Moving in Hurlburt Field>Question Details

Lvmyhouse, Other/Just Looking in Columbia, SC

I am considering a job offer at Hurlburt Field. Which homes/areas are located in Flood zones. What are avarage home owner's insurance rates like?

Asked by Lvmyhouse, Columbia, SC Sun Nov 10, 2013

Help the community by answering this question:


I was stationed at Hurbie for most of my AF career. I specialize in helping military relocations. so.. Homes close to or on the water generally are in the flood plane. Home insurance rates generally are very competitive with the rest of the nation. Most of the newer homes have been built to the most recent codes and get the majority of credits. Let me know what neighborhood you are interested in and I can send you some listings with insurance quotes.

0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 10, 2013
Hello Lvmyhouse--You would have to have some addresses in mind. Generally most things south of Hwy 98, and along the East Bay, but it all depends on elevation. So we would have to consult flood maps and elevation maps and investigate on specific location of the house on specific lots. Homeowner insurance typically on a 200,000 home will run you in the area of around 2000 a year. That is without flood insurance. Flood insurance, if it is not required, runs 300-500 currently. However, this is about to change with new flood maps coming out and changes in the flood insurance rules. If flood insurance is required, you could be looking at significant cost--5000 and up per year. But, remember, these are guestimates--for real information, you would have to consult the flood maps for particular properties and a local insurance agent. I can recommend a local insurance agent if you would like to investigate further.

Myke Triebold
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 10, 2013
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer