Moving in Chicago>Question Details

morr7694, Real Estate Pro in Portland, OR

Family friendly neighborhoods?

Asked by morr7694, Portland, OR Fri Nov 22, 2013

My husband and I with our 2 daughters (2 & 6) are possibly moving to Chicago with a job transfer. Want to know what are some of the more family friendly neighborhoods that have great public schools and are in walking distance to parks, shops, and restaurants. Looking at renting the first year and then possibly buying after that. Any advice will be most appreciated.

0 votes Share Flag Moving in Chicago

Answers

12
Dear Morr,

If you are looking to move to Chicago one of the most popular neighborhoods because of the schools is North Center. North Center has great restaurants, shops, parks, etc for the kids and is centrally located to Lake Shore Drive and 90/94, and close to the CTA Brown Line.
My daughter grew up & went to school in Chicago until she moved to Portland to go to college. She's still in Portland, but she knows Chicago as well as anyone & could give you great advice I'm sure, as I can. My son still lives here & sends his 3 kids to public school in the city. So, call or email me & I'll advise you & give you contact info for my daughter & you'll have all the first hand advice you can absorb! bbiederman@citypointrealty.com or 773-914-5309
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 23, 2013
We can really answer that question, but I personally would advise renting for 6-12 months to get a feel of what the neighborhoods have to offer. Chicago's neighborhoods are all VERY different.

I can help you a rental and or a purchase, let me know, thanks.

Garrett Steve
31249348446
I suggest interviewing a few Realtors and choose someone you become comfortable with. Someone may be a good fit for one family but not another and it does not always mean they are a good or bad worker. Ask for references and even check on previous sales.
Work with a Realtor to assist you in finding an appropriate rental for you. Many great areas exist - much of this will depend on your budget and size of rental you are looking for. Should you need any assistance feel free to contact me.
Web Reference: http://www.BJDHOMES.com
I would be more than happy to help you with your lease this year and your purchase next year. I am a lifelong Chicagoland area resident. I can help you with both the suburbs and the city.

Please feel free to call me to discuss your needs and wants in your new home.

Paula Calzolari
312.968.9335
I would get a good Leasing Agent to help you. They can guide you through the process at no cost to you.
Hello Mrs. Morr,

There are a few great neighborhoods in the city and plenty of suburban areas that will provide you with you have outlined here.

Would love to have a one-on-one conversation regarding your specific needs.

Call me!
If you're looking to live in one our Chicago's neighborhoods, Lincoln Park is a great area for everything that you've listed. Schools are great, and you're in walking distance of anything you'd possible want to do.
Elmhurst is a good town for all that
SchoolSparrow.com will give you test scores. I love the North side of the city and the North Shore for burbs. The North Shore public schools are a big draw for many families with children. contact me for a more in depth conversation regarding my preferred areas that will fit your needs ; )
Are you interested in living in the city or suburbs? I would suggest you talk to a few realtors and see which one best suits your needs. Lakeview, Roscoe Village, Lincoln Park, Lincoln Square, Andersonville are some great locations in the city. Please feel free to let me know if you have any questions or need some help weighing options. 630-518-8872. Thanks, Kurt