Moving in Jacksonville>Question Details

Mark Watson, Renter in Jacksonville, FL

Hello ... We are moving from the Big Island of Hawaii to the JAX area ... We know nothing of the area and are looking for a long term lease

Asked by Mark Watson, Jacksonville, FL Sat Oct 29, 2011

We love the beaches so we're thinking anything but the west side .... We're looking anywhere between Amelia Island and St. Augustine ... 3 bedrooms residential home long term lease.... Any and all help would be greatly appreciated ...... Thank You

Answers

8
Douglas Dickie’s answer
In the State of Florida the longest Lease term is one year and it can not be auto renewing

Find a good Property Manager to help you with your transition to the great State of Florida

Doug

Doug Dickie, Property Manager, Realtor
Zenith Realty Inc
904 215-0676
904 568-7080 Cell
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 29, 2011
Long term lease to me would be 2, 3, 4 years .... I dislike moving ... LOL
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 29, 2011
Mark, what length is long term in your opinion? A year?
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 29, 2011
If you would like to stay in the property 2+ years then it is best to try to get as much information about the Owner and the property before you rent it. For example, is the Owner in the military and plan on coming back in the next few years (or have they just left on their deployment and will be gone at least xnumber of years).

Is the Owner a seasoned investor and has no interest in selling the property any time soon? What are the Owners plans for the property within the next couple of years? All of my Owners would love a Renter like you that would execute a multiple year lease!

My company has a mixture of all those and I can tell a potential resident the chances of being able to stay long term in a property. Of course, you need to make sure the property isn't in jeopardy of foreclosure either!

If the State of Florida Supreme Court approved lease for residential properties is used, then yes, it specifically states that the lease period can be no more than 1 year. However, some (like me) use a lease drafted by an Attorney which can be for however long we agree it to be but if longer than 1 year, it does need to be in writing and signed by 2 witnesses.
Hi Mark,
You can do longer than a one year lease, but you have to have an attorney draw it up. Our attorney writes them and we have tenants in a property right now that are committed for three years. Real estate agents are not allowed to do more than a one year lease without having an attorney draw it up.

However, I will tell you that Jacksonville is one of the top 10 cities in the nation, according to Trulia, where it is cheaper to buy than to rent. If you are going to be here for three years, maybe you will be here longer? If so, you may want to consider buying. In addition, Fox Business says to invest in our real estate market right now. Here is a link to their video (you may have to copy and paste).

http://video.foxbusiness.com/v/1202323596001/why-you-should-…

Not trying to talk you out of renting, but to consider all your options. The cost of buying over the long haul is much better. Here is a link to another article that highlights this from Forbes.com:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/financialfinesse/2011/10/13/the-…

Hope this was helpful to you. If we may be of further service, please contact us.

Sharon Alters
Coldwell Banker Vanguard
Team Alters
sharon@teamalters.com
904-673-2308
Web Reference: http://teamalters.com
All you have to do is answer to my Email and I will send the listings you are looking for and with a little more information maybe we could find the next home for you

Dickieservices@bellsouth.net

Doug Dickie
Zenith Realty
904 215-0676
Dickieservices@bellsouth.net
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 29, 2011
Our lease is up end of February here ..... I have no way of physically visiting neighborhoods till we arrive but would like to get a great feel of what's going on before hand .... One year leases are great .... I will look into finding a good property manager .... thank you for your help everyone ......
Mark...it depends on your property manager. After we determine your needs, then we can find you a rental property in which you can renew your lease or rent to own. Hope this helps.