Moving in Haight>Question Details

Bandit01, Renter in Haight, San Francisco,...

How does everyone like Haight?

Asked by Bandit01, Haight, San Francisco, CA Fri Jul 27, 2012

I am new to the SF area and have found a place for to rent near Haight street! I have heard mixed reviews about this and was wondering how close everything is such as shopping bars etc? Friends say I should be looking in the SOMA or north beach area?? Any thoughts?

1 vote Share Flag Moving in Haight

Answers

4
Lance King-Founder/Broker’s answer
The answer to this question is very subjective. It depends what sort of lifestyle you want to lead. Personally I'm not a fan of the Haight. It's foggy and has a lot of grungy people hanging out. SOMA has less of a neighborhood feel but the weather is a lot better, you're walking distance from tons of restaurants and bars as well as many different neighborhoods. North Beach is nice but you have a lot of bridge and tunnel crowd there and getting anywhere south from there is time consuming and annoying.

I would spend some time in all these neighborhoods and decide. The mission is also a great place. Good weather, centrally located, and lots of bars and restaurants
You're welcome. And just so you know, you don't have to live in a high rise to live in SOMA - there are tons of small buildings with character and low HOAs. Best thing to do to check transport is go to http://511.org/. Best of luck
Flag Sat Jul 28, 2012
Thank you for your answer! I really like this little house in the Haight district and wanted to kind of avoid high rise buildings. Is there a lot of public transportation in this area like the cal train? I saw the muni while i was there...
Flag Fri Jul 27, 2012
If it's important to you to be near shopping & bars, then it's a great spot. My sister lived in the Haight for years, and absolutely loved it. Lower Haight puts you right at Golden Gate Park - which is amazing. Parts of upper Haight put you closer to bart and walkable to the Castro - also great. Downsides (which really depends on your perspective) are basically all the stuff that comes with a place like the Haight: sorta dirty, chaotic, bridge & tunnel on weekends, drunken merriment happening every day of the week.

If you wanted a mellower vibe, but still really close to Haight Street, you might want to consider Cole Valley. Just a few blocks away, but without the intensity. If you like the urban, all the time vibe, I agree North Beach is also a great place for you to check out.

SOMA is different -- loft living, and much lower concentration of nightlife, but easy to hop on bart. Nothing to sneeze at that you'd also have the Embarcadero & Bay right outside your window!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jul 29, 2012
It depends on your own personal preference and comfort zone. We have friends who have lived in the Haight for years and wouldn't live anywhere else. They've lived all over SF and they love the Haight the most.

Janis and I frequent SF and love just about everything everywhere. We are long distance walkers and love walking city streets and sandy beaches. We once walked from Fishermans Warf to The Haight and even threw in the "Crookedist Little Street In The World" for an extra challenge.

It's one of our most favorite walking cities in the world as I'm commenting on this question from Paris our most favorite walking city of all time.
I'll reiterate what Lance said - liking or not liking a neighborhood is subjective. I personally like the Haight - I don't mind the foggy, and I think the neighborhood has done a good job of clearing out some of the street punks who would loiter and harass people on Haight Street.

I'm a bit bigger fan of Cole Valley, which is adjacent to the Haight but a little less crowded and cleaner. SoMa is nice, although it has more of an industrial feel than a neighborhood feel. But the weather is good, and there are plenty of bars and restaurants. North Beach does have a bridge-and-tunnel crowd (and tourists) but the deal-breaker for me with North Beach is parking - if you must have a car in that neighborhood, a garage is a must. In that vein, street parking in the Haight isn't very good either.

Hope that helps!

Cheers,

Toby

Toby Jackson
Better Homes & Gardens/Mason-McDuffie Real Estate
2200 Union Street
San Francisco, CA 94123
Mobile: 415-627-8200
Office: 415-921-0113
http://www.bhghome.com/JacksonHomes
DRE#01798961