Moving in Denver>Question Details

Saraefowler, Home Buyer in Washington, DC

Denver Neighborhoods for late 20's Couple

Asked by Saraefowler, Washington, DC Sun Feb 16, 2014

Hi There,

We're looking to relocate to the Denver area from the east coast for medical school and are looking for some neighborhood recommendations. We're hoping to rent a house with a yard for at least the first year before getting to settled. We'll be moving from a city environment (DC) and looking for something a bit more suburban while not too far from shopping, gyms, restaurants, etc. Affordability is also an important factor. Any suggestions are appreciated!

0 votes Share Flag Moving in Denver

Answers

11
I have a cute 2 bedroom house in Denver very centerally located. Close to almost everything shopping, highways, gyms etc.. Very reasonably priced witha large fenced in yard. You can email me at psadvantages@gmail .com
Hi Sara,

Congratulations on the move to Denver. I moved my family out here a few years ago and am so glad that we did. I can sympathize with what you are going through when moving from an east coast city, as we moved from Boston. We looked all over Denver and found that there were many great neighborhoods to live, but ended up settling in Denver's Stapleton neighborhood. Depending on where you are going to school and if you are working at one of the hospitals, then I would have a better idea on potential neighborhoods for you. A few neighborhoods that come to mind that you should explore: Congress Park, City Park, Mayfair, Montclair, Park Hill, Capitol Hill, Highlands, and Cherry Creek to name a few. There are also a couple of newer neighborhoods that you should drive around and maybe grab lunch - Lowry and Stapleton. Feel free to reach out if you I can be of assistance.

Best of luck to you and your family.

Cheers,

Greg
Welcome to Denver! I think you're going to love our community. Not sure which school/campus you'll need to be close to. The two likely locations are downtown Denver, or northeast Aurora.

If you're going to be downtown, you may want to consider locations near I25 and Colorado Blvd. If you go north on Colorado Blvd, from I25, the neighborhoods that are east of Colorado Blvd, all the way north to Mississippi St, would be good areas. They are older suburban neighborhoods, and they are close to shopping and gyms. They are also close to light rail transit that will you take you to the downtown Anschutz medical campus, professional sports venues, and lots of night life. And, I25 will runs north/south through the entire metro area if you need to drive somewhere.

If you're going to be at the northeast Aurora campus, you'll be close to I225 & Colfax. That area is being redeveloped, so there are some new condo and apartment complexes being built, and there are plenty of older neighborhoods there as well. If you're looking for newer, and affordable communities, you may want to consider heading a few exits south on I225 to Illif, then east to Chambers Road. There are several suburban neighborhoods south of Iliff and East of Buckley that would work for you.

That's just a sample of several communities that could work for you, but those would be good places to start. Best of look to you and again, welcome to Denver!
your first years medical school are going to be at the fitzsimmons campus. This is on the north east corner of the Denver metro area and far from central Denver. You will likely be using either car or bus transport. For convenience, you might want to stay away from the communitys that are not served by easy freeway access or convenient bus service. I would not (for example) locate in west littleton or similar locations. Explore the freeway corridors or consider areas like the stapleton and lowrey developments(close in to the med center). Went through the same thing myself some years ago. Wish you luck. Call me if i can be of help....720-301-0893

Joseph verbrugge
Hi Sara,

Based on what you've described, you might want to consider the Highland & Berkeley areas. It's about as close to downtown as you can get and still be in a century-old suburb.

Check out more about the neighborhood here: http://highlanddenver.com/

MG
Hi Sara,

Welcome to Denver! I think you're going to love the change of pace and certainly a little more sunshine than DC has seen this winter. Where will you be attending medical school? So, I can keep that in mind when recommending a neighborhood with a minimal commute.

Here is a great resource for you that lets you click on the neighborhood and then tells you a little about the houses, activities, and attractions to living in that area http://www.preferreddenver.com/map.html. But, once I learn a little bit more about what you are looking for I can give a more tailored recommendation. I look forward to talking further, my cell phone is 720-470-7622 and email megandoug@gmail.com.

Megan
Depends which hospital you are going to be working at? We specialize in the areas around University Hospital, Children's Hospital and Rose Medical Center. I would be happy to look into rentals for you, if you will send me more information?
Charm Gilmore
Roet Realty
2247 Kearney St.
Denver, CO 80207
Office: 303-862-8846
Mobile: 303-548-5288
Currently we only have a 1 bedroom, 1 bath located in Old Town Arvada that rents for $795.00 per month. This does include heat, water/sewer and trash. The wifi and storage are also included. The best suggestion I have would be to check our website at http://www.modprop.info for availability. Another source would be Craigslist. Depending on where you will be going to medical school would determine what area you might want to live in as well as a price range.

Should you have any other questions, please feel free to contact me at 303-683-1774.

Patty
Dear Saraefowler, congrats on making the move to Denver. The first neighborhood that comes to mind when I read your post is University Hills, because it really is a hybrid of all the things you mentioned. It's on the southern edge of Denver, so it's still WITHIN the city BUT it's got a much more suburban feel for having a Denver address. It's a safe neighborhood, and there are a ton of restaurants in a fairly close range, tons of shopping, gyms, etcetera, and the prices are pretty reasonable too, compared to Downtown Denver!! I think you guys might really like that part of town, based on what you said you're looking for. Best of luck to you guys on your move! Josh Perkins, Your Castle Real Estate, Denver, CO 720.985.6834
Hello Sara,

With the limited information you have provide and having a big friends circle in Medical profession, I will highly recommend Stapleton / Park Hill/ Mayfair Area of Denver. I have few properties in these areas and are rented by Medical staff and Resident Doctors. Certainly, these areas are not suburban but it is nowhere as urban as DC. This part of Denver is in the middle of the two major hub of Medical School and hospitals (Fitzsimons Campus, Aurora on the East and UCD Campus and Denver General , Jewish Medical Center on the West. The following link will provide you with information on Stapleton Community - (http://www.stapletondenver.com).

If you have any further questions feel free to contact me directly and will do my best to guide you.
How exciting! We've known several people who have relocated to the Denver area for exactly the same reason. I assume that you will probably be involved with the University Hospital. It is now located quite a ways out from Metro Denver area and definitely away from the mountains. With the highway system, you are actually only about a 40 minute drive to the foothills from the University Hospital. I think they were thinking Kansas when they built it. :)

For a young couple who doesn't mind a 30-40 minute drive, the North Highlands area around 40th and east of Federal Blvd, is a really cool location with a great walking score to literally everything you can imagine. The population is 20-30's and the older houses in the area have either been completely leveled or modernized.

It is a beautifully appealing location midway between the mountains and the University Hospital. Let me know if you want me to start looking around for you. If you give me more details about your preferred location, I can round up several options.

Please give me a cal or email any time. :) You realty friend in Denver, CO jtolmanrealestate@gmail.com

Jeanette Tolman, Agent
Cherry Creek Properties
http://www.CherryCreekPropertiesLLC.com
Phone: 303-303-868-1873
Fax: 303-432-3114
jtolmanrealestate@gmail.com