If you like public transportation and "stuff to do", being close to the city in South Charlotte is great, where we have good bus transportation as well as the light rail.

Feel free to email me directly if you need help with your move!

John Siddons
john.siddons@bhhscarolinas.com
http://www.JohnSiddons.com