Debra Pope, Other/Just Looking in Columbia, SC

why are the taxes so high in this area ???

Asked by Debra Pope, Columbia, SC Sat Nov 16, 2013

This question was asked from http://www.trulia.com/property/1062280617-212-Berea-Forest-C…

Answers

5
Debra the taxes on this property are currently based as a non-owner occupied residence and therefore the tax rate is calculated at 6% instead of 4%.. according to the Greenville County Tax Accessors office and several other homes in this same neighborhood are also taxed as non-owner occupied properties, which gives the appearance that the taxes are high for the area. The actual taxes for this area should be around half that amount when checking other owner occupied properties on the same street.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance as you scearch.

Charlotte B. Ellison
President
Key Mortgage Group, Inc.
(864) 395-8612
The tax rate on this home are at 6% vs the owner occupant rate of 4%. If there is anything i can help you with please feel free to contact me. Thanks- Michael Vallely/Realty Advisors
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 16, 2013
Did you make sure it's not taxed at 6%
Did you make sure it's not taxed at 6%
This home is probably being taxed at the higher investor tax rate. SC has two tax rates. There is a lower rate for owner occupied properties (using a formula that factors 4% of the assessed value). Owners using a property as a rental or 2nd home are taxed at a higher rate (using a formula that factors 6% of the assessed value). If this were a primary residence the taxes would be reduced by more then half.
.
Thank you so much, you explained it the best for my understanding
Flag Sat Nov 16, 2013