Moving in Austin>Question Details

Tally, Home Buyer in San Antonio, TX

I just got a job at Dell in Round Rock. I am looking for a rental house near work (I hate traffic) - should I live in Round Rock or Pflugerville?

Asked by Tally, San Antonio, TX Tue Jul 5, 2011

I am a health nut, so would like running trails and healthy food options and yoga studios nearby. If I don't want to pay an arm and a leg, what are some good options for a single female, age 30?

0 votes Share Flag Moving in Austin

Answers

19
I must agree with Angele. The Domaine would be perfect for you. I know several professionals that all live around the Domaine also try the POST on 45th area. It is very nice and secure I work out with a few single women that live there and are your age and feel very safe and that it is centrally located to get to work and enjoy Austin's night life.I must also note that in any business there are some unscrupulous characters, however, we do have professionals that have etiquette. I wish for all those relocating to Austin a happy transition. If you have more specific questions about workouts and running there are so many trails around Town Lake and running stores to give a helping hand.

Warmest Regards,

Vanessa Nunez
VOX Real Estate, LLC
http://www.escapesomewhere.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jul 11, 2011
Looking at Marie's experience, I want to point out that she could have talked to different kind on agents. A listing or landlords agent is working for the property owner, and is trying to get you to rent from his propeerty owners, whether that is the best for you or not. (That's his Job)
A "Buyer's Agent" or representative works for the renter or buyer, and is working to find the client the best place at the best price, only gets paid if they find a place you are happy with and actually rent, ... Has your best interest at heart legally and ethically, owes your thier loyalty... And ... Still gets paid by the property owner of the place you finally get, for helping you.
Because we spend a lot of time on your behalf (the preparation and preselection of properties for an afternoon's showing can easily take several hours) we ask you to commit to work with us if we commit to work for you.

If you won't give a buyer's agent your loyalty, they are limited in the amount of service they can afford to provide... The Buyers agent usually will only get 30-40% of the first month rent. For this, they research on properties ( they pay for the right to get information on the property)...printing out information and forms ( they pay for the copies they make)... driving to showings, (they pay for gas)...unlock the home and take responsibility for going into some elses property... (they pay for the lock box electronic keys), and take on the responsibility of making sure you understand the lease you are signing... .

So, it's important you chooose who you are working with if you want to have a great experience!
You should explore the Central East side: Close to Downtown and Lady Bird lake, and although 17-20 miles from Round Rock, mostly an easy commute, against the flow of traffic. Also, check out 78756, and that area of Central North Austin. Good luck, and welcome to Austin!

Warmest Regards,

Vanessa Nunez
VOX Real Estate, LLC
http://www.escapesomewhere.com
If I were to place you somewhere, I woold consider The Domain Residences in Austin in a heartbeat. There are restaurants and all kinds of shopping on the ground level with apartments on top. There is a Yoga Yoga nearby and trails as well. Many people come down here and are lured by the prices of Round Rock, Cedar Park and Pfrlugerville and while those are all nice places, you are young and will want to do fun things that are typically in central Austin. I really feel like you're going to think like you're too far away and wishing you were more centrally located.

ANyway, that's my take on it. I do tons of relocating and this is what not only I hear from others but my own personal and pro9fessional opinion as well.

Best of luck on your move and welcome to Austin!
Hi, Tally, I AM NOT an agent. I'm also relocating & flew down to Austin about a month ago.You can see by the flood of responses to your inquiry, competion in Austin's rental and sales markets is fearce. Unfortunately, so are some of their agents. I can feel the hair on some of their necks bristling now, but hear me out. I'm sure most of you are well meaning versus cut-throat & rude as the agent I encountered, let me share my experience.
First, I called on an ad & when I gave him the listing # he said, "someone must have made a mistake, this is in Rhode Island" (seemed ODD but I let it go) He then said,"Oh, here it is, those are being remodeled" & proceeded to ask specifics, price range (slightly less than yours) etc.I told him I was looking for a place in the proximity of my daughter's and was trying to get a sense of the areas & was willing to put money down (to hold one) but wouldn't be moving until September. He said,"I can find you a nice place, you'll just have to trust I'm going to. Whata you think I'm gonna drive you around or give you the address to them? Ya think I do this for free"? He became more heated when I hesitated at one point & he spouted, "You're quite! You going cold on me"? FRIENDLY WARNING! Agents in Austin are payed commission on sales OR rentals & SOME get "ugly". Agents "act" as well-paid, short-termed employees and should in turn, "act well-behaved", or be FIRED! p.s.The afore mentioned agent promised to email info.on some properties which I never received.. Needless to say, I was actually relieved, SCARY!
First off, welcome to Dell. I work there as well and am a single female similar in age (which means I'm older, but don't want to admit it :). Not sure if you are living in Austin now, but I would actually recommend liviing in Austin over Pflug or RR. I lived in NW Austin for the past 6 years and my commute was less than 15 minutes to Dell and there was no traffic at all. Not that there is anything wrong with Pflug or RR, it's just my recommendation for a single woman. In regards to being close to healthy food options and yoga studios.. As someone mentioned below, those are sprinkled out everywhere and youll be able to find pockets of those within a 10 min drive from anything. If you wanted something walkable/bikeable for that, it would probably be downtown or Domain living which will be very pricey. I know of a 2 br/2.5 bath 1350 SF townhome in NW Austin available to rent if you are interested. Its in a small, gated community of about 75 units (mostly other singles as well). Feel free to email me at jessicasvogel@gmail.com if you are interested. Good luck!
I live in P'ville and love it. There is a big public pool and a hike & bike trail.
HOWEVER... I would suggest you go in to Austin a little more. I agree with Margaret and Tony. You would be driving opposite of the heavy traffice and still close to the fun things in Austin. OR... the West side of I35 in RR is nice. Cheapest would be on the East side of RR... same side as Dell. I like the Ryan's Crossing area.... I would be happy to work with you. I'm single and would live closer in to Austin or
in a more active place in RR.
I have researched the Pflugerville area and there are several homes in your price range and under that meet your criteria. Please email me at teresatibbs@stanberry.com for more detail information about these properties.
You should definitely check out YogaYoga.com for their locations & schedule of events.
There should be some properties just north of The Domain area, like Scofield Farms. This is an excellent location that's closed to everything including shopping and entertainment.
Hello, Tally,

