Moving in 55311>Question Details

mspbuyer, Renter in Minneapolis, MN

How to introduce ourselves to our neighbors?

Asked by mspbuyer, Minneapolis, MN Tue Jun 5, 2012

We eventually bought our first house, and our closing is near. We are excited...however being first time home buyers ( and also not ever lived in a house in this country before..always we had lived in apartments since we came to this country), I would like to know the rituals that we follow in Minneapolis to get ourselves introduced to our neighbors, and some tips/etiquette to keep in mind while we are settling in our new home.

0 votes Share Flag Moving in 55311

Answers

7
Dan Tabit’s answer
mspbuyer,
Don't waste any time. I encourage my buyers to meet the neighbors before they are fully committed to the transaction. If they find out the neighbors are feuding with each other over your back fence, you may want to reconsider buying the home.
My wife and I walked our neighborhood and introduced ourselves as "potential buyers" of the home. In most neighborhoods there is someone who will know all the good gossip and give you a sense of whether you have made a good decision.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jun 5, 2012
I would not be surprised if people in the neighborhood don't just COME TO YOU. Happens all the time and is very normal for your neighbors to stop by.

I REALLY love the idea of your realtor throwing a house warming party. It is a win-win hands down for both sides. Also, "national night out" is to me one of the best ways to get together with your neighbors. It will happen soon and you should be a part of it.

Can you tell I like food!? Haha who doesn't...
Hello MSP Buyer!
Congratulations on your new home purchase! One unique way to go is to talk with you agent and see if he/she would be interested in hosting a housewarming party for you inviting all of the neighbors as well as your friends and family. That would give you a good opportunity to meet all of them. At least the social ones! :) It could be a bbq, catered event... up to you! Nice thing is that if your agent hosts, he/she will probably pay for it and get some good exposure out of it as well. So it's a win win. Hope this helps!

Warmest Regards,
Jason T. Lange
Realtor / CDPE (Certified Distressed Property Expert)
Licensed in MN / WI
612-247-7593 |Jason.lange@results.net |
RE/MAX Results
Web Reference: http://www.langehomes.net
Thanks Jason..will definitely check it out with my agent
Flag Wed Jun 6, 2012
I totally agree what Dan Tabit mentioned below :-) It is best to talk to neighbors even before you sign on the dotted lines. But it is never late to start. All answers below make sense too.. In Minnesota, being summer if you are not seeing neighbors around you outside often then probably they love their privacy (or they are out of town) and i wouldn't even bother knocking on their doors.

One very common and non-spooky way is to have find a reason for talking to them - settle in your home first and then when an occasion like a birthday or an anniversary is around, just walk over and invite them over for the occasion. (or just have a house warming ceremony - you can even have two one with your old friends and one for your neighbors).
Best bet is just being outside and proactive. I highly recommend taking walks and just going up and introducing yourself if you see someone outside that seems like they have the time to chat.
I'm very impressed with your concern for doing the right thing. Traditionally, it's the neighbor's job to welcome YOU to the neighborhood, but we see less and less of that these days. I would say just make yourselves accessible and friendly and things will unfold according to the personality of the neighborhood and your neighbors. Best of luck in your new home!
If it was me I would just say hello if I saw them outside or perhaps knock on the door and introduce yourself. With summer approaching I'm sure you will see your neighbors outside. Good luck with your closing!