Moving in Charlotte>Question Details

Kateplusthree, Both Buyer and Seller in Charlotte, NC

How do people do this? What to tackle first? My husband and I (and our three kids) wnat to relocate to Charlotte from NH.

Asked by Kateplusthree, Charlotte, NC Sat May 29, 2010

The market here is terrible. Houses are on the market for 2-3 years, and that's when they are priced well! How does one time getting jobs (at least one of us will have to have one in Charlotte) with selling and buying? What is a good order and what do we tacle first?

0 votes Share Flag Moving in Charlotte

It sounds like you are in a bit of a difficult situation. Here are a couple recommendations from me:

1) Get your house on the market in NH with a good agent at a fair price.
2) Start talking to loan officers in Charlotte about what types of loans you would qualify for. I have had some buyers who can qualify for both homes based on their current jobs. This would allow you to buy without having jobs here in Charlotte yet. If that is not possible for you, it is good to know up front so that selling your NH home is your focus.
3) Start at least browsing available jobs in Charlotte.
4) Make a trip or two to Charlotte. Interview possible buyer's agents have start to learn about the different areas of the city.

Hopefully everything would fall into place where you get good job leads in Charlotte, your home sells in NH, and then you can start the house hunt in Charlotte right away because you have already researched the city.

I would be more than happy to talk with you further and start the researching Charlotte part of the plan!

Amy Gooden
Allen Tate Realtors
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat May 29, 2010
Sounds like you really have your act together. Good luck!
When moving to any new area there are so many things to consider. Most of your questions can be answered in one convenient place which would be the website below.
1.Contact a lender to see what you need to do on that front
2. Get your resume's to the major players in town as far as jobs. (Are you able to transfer with either company?)
3. Come for a weekend visit or a couple days and check out the various areas of the Charlotte area.
We will be happy to make you our neighbor!
Blessings for a seasmless transition. I too have 3 kiddos. 11, 5 and 2.

Sorry, I forgot to mention one of the most important parts....

Talk to a lender as soon as possible. I have several I work with in Charlotte that I can recommend to you that are excellent. You will want to discuss that you are considering purchasing a new home and find out what options you have financially to make things work. Lay out the different scenerios (buying with renting your home, buying with one income vs. two incomes, buying without selling, etc). You won't start any paperwork at this point. But an experienced lender will look at your situation and give you all the options so you can work on what you need to do credit wise in order to make things happen.

Again, call or email if you need anything!!

Gina Storeholder

Glad to hear you are considering relocation to Charlotte. It is such a great city!!!

You've received some great real estate advice here, so I won't bother repeating it. But I will give you a few things to consider because I personally understand your dilemma. My husband and I relocated to Charlotte in 2006, and we had to weigh many of the decisions you are struggling with. In our case, my husband was offered a job but the move meant that I would leave a company I loved and had been with for 12 years. Luckily everything worked out perfectly for us and we have never looked back. Of course it was a different market in 2006 compared to today, but if we were in the same situation today I would still handle most of the details the same. Here is what I would suggest....

First and foremost, you need to find a local realtor who is a neighborhood specialist in your area. Sit down and have an honest conversation about your wants and needs both financially and emotionally. Discuss your desired timeframe, net proceeds, staging advice, marketing plans, etc. Just because some homes sit on the market for 2-3 years does not mean that your home will. If you price it aggressively (at least 5%-10% below fair market value) and pick the right agent with an aggressive on-line marketing plan you might be surprised. It will take a little extra staging and some creative out of the box marketing, but it can be done. But always consider worst case scenerio and find a plan B. As others have mentioned, renting here in Charlotte might work, and there are lots of homes (vs an apartment) for rent here that will accept pets. Or consider renting your home in NH but do this with some professional advice from a realtor and attorney and know what you are getting in to. Or, you can move down and start working...but I wouldn't recommend this for any marriage!!!