If you don't want to pay an arm and a leg and still have a nice home, Round Rock and Pflugerville are the right places, Round Rock more so because Dell is in Round Rock. I am sure you will find running trails there too, there are nice parks in Round Rock and most likely some yoga studios as well. Rents in the Austin area have increased in the last year and $1200 will barely get you 3/2 house with a yard for your puppy anywhere in Austin proper. Most homes have are 3/2, so 2/2 is not really an option unless you want a duplex or a condo. I would be happy to find you the best available option close to Dell. Call or email me.

Vivianne
512-554-5997
The house that is $1150 per month is 1236 sq ft, and it has a 2 car garage with automatic openers on both doors. The yard is fenced, and the landlord would accept a non-agressive breed of dog with a pet deposit of $300. This owner does not accept puppies, though. It's being painted right now, and some repairs are being made, but I might be able to show it this coming weekend.
I currently live in Pflugerville and would love to help you in finding your home. In Pflugerville, we have a man-made lake that many residents run and bike around daily. As far as healthy food options, we have a fairly new mall in the area also. Depending on the size and square footage of the home, you can probably find a great deal in this area. Also, there are several neighborhoods next to the toll road that will get you to Dell in no time. Give me a call at (512) 431-2442 and we can discuss your options.
I'm looking for at least a 2/2 over 1200 sq feet. I have a small dog (17lbs), and I'd like to stay under $1200 a month.
I have the 2 great houses for lease this month. I have a 1-story, 3 bedroom, 2 bath home with a 2 car garage, and it's just a few blocks from Balcones Park and the YogaYoga studios, both of which are at MoPac & Duval/Burnet. It's really close to the Domain which has many restaurants & shops, and MoPac will take you quickly north to Dell or south to Downtown Austin's nightlife. It rents for $1150.
The second home I have for lease will be available August 1st, and it's a 3 bedroom, 2 bath 2 story near Rattan Creek Park, and there are trails through the neighborhood, heated pool, recreation center & many restaurants nearby on Parmer Ln. This home leases for $1200/month.
Please call me if you'd like to see either or both homes.
It depends on your price range. You get a little bit more for your $ in Pflugerville. However, most of my clients seem to prefer Round Rock. Sounds like you would love downtown which is filled with yoga studios, Whole Foods, town lake, etc. However, it would be a commute to Dell in Round Rock. What is your criteria ( min beds, baths, sqft, price range, move in date, pets)? You can contact me at 512-695-5144 to discuss your home search.

Kristee Leonard, Broker/Owner
The Leaders Realty, LLC
512-695-5144 Cell
kristee@theleadersrealty.com
http://www.theleadersrealty.com
http://www.whyaustin.info
Tally,

I'd recommend Round Rock, but there are good sections of Pflugerville as well. I presume you're working at the main campus, so just try to find a place to the West or South of there and you'll not have any issues with traffic of significance. If you would like help finding a place, call me. My services cost you nothing and are paid by the landlord.

Jeffrey
512-913-7480
Hello Tally,

I would scout out the area. You will be fairly close to the Dell Campus either way. Both areas are highly congested so I would look around and when you find an area or home you like test it out for yourself and see if you can deal with it.

Best of luck to you.

Don Groff
REALTOR® | Mortgage Broker
Keller Williams Realty | 360 Lending Group
o.512.669.5599 m.512.633.4157
listings@dongroff.com