Moving in 90027>Question Details

Anderson3415, Other/Just Looking in 90027

Can I transfer apartments in a section 8 building?

Asked by Anderson3415, 90027 Sun May 10, 2009

I currently live in a section 8 apartment and would like to swap apartments with another tenant. Can I do this? My landlord told me since both apartments are occupied, I could not. He said I can only move into a vacant apartment. Is there a way around this?

0 votes Share Flag Moving in 90027

Answers

4
I would contact the landlord and tenant affairs of my jurisdiction if I were you. Sounds like you guys may NOT do the swap.

--
Web Reference: http://www.penfedrealty.com
Section 8 only cares if the apart. is clean, no broken windows, water heater is working and the unit is habitable. As long as your lease is up or your landlord will let you switch out to another unit, you're fine. To get a better understanding of all of this, you can call your sec. 8 rep at anytime and they will be happy to help you out. Your reps name is in the packet of info you got when you signed up for sec. 8 and got your voucher.
Just because you are in Section 8 does not give you any special tenant rights above what is normally afforded.

The landlord will be the one ultimately making this call, so I'd approach him. Also, does the other tenant want to switch with you?
Since the landlord owns the building,I believe it's his call.