Moving in Pittsburgh>Question Details

Omarbilal, Other/Just Looking in Pittsburgh, PA

Friendly place to live in?

Asked by Omarbilal, Pittsburgh, PA Thu Aug 9, 2012

Greetings everyone,

My family and I are from the Middle East and we are considering to move to America since I want to study there. However, we are worried about the problems of anti-Islam or anti-Arab that we have been reading about in the news; in other words we are afraid from religious discrimination. What Muslim-friendly areas in Pittsburgh would you recommend, if any?

Omar Bilal

Answers

5
Voices Member’s answer
Hello Omar,

Pittsburgh is an increasingly diverse city drawing immigrants and visitors from many countries for education, health care, engineering, manufacturing and service.

There are several mosques and islamic centers in the Pittsburgh area, as well as an Islamic Studies program sponsored by the University of Pittsburgh and a number of regional universities.

As to our laws, as other agents have said, there is no discrimination permitted in housing based on religion, nationality, or foreign origin. The fact is that you are not required to be a US citizen to own property in the US.

Feel free to contact me if you still have questions, or if I can help you find a place to live in the Pittsburgh area.

Kind Regards,

Brian Byrnes
Omar
When something is in the national or world news it is because it is unusual. And the three world news events I have been witness to the American news were off base on two and the BBC in at least one also got it wrong. That said Pittsburgh is a great place for you and anyone else. I was asked (told) to leave an Arab country before dark, because they felt I may be christian. They never asked. Stupid people are everywhere just like good people are everywhere. Come to school, study hard and rent what you can afford. Price increases you chance of safety just like it does everywhere else. If you look for hate here or anywhere else you can find it. Come with the mindset of being your best an making friends and you will do fine.

Benny Smith
Hi Omar,

I would love to help you 412 596 6095; I would assure you that we have a very diverse culture in Pittsburgh especially when living near the universities and urban core. If you are friendly outgoing and get involved in your community, you will be loved as a neughbor. You can google demgraphic information; education level may be an indicator of cultural awareness as anywhere.
Email me: Janice.caputo@pittsburghmoves.com
Welcome to Pittsburgh.
Your new friend,
Blair
I understand your concerns, but we are not allowed to discriminate, one way or the other way, to know or suggest areas based on National Origin or Religion. You will have to find the answer to your question someplace other than from a Realtor based website. Good luck and we hope you find your way to the USA.