Rental Basics in Greenwood>Question Details

Miss Zanca, Renter in Indianapolis, IN

I'm a section 8 voucher holder how can I locate a rental property on the Northside of Indianapolis

Asked by Miss Zanca, Indianapolis, IN Tue Sep 20, 2011

I start nursing school in Jan in Lafayette IN, I need to cut my commute time down from and hour and a half to forty five minutes. I realize a lot of voucher holders have given the program a bad name. What can I do to ensure a property owner that taking a chance and renting to me would not be a mistake. I for one believe in keeping property value up. I also want to be proud of the place I reside and call home. If there is anyone that can help me with my search please do,all suggestions will greatly be appreciated. I have 3 children a 18yr old who leaves for college in Jan two girls ages 15 and 11. I have a silky terrier who is 11yrs old and going blind. I would love to be some where speed limits are strictly enforced. Also who have a neighborhood watch in place. I realize those are qualities the Indianapolis Northside community has to offer.

Answers

1
You are correct, but it's not just the voucher holders that have given the Program a bad name, it is also the strict requirements and unwillingness of the Program administration to hear much less understand reason. At least that is the circumstance which I have come to know in my area.

But, a good thing the program is now allowing is that Owners do not have to have their homes approved prior to having a Voucher holder look at the home. You, as a voucher holder, can initiate the process and bring Owners into the Program. So you will have the ability to sell yourself and then the program, which will ultimately pay a market rental rate based on other homes in the area.

Best of luck.