Moving in San Rafael>Question Details

Bill.branch, Home Buyer in San Rafael, CA

Good Afternoon, Need an agent that will find a good fit for my family. We are professionals and will be moving to San Rafael in the next 2 months.

Asked by Bill.branch, San Rafael, CA Tue May 29, 2012

We want to rent and eventually buy a house on a large plot about an acre. It can be 25 miles away from San Rafael and it can be "off the beaten path", even a dirt road would be fun. We need to plan for all the usual costs so a check sheet will be nice with considerations such as electric, water, insurance (house/car/life for the area), day care rates, traffic congestion (how bad/good), crime? and more...you get the picture. Please contact me at bill.branch@gmail.com. We will most likely rent for the 1st six months. Also, whats the story with all the foreclosed homes?

Answers

4
Bill,

The first thing that we would need to know is your price range plus minimum criteria for bedrooms, baths, square footage, any other necessities, etc. Having an acre or more of land will be somewhat expensive in Marin. would you consider West Marin or southern Sonoma County??

If you plan to rent, please let us know what your rental price range is per month.

Electric and gas costs depend on the energy efficiency of the home as well as the type of construction and size of the home. Insurance is usually tied to the cost of the home and whether or not flood insurance is required OR if you decide to obtain earthquake insurance as well.

Daycare costs vary from area to area. Traffic congestion is usually worse the further north or west your location.

Crime...you would need to check with each individual police/sheriff dept., but in general, it is quite low in Marin.

Foreclosed homes are available, but they are becoming fewer as the market improves.

Let us know if you have any more questions!! We can't really assist you without further information.

Mary Kay and Kathy
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue May 29, 2012
Thanks for the reply, we are excited to look at any location regardless of the county and all of Marin County is fair game...it is fairly small compared to Coconino County (2nd largest in lower 48). We currently have a 2 acre house in the forest on a wonderful dirt road which we have (the space) become accustom too.
Flag Wed May 30, 2012
Hi Bill,

I just sent you a long email directly, but wanted to make sure you got it, sometimes my emails go into spam. Be sure to check there! Also I do ho9ld monthly seminars for families looking to make the move to Marin, (I have one tonight) but there will be another one in June if you are going to be here:

http://www.MyMarinHouse.com

I look forward to talking to you!

Liz McCarthy
415-250-4929
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue May 29, 2012
Liz, Thank you for your email, I did get it and look forward to talking to you...
Flag Tue May 29, 2012
We have a 2-story, 3 bedroom, 3 bath home in San Rafael; contact Tam Property management. House is in move-condition
Hello Bill,

All of your cost concerns can be addressed in the rental process when you hone in on the property location that best suits your family's needs. The search can be done online or purusing the neighborhoods that are of interest after your move here to Marin. I'll be happy to provide the information regarding forclosures, day care, utility & insurance rates, traffic and neighborhood crime activity while you are in the process of locating your rental and eventual purchase.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Cecile Hawkins
415-385-5202
chawkins@apr.com
Thank you for your swift reply...I will call very soon.
Flag Tue May 29, 2012