Moving in Los Angeles>Question Details

Tiffanykingny, Other/Just Looking in New York, NY

I'm from New York and want to relocate to los angeles in a few months. Where do young black professionals live? Any advise will be helpful.?

Asked by Tiffanykingny, New York, NY Sun Dec 27, 2009

Thanks!

Answers

14
Merlin Barrientos’ answer
Dear Tiffany,

Los Angeles is so huge , too many cities to mention? What about your work?

AlsoTraffic is a big factor here.

If you have not contacted anyone yet, feel free to email me I can provide you with a list of communities.For you to review.

Thank-you & good luck

Merlin Barrientos
Realtor Associate
Keller Williams Realty VIP
Northridge CA 91324
661 713-8780
merlin1@inbox.com
merlin1@kw.com
dre01761948
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jan 24, 2010
To be honest, LA is not a melting pot, its a salad bar, with lots of ethnic and cultural communities mixed throughout the region. Having lived throughout Los Angeles, from East LA to South LA to Northeast LA to where we are now, in Southwest LA, each community is different. With all do respect to the individual who said that Watts and Compton are Black areas - they haven't been for 10 years. Watts and Compton are both now predominantly Latino communities. Many young black professional chose to invest in the areas around Crenshaw, View Park, with these areas ranging from being lower middle class to upper middle class to down right exclusive (Ladera and top of the hill in Windsor Hills). Another nice community is northeastern Inglewood.

All of these areas I mention are close proximity to central and west LA, and right now do have properties that are reasonably priced.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jan 19, 2010
Why not consider a short term rental first--then do some homework of your own--check out a few neighborhoods-- more than once and at different times of day, look at everything that is important to you so that your comfort level can be reached--At the same time visit with any qualified loan officer(s), see exactly what your budget can handle and take it from there.

Anna
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 27, 2009
Real estate agents can not steer you to a ceratin area or neighborhood. I have been to LA many times and there are nice areas all over the city. I suggest you take time to look for a home that you can enjoy. Do your research. Don't trust someone else.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 27, 2009
Tiffany,

I'm white but have a lot black friends who live all over LA. The population is mixed here. There are all black areas like Compton and Watts but being from NY you'll want to experience West Los Angeles, Venice Beach or Santa Monica. You can also do well and have fun partying living in Hollywood. So if you can make it there you can do it here too! Live anywhere you want! Downtown is happening too and is safe.
Web Reference: http://www.iGive365.org
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 27, 2009
Tiffany that is a loaded question since REALTORS are forbidden by law to steer,blockbuster anyone from any specific area based on race, religion, etc.. However I am not a REALTOR and can answer the question but I can tell you that LA OS so diverse it really doesn't matter that much. What you probably want to learn are the areas that meet your lifestyle, crime, etc
. Because honestly LA is a melting pot. There are areas that are predominantly black but may not have the things that meet your personal needs. As a minority myself I was never more than half hour away from my people. I too am originally from NY and had lived in LA

You're going to like it

Let me know if I can assist you withany financing or I'd you have questions you can call me directly
480.650.8602
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 27, 2009
Dear Tiffany,

People of every race live in every area of Los Angeles, that's the beauty of L.A. You take your pick of what you like in an area,i.e. hip and beachy, deserty areas, hip cosmo, Hollywood edgy, elegant and exclusive, Hollywood Hills, the subburbs, etc... and you can buy there. It just depends on YOU and what you enjoy.
I would strongly advise a trip down and a good tour of Los Angeles to make a decision! It's a great city and you will love it. There are many many New York transplants in Los Angeles.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 16, 2011

There are many great neighborhoods in Los Angeles to consider. Why not get a short term rental first and check out the various neighbor at your leisure before committing to an area.

--------
JB Fung | Director - Architectural Division
John Aaroe Group
8560 Sunset Blvd., 3rd Floor
West Hollywood, CA 90069
Tel: 323-315-7450 | Fax: 323-927-1650
jb@jbfung.com | DRE# 01332492
http://www.courvilleandfung.com
I just wanted to add to this post. While it is true that Real estate agents can not steer you to a particular area based on race, I can tell you that there are great areas all over LA that are highly desirable by young professionals. I would be happy to tell you about many of them and what they have to offer.

A big thing to consider is your commute. Los Angeles covers a huge area. What may seem like only a twenty mile drive may actually be over an hour of travel depending on where you live. It can be a nightmare if you do not live close to work.

One of your best options is finding a short term lease. This allows you to get used to the area, find those neighborhoods that excite you, and get yourself settled in without making a major commitment. I would be happy to send you a automated listing of available properties for lease or for sale, It's updated regularly and you can cancel the list at any time. If you can give me more info on your wants and needs, I can customize it for you personally. Also feel free to contact me by phone or e-mail at 310-598-8634 cablainer@yahoo.com. I would be happy to talk with you and give you any advice you might need along useful links to a variety of services that will help you with your relocation. Best Wishes to you - Blaine / Keller Willimas - Hollywood Hills http://www.blainerichards.com
Hi Tiffany,
I think your best bet is to find a young hip up coming neighborhood that has young professionals buying up the property. Without knowing your price range, I couldn't steer you in any one direction. However, I do know some great areas that would fit all depending on your commute.
Hi Tiffany,

This blog that I wrote about the best places to live in L.A. for under $500k may be helpful. You can also find hundreds of homes in the areas that are mentioned on my website. Please feel free to call of email me if you would like to discuss your move. Best of Luck.
Anywhere they want to!

When I moved from NY I put all my stuff in storage in NY and rented a furnished apartment at the Oakwood Apartments in West LA. The Oakwoods are corporate month to month rentals, they are scattered throughout Southern California, very convenient. 1 month turned into 3 before I decided where I wanted to be. It made for an easy transition. http://www.oakwood.com/

The storage company shipped my stuff when I was ready. It was a good plan and went very smoothly. It gave me time to get my bearings. New York is easier to figure out than LA. At first I would only drive in straight lines, lol, I was afraid I would get lost.

I spent a few years on the West side then moved up to Burbank for a few years before I decided that Long Beach was where I wanted to be. The one thing I absolutely knew is that I wanted to be near the beach.

You will probably want to live at least sorta close to where you work. It makes life a lot easier if you can stay off of the freeways at rush hour.

If you decide on the Long Beach area, it would be my pleasure to assist you in your transition.

You're gonna love it out here!

Warmest Regards,
Laurie Manny
Main Street Realtors
Long Beach, CA 90803
562-212-5420
Hi Tiffany,
Anne's idea is a good one. The process of renting and buying is different here in LA than in New York. By and large there is less of an impact from rent control, with the exception of Santa Monica, so apartment hunting is imminently easier. There are areas that work well for professionals throughout the city, but it often depends on the profession. For instance, people involved with the studios often live in communities close by the lots. Attorneys often live near Century City, Mid-Wilshire or Downtown LA.
The overriding constraint is more often transportation and commute. When you know where you will be working, and how much you want to spend for housing, then it's simply a matter of deciding how much time you would be willing to put into a commute. From there, I would show you areas that would suit your lifestyle and wallet.
If you need help finding short term or corporate housing, let me know. Then allow me to meet up to have coffee and discuss the above. If you are still in the early planning stages, I'd be happy to set up a virtual coffee meetup!
Deborah Bremner
REALTOR
Certified Short Sale Professional
(D) 818.564.6591
TheBremnerGroup@gmail.com
Blogging at: http://TheBremnerGroup.com/blog
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 27, 2009
Sorry for the typos.. I am writing on my Droid