Moving in Raleigh>Question Details

Parentsrmovi…, Other/Just Looking in Raleigh, NC

Could someone suggest the best area for a retiree to live in the Raleigh area? Any certain areas where the concentration of retirees is greater?

Asked by Parentsrmoving2nc, Raleigh, NC Wed Jan 27, 2010

My parents are looking to move to Raleigh, and asked where most of the retirees live, and i had no idea. Any suggestions are appreciated!

0 votes Share Flag Moving in Raleigh

Answers

8
If you are speaking of an actual adult living community with wonderful surroundings in Raleigh Ivy Hall is an approved active adult community. I live right around the corner and there are great features like the YMCA being just blocks away as well as gym that caters to the community. There are 2 large grocery stores within walking distance as well as being close to Wake Med North.

It is really best if you start to consider the things that are important to your parents like proximity to doctors, ease of traffic to any certain location, desire to visit local parks, museums or the ballet? Once you determine the needs of your parents it will be much easier to find a community they are comfortable in. As Mike said, agents are not allowed to discuss the demographics of neighborhoods unless your asking for specific information on approved adult living neighborhoods. Feel free to contact us for either and further guidance.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jan 27, 2010
If you don't have an agent may I suggest that you hire one that is a SRES (Senior Real Estate Specialist). I am not one but I employ a Broker named Ann Mainor who has this designation as well as experience is transitional housing and senior living. She specializes in the senior market and has over 15 years of real estate experience. Below is a link to the SRES website which also has great resources for the over 50 moving crowd and information about the addition training and knowledge that the SRES agents have obtained. Typically they are most aware of those communities in their market that would best meet the needs of the over 50 home buyer.

Good luck with helping them relocate and congrats on getting them to move closer to you :-)
there are other areas well. As has been said, if it's 55+ housing, you've been given the options I know of. Not sure if the Cypress, in North Raleigh, which has active adult and continuing care, meets your/their needs. It is fairly expensive though.

They might also like the Pinehurst area, which has a large number of retirees and tons of amenities, especially golf of course. And, it's only `45 minutes to Cary from there, takes no more than an hour and a 15 minutes from Raleigh.
Thank you all so much! The information was very helpful. Mom and Dad are coming for a visit soon, and at least I have an idea of where to start. Thanks again! :)
The best way to answer this question would be to ask your parents a few questions about their lifestyle, wants and needs. Is there a commute to consider to be close to you? Are they looking for an active adult community or not?

I have been doing real estate in this area for 15 years and would be thrilled to discuss options with your parents. As you have read below we cannot discuss age it's a protected class and I would agree with all of the other other communities, especially the one mentioned in Cary, the Preserve. It's wonderful there.
Are your folks looking for Active Adult living, in a HUD-compliant 55+ Community?
Obviously these communities are nearly exclusively retirees.

There is the Pulte/Del Webb community, Carolina Preserve @ Amberly in Cary. It is hugely popular with great amenities.
There is Heritage Pines in Cary, which is less extensive, but has a great location.

In Garner you can see The Villages of Aversboro.
You might consider the Villas of Wake Forest.
Chapelwood is another one, in Chapel Hill.

Actually, Real estate agents are barred from discussing age demographics, unless you are talking about a Hud-Compliant 55+ community.
Fair Housing laws rule that "Age" is a "protected class."
Web Reference: http://www.MikeJaquish.com
Hello Moving In Raleigh,There are many amenities and activities to offer in this area.I would suggest a visit to the area for a weekdend ,a day tour and a chance to meet you and your lifestyle and I'm sure we will find an area that will be a perfect match.
Regards
Roger Kenney
The City of Cary has one of the best developed programs for all kinds of different activities, but it also has higher property values that come with being one of the most sought-after locations. There are so many different areas that are great! What kind of price point are they considering, and what type of home?
Web Reference: http://www.StantonHomes.com