Secondly, schedule a few trips to Charlotte so that you and your husband can start exploring the city. Find an agent (of course I am available) that will spend some time showing you what is available in different parts of the city. This will give you a good idea of what you can get for your money. You will also begin to learn the areas you like so when you are ready to pull the trigger your search will be concentrated and informed. You might be surprised and find that the reasonable pricing and typically lower taxes in this area may allow you to find something that you will be very happy with, and you may only need one income to qualify. Also dedicate one day for any interviews you have lined up and scouting for new job opportunities. A good realtor may also be able to make some connections for you. Depending on the fields you are in, we often have a fairly wide sphere of influence including co-workers and past clients and may be able to open a few doors for you.

Thirdly, stay focused. Relocating is not an easy process and will feel very overwhelming at times. Dedicate certain days of the week to prospecting for jobs, and alternate days to working on getting your home ready to be put on the market and for looking for homes in Charlotte. This worked great for my husband and I when we moved. At one point we almost had a nervous breakdown trying to juggle it all and decided to "schedule" time in our days for certain tasks which kept us on track perfectly.

Lastly, keep the faith. I am a firm believer that everything happens for a reason. So, if you hit a few bumps on the road don't give up. When it is the right time to move, everything will fall into place.

Sure hope this helps. I wish you the best of luck with everything. Don't hesitate to contact me if you need anything.

Gina Storeholder
These answers are so great and have given me a lot to consider!

Hubby chaning careers is a problem. Itis likely that I (who is staying in the same line of work - I am a college professor) will be employed fist in Charlotte while hubby finishes school. I hadn't even thought about needing two incomes to qualify - but your are right, he'll need some kind of job in his previous field.

(and shame on those of you who assunmed hubby would be "leading the way." I am just as capable of having that role)

Also - the dogs!! We have two HUGE and very goobery labs. Renting a house or an apartment seems out for all of us. Which leaves:

1. One parent moving to Charlotte into a 1
bedrrom and then buying a home and moving everyone else into the new home.
2. Waiting until both os us have jobs in Charlotte to move (this seems far more difficult to manage).

We really don't want to rent. In my (albeit limited) experience - renters are not nice to properties they have when they have no investment!

What else do I need to think about? This is so helpful!!
Hi Kate!

You've gotten a wide variety of answers here--from selling first, to job-hunting first, to lease/purchasing your home there-- I could not tell you which avenue is right for you--that is your call. Just a bit of advice from an outsider, looking in...

1. If you are going to be financing based upon your husband's salary and he is changing careers, he will need to be employed for two years in that same career before applying for a mortgage.
2. If you, on the other hand, can continue your job there and when you ultimately do move here, continue that same line of work--this will be acceptable for financing your new home.
3. I have friends who are real estate agents in several different areas in NH and they have been telling me that the market has turned around dramatically for them. Perhaps you will want to interview a couple of agents to get their perspective on the market and the timeline that you will likely be looking at (selling your home) when you do put your home on the market.
4. Depending upon your belief in renting (you seem to be very money-wise), you may wish to consider a 3-6 month rental here before buying. Spend that 3-6 months investigating the different areas and find the one that best suits your family. As with the answers below, real estate agents have different views on client placement and they're not all alike! Our goal, of course, is to listen to your needs but, sometimes when you live in an area for even a brief period of time, you happen upon an area that just 'feels right' to you and yours. I've moved many new clients from areas where they purchased upon first arriving in Charlotte a year or two before, only to find themselves unhappy where they landed.

When shopping for a new home in a new area, you should really consult a neighborhood specialist--they are few and far between but, know that finding the right area, then narrowing down to neighborhoods, then finding your dream home is the ONLY way to shop for a home! You will want to find the best home value, most certainly but, being happy in your community is far more important--that happiness spills over into your home!

