Moving in Atlanta>Question Details

Karin1982, Both Buyer and Seller in Atlanta, GA

How much money do I need to save up to relocate out of state without a job? I'm single and I'll be driving my car which is currently

Asked by Karin1982, Atlanta, GA Wed Apr 7, 2010

insured. I will be relocating to the Metro Atlanta area not further than about 30 minutes from Atlanta.

0 votes Share Flag Moving in Atlanta

Answers

4
I would say 1 year's salary. Plus, I would have a back up plan. Where are you going to go after you spend your entire year's salary in about 9 months. Your profile says you are a "seller" and a "buyer". You will need a lot of cash to buy something if you don't have a job. Good luck and I hope everything works out for you.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Apr 7, 2010
Karin,
I made a similar move, 18 years ago!!! Packed my bags, said so long to the family, and drove south! I didn't know anyone, had never been here and didn't have a job! (What was I thinking?)

I stayed in some extended stay hotels and signed up with a temp agency. I can't really recall how long I went without a job, but if I had to guess, it was probably 2 months.

I did do some research before I left (Massachuiestts by the way) and sought the services of a roommate finder. Obviously having a job and a place to live would have been more responsible but I have to say, I love the fact that I had that experience and an adventure to share with people like you!

I can send you some helpful websites that I use for people relocating to the area. And of course, if you would like to talk with me in person, I am happy to share more tales from my trip!

All the best. Please let me know if I can help you in any way.

Stacy Carter
aka - Northern Transplant
678-641-6631
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Apr 7, 2010
Hi, thanks for the great suggestions. I want to relocate to ATLAnta from Boston. I would be happy to talk to you more about your experiences in moving to ATL.
Flag Thu Aug 15, 2013
I totally agree with this article. Why buy packing supplies when they can be obtained freely. Why take items to the new house which you don’t use, keep a yard sale. When giving companies estimate in whether method be honest and having an in house estimate by a company is much better it can reduce the expensive. It is proven that moving can be stressful. If that is the case why pay a high cost for stress. When moving we would browse the net and look for the cheapest moving company. Does reliable and efficient count in that search too or just the price. Do we look for the disadvantages of using moving companies? I don’t think moving should be expense and at the same time I think the movers should be reliable and efficient. who would want to work for a low income not me for sure, we need to be reasonable and fair when we use the word CHEAP. We should check out the reviews and everything about a moving company before using it. Especially the pricing strategies. Like just two months ago I moved into my new house. I was worried about how I would move all of my stuff safely and where to find a reliable moving company which would work with my budget. A friend of mines told me of A-1 Moving & Storage and the professional services these guys offer. So I am very satisfied with the services I received and I would recommend them to others. They are also known for providing exceptional storage facilities, check out more at http://www.jupiter-movers.net/local.cfm or give them call today (561) 625-0600.
Karin,

I think Stacey has given an excellent answer to your question. Keep in mind that jobs are a bit more difficult to find, except for possible part-time work in the current economy!

I'm a little puzzled in that you recently asked about buying a multi-family property and then a personal home.
Perhaps and likely you have funds set aside for that purpose and merely need to save some extra cash for the move and temporary housing until a good job is secured.

You sent me an e-mail and asked me to call, but I did not get you phone number. Feel free to contact me for a friendly no-hassle discussion.

Ken
770-316-8072