Moving in Sacramento>Question Details

Essence, Home Buyer in 95757

Family moving to Elk Grove

Asked by Essence, 95757 Fri Dec 23, 2011

My family and I are thinking of moving to Elk Grove or natomas. I'm leaning more towards Elk Grove but I would like other opinions on Elk Grove or Natomas. I have 2 kids in high school and 1 in elementary.

Answers

9
James Tan’s answer
Elk Grove has a very good school district which is important for you since you have 3 kids. Elk Grove is bigger and as a city it has its own police, etc.

Natomas has only a few (charter) schools which are good. However they are full, and not so easy to get in. Also, in Natomas you will need flood insurance. It is also close to Del Paso Heights, which is a low income, high crime neighborhood. However, on the plus side, Natomas is much more strategically located, very near the airport, very near downtown. A lot of shopping centers near by, etc.

It is a trade-off to choose between the two, and it all depends on your own circumstances. If your kids education are very important factors, probably you should be considering Elk Grove.
Hi Matthew,

As an agent who lives in Elk Grove I thought I'd toss in my two cents. Personally I love the family feel of this city and I like that for a city of 150k people it does not feel like that, ie the streets do not have very heavy congestion in comparison to Watt Ave or Howe Ave during the rush hours. Elk Grove is part of Sacramento County, we do not have our own county so the taxes are the same however there are several area's of Elk Grove (new construction) that have what is called Mello-Roos, this is technically not a tax but a loan that the homeowners pay to cover the costs of laying in all the streets, new fire departments needed and such. Some areas can have high Mello-Roos, others have little to none, that is something we can check for you prior to you writting any offers on homes though.
Elk Grove has pretty low crime stats (look at crimemapping.com for true comparisions) which is my personal favorite and the reason why my husband and I moved here. Most of Natomas you would need flood insurance for because it is a pretty wide spread flood zone, you would not need this additional insurance for the majority of Elk Grove. Depending on what you need for commute it can be long if your traveling in rush hours, this is the one thing I do not like but I found that I can either take the 5 to avoid the 99 madness or I can use the back roads. Its rare that I have to go to Sacramento for shopping purposes since most of what I need is already here. We have loads of parks, great little trails all over, quite a bit of churches too if that is important for you. So as you can tell I favor Elk Grove, its a great place. I would say to really explore each city, drive around to look at the ammenities you like and compare the vibe each city has. I would also say to check out homes in both places, by driving around with a realtor you can get a good sense for each place.

If you have any other questions or would like to check out some places, give me a ring and I'll be happy to show you around.
Web Reference: http://AmenRealEstate.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 23, 2011
They are both good areas and price wise very close. Elk Grove is larger, and will definitely have more options for you in terms of buying. There are multiple neighborhoods, and many more schools to choose from, as well as older parts that create a "charm" you could say. Natomas though, is closer to the airport and downtown, and for some people that's important. Someone said taxes are higher in Elk Grove county - that is wrong. Elk Grove and Sacramento are the same county.
Web Reference: http://www.teamhybridre.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 30, 2011
You should really try and visit both of the areas before you make any decisions if at all possible. Drive around the neighborhoods in your price range, visit the high schools, check out the shopping and grocery stores. Try and get a feel for what you want.
@Lee, Elk Grove is not a County, its within Sacramento County. Tax rates are the same, difference are Mello Roos and Bonds (MR&B). Depending on location of the property, some subdivisions MR&B are higher than others. Do your homeworks for that particular property you are buying and here is tax link for Sacramento County:
http://www.eproptax.saccounty.net/Redemption.asp

All good but also remember taxes are higher in Elk Grove county than Sacramento county.Sit down with an agent and get all your question answered.
Go over the needs of your family. Where will you be working? is the commute distance important? Will you be traveling with works (natomas is very close to the airport). I believe you've intimated that schools are important ....but what other interests does your family have that might affect your desire for a location? Church, sports,...anything else? I believe the housing costs may be similar but you might want to search in both areas to get familiar with home values there.

If you currently live in the area, spend time in each area, driving, shopping, visiting ...get familiar with the areas and the choice may become clearer.
Web Reference: http://www.suearcher.com
Not sure what your question is, but if about schools, Google Elk Grove Unified School district and the Natomas district. Both communities are similarly planned, both have award winning schools. You will most likely need flood insurance in Natomas, if purchasing, Elk Grove is a longer drive into Sacramento, but not much.

So several options to weigh, there are just a few for you.

Web Reference: http://www.kyleeroe.com
You should check out http://www.city-data.com where there are stats on the area cities and also Q & A for each community answered by people that live there.