Best of luck on your decision and WELCOME to Charlotte in advance!
Web Reference:
Good morning, Kate.... Having a good equity stake in your new home is valuable, but the lender will want a job to verify. I get the impression from your family situation that you'd rather move as a unit, rather than having your husband lead the way with a job and a rental in Charlotte. That being said, your choices appear to be: 1) Sell your current home first, or 2) List your home with a property manager seeking a one/two year rental.

My experience with homes that are listed for sale with a renter on board is that the renter has no incentive to help you procure a sale. Consequently, somebody with a different set of "goals" is staging your home for sale. In my experience, you home will not show at its best and it will be more difficult to sell.

If you have a little "room to breathe", I'd probably be a bit more agressive on the list price, to push you towards the top of the buyers' preferences. Of course, I'd suggest your home be in the best condition possible. This mix of condition and price should make for a compelling case when people come to look. As to pricing agressively, one has to consider the carrying cost for the next one or two years. With that in mind, a quicker sale at a lower price isn't a bad idea.

I'd suggest beginining the job search now knowing that an employer may not be finalizing their choice for another few months anyway. Depending on what comes along in Charlotte, you can always make the decision to accept or decline at that time. At least that will give you an opportunity to decide.

Insofar as renting or buying when you come to Charlotte, I think it comes down to personal preference. You sound as if you have a good working defintion to your life. A realtor compatible with you and your family should be able to assist you in finding a selection of neighborhoods that meet your criteria. Renting is always an option (especially depending on time), but I don't think it's an absolute prerequisite for finding your next home.

The sale of your home doesn't mean you have to move to Charlotte immediately, by the way, (as I'm sure you know anyway). Upon the sale of your home, you could stay local and rent (or even rent the home you just sold) and continue your job search. It might be easier on the family NOT to move to Charlotte and rent, but rather have your husband continue his job search from NH (maybe visiting Charlotte on occasion). This might mitigate the stress while the job search is still active and allow you and the children to have your usual safety net of famliy and friends.

I hope you find the above helpful. Please feel free to contact me with any questions, and of course, I'd be happy to help you in your search.

Best wishes to you and your family! ..Jim Nuccio...

Broker, NC/SC Keller Willams Realty
Web Reference:

Based on your response to the answers...I think you are doing it wisely. I think that you have to tackle the selling the home first. Not knowing what the market is goign to bear right now and the time frame it is goign to take to sell it... Because if you wait and find a job in Charlotte; then what? Move and hope it sells soon? I know too many people that went that route and they are still waiting to get their homes sold. Best advice is to try and sell your home first..
Kathryn, I should have also pointed out that if you are determined to move to Charlotte, then you could put your home on the market now to get a head start. The home could sell before your husband gets a job here, but then you could rent there in NH until he does find employment. This may be a better alternative for you as it may ease the stress of selling your home once he finds a job.
Kathryn, Your husband needs to get a job here first if you want to be able to make a home purchase when you sell your home. If not, then you will not qualify to get a mortgage loan. Once he gets a job, then you can put your home on the market to sell it. I know you don't want to wait 2- 3 years to sell your home so If the market is still slow after he gets a job here, then you may want to consider renting out your home for a while. Maybe do a rent to own. That or you could consider selling your home for under market value in order to move it faster, but of course still leaving yourself enough money to put down on a home purchase here. If you would like to talk to a second real estate agent in your area in order to get a second opinion about your home value, then I would be happy to refer you to someone. I am a Cartus Certified Relocation Specialist and can refer a great agent to you there. I would also be happy to send you a relocation package about the Charlotte market. Just contact me below if I can help you.

April Crowder
Licensed in NC & SC
Coldwell Banker United, REALTORS
To answer a few more questions....

Our house in NH will sell for significantly less than it would have been worth in other markets (we've already had a relator come in to our home to look around and talk about selling - but we have not signed with her). That said, we still should walk away (even in this market) with about $70,000 profit. We did buy in a sellers market (2002), but we bought a house that was going into forclosure and got a deal. We've also done a lot of work to it (it was built in 1848).

What is important to note is that hubby and I are a parir of Thrifty Yankees (or maybe cheap?). We bought a house we could afford on one income - and we have done that - several times. I stayed home with children over the years while he worked full time. Now I work full time while he's in school full time, working on career #2. Part of the move to Charolotte and the "fresh start" is because the opportunities (for us both) will be muich better in Charlotte. NH Is great, but we live in a very rural area - and in a town of 1700 people!

The goal is to "sink" the profit from thsi house into the new one - AND keep a mortgage that we can afford on ONE income while we make two, The kids are getting older now, and I want to work full time (I work full time now, but I only leave the house 2 days per week to do it). Of course, hubby will work full time when he's done his degree in two years,

I don't want to own two homes (I agree with THAT!) and I don't wantto be house poor. We haven't lost this house (or come close) because only ONE of us ever needed towork to afford it. If more people had done that, maybe we wouldn't be in this forclosure mess!!

Hopefuly, we can time it all well (any suggestions on how to do that??) and we'll opnly have to move our daughetrs ONCE. Keep the answers folks are being SO HELPFUL!!
Kathryn, you have few options. Most of the clients I have worked with to relocate start by putting their home on the market. I would consult a realtor in your area. Right now, most people are coming here and renting until their house sells and they can find jobs. Most of my clients come down and I show them around and we find them a nice rental home. Timing is always important but it just depends on what your goals and timing are. Please visit my website at and view homes for sale and rentals.

I feel your story is what I relived almost six years ago. I moved from Connecticut to Charlotte with a wife and four kids in tow. Let me ttell you what I did and would have done knowing what I know now.

First, you need to put your house on the market in NH. Are you in a position where you can sell right away? The market in the Northeast is starting to see a turn around. If you are having difficulty selling your home ro the Realtor has explained it may take soem time, consider putting it out there for rent as well as for sale.....this will give you the flexibility to move quicker.

Second, Begin NOW looking for jobs down here. When we decided to move to the Charflotte area I was in auto sales and started sending my resume around to get a guage of the market down here for jobs. Based on what you and yoru husband do for work you might bne suprised at the pay scale versus cost fo living. I was able to land a job paying more than I was making in CT. and live for less. What I did was take the job and went into a sort term rental until the house closed and the kids were done with the last month of school. Rentals in Charlotte are extremely reasonable.

Third, I would not buy right away when you move to Charlotte area. I bought withn a certain driving distance of where I worked. Thoough we like the area in retrospect we think we should have rented for a year, It would have allowed us to look around a little more and decide on the "perfect" area for our family.

Best of luck in your is not easy especially with children. if there si anything I can do to help you please give me a call at 704-519-7895 or e-mail me back. at
Web Reference:
Hi Kate,
You certainly do have your hands full. For starters it may help you to know that no one solves all of those problems at once. At the risk of sounding trite my first recommendation would be to start a list. You may want to free scroll for a bit and just ramble about everything on your mind. At some point you should be able to start organizing what you can do up front and what can wait. Here's a few suggestions for your list:

1) Will you need a home loan to move?

2) If, yes, research a reputable lender and get some answers as to if you'll have to sell your current home before buying another. If you change jobs will you qualify for a home loan. If you need help choosing a lender ask me I will make some recommendations.

3) If, you are not able to qualify for an additional home loan and you need to move an excellent resource in Charlotte is:

This website will help you find homes that you can rent to own. They even have a program where they will work with you and the owner of a for sale home to help get you in. Of course, you always have the option to just rent. Renting has the disadvantage of having to make another move, but it also has the advantage of giving you time to re-establish job stability and more carefully choose your new home & neighborhood.

4) Do you have a timetable that you are compelled to follow, or can you make your own? Either way answering this question will help give you direction and and more clarity.

Confusion is not a bad thing. It often happens in times of change. Changing jobs and cities is major change. Be good to yourself and take the time to sort and organize. Take some time for yourself and don't think about the move at all. This may be one of those times where it just takes time. If it is, deep breaths, patience, faith, and maybe a little philosophy can go a long way. Hang in there Kathryn, Charlotte is rooting for you!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 29, 2010
I think your dilemma pretty much sums up the entire housing crisis .... just with out the bad loan and you didn't mention if you bought at the top of the market. There are hundreds of thousands of people that want to move...whether across town or across the country and they are all jammed up because there just are not enough buyers. With lending being so tight I would suggest you work with an agent that can help you do a lease purchase or a lease with an option to buy on your home in NH. (of course also try and get a normal buyer) This will get someone in the house, paying rent and they will be working towards buying your home. There may very well be a someone that would love to buy a house but can not get traditional lenders to give them a loan. Yet by working towards ownership by making you payments it may be possible.
In the mean time you need to find a job in Charlotte... and I would suggest you rent here, so you can learn the lay of the land and see how your home sale goes.

Moving can be a big challenge especially when you have so many aspects to look at. Since you or your husband do not have jobs here ...I would start with that and consider renting for a little while. Renting can give you some great benefits. You get a chance to learn different areas, get used to salary differences, adjust to the weather differences and make sure that everyone is happy. Renting may even be an option you want to consider for your home in NH.

While searching for jobs plan a few house hunting trips. This will also help you get used to the area and give you some time to interview. If you would like a tour of the city or additional information feel free to contact me.

My husband and I have had to relocate many times. We have finally been able to put down roots in Charlotte and we love Charlotte very much. I hope that you enjoy it as much as we do!

Best Wishes!
Erika Marsh Pitman
Coldwell Banker United, Realtors
Web Reference:

I agree with Amy, but I also recommend interviewing at least three Realtors in both NH and here in Charlotte. Moreover, don't just settle with a cookie cutter agent. Don't just go with a name or large firm, focus on whether or not he/she is an actual full-time realtor and not just moonlighting in the craft.

Lastly, before you hire your Realtor in NH, have him/her perform a thorough and realistic market analysis of your home and potential new home. A good realtor will perform a good market analysis and provide you with area demographics, including crime rates, school data, and community data. You know your area because -ou live there, if your Realtor doesn't know the area as well as you do, he/she can't possibly do as good a job as one that would.

If my team and I can help you further in any way, please don't hesitate to reach out to us. Don't just think of the possibilities, Dwell in them.

Felix Virto
Dwell Charlotte Real Estate Solutions
Hi there, first order of business is to get your home listed in NH. Work with a hard working full time agent that has the knowledge and experience to price properly and maximize the exposure of your home. The importance of online marketing cannot be emphasized enough - be sure your agent has the expertise to capitalize on the power of the is very likely that your buyer will find your home there.

Coordinating a long distance move that involves finding work, selling and a home and buying a new one is daunting, particularly if you are operating without relo benefits from an existing employer. So I suggest you focus on selling your home while you begin the process of exploring job opportunities in North Carolina ~ that will guide your housing search. A good agent -and Trulia is a great place to start your search for an agent, will be able to help you get your arms around the local housing market in North Carolina. Incidentally, on both the sale and buy side, be sure the agents you work with are full time...this is no market, nor is this undertaking, for dabblers.

It will be far better to sell, find work, and rent for a while then find yourself in a position of owning two homes.

Good luck on all fronts!!
Jeanne Feenick
Unwavering Commitment to Service
Web Reference:
Hi, I was in your boat not more than 4 yrs ago. Send me a quick email and let me know what you are looking for. I have 1st hand experience as we relocated from CA. I love helping ppl. in the same boat.
Good luck and hope to hear from you soon!
Web Reference:
Hi my name is Craig White with Mathers Realty in Charlotte. You can contact me at and I can help you with your home purchase and relocation to Charlotte.