Jack Chuang, Other/Just Looking in Fremont, CA

where can I get a year year-by-year avg sq/ft sale price for all San Mateo zipcodes from 1999 to 2011? Or better yet, can someone post it?

Asked by Jack Chuang, Fremont, CA Sun Feb 20, 2011

Also, maybe you could feature it on your blog or newslettter so you're not just doing it for me. Do it for yourself!

Answers

10
Hi Jack,

Good question, I'll be happy to answer. As a disclaimer, like the other posters said, San Mateo has a number of vastly different neighborhoods. However, most of them seem to follow a similar price trend. Anyways, here you go:

2001 -- Jun.01: $367 / sqft -- Dec.01: $336 / sqft
2002 -- Jun.01: $351 / sqft -- Dec.01: $352 / sqft
2003 -- Jun.01: $363 / Sqft -- Dec.01: $380 / Sqft
2004 -- Jun.01: $426 / Sqft -- Dec.01: $461 / Sqft
2005 -- Jun.01: $513 / Sqft -- Dec.01: $510 / Sqft
2006 -- Jun.01: $524 / Sqft -- Dec.01: $495 / Sqft
2007 -- Jun.01: $523 / Sqft -- Dec.01: $527 / Sqft
2008 -- Jun.01: $484 / Sqft -- Dec.01: $394 / Sqft
2009 -- Jun.01: $416 / Sqft -- Dec.01: $425 / Sqft
2010 -- Jun.01: $391 / Sqft -- Dec.01: $373 / Sqft

The trend shows that there was a huge upswing starting in 2004, with the highest peaks between 2005-2007. But 2008 brought on a sharp drop-off. We had a brief upswing in 2009 (which didn't even come close to the 05-07 peaks), but 2010 brought us back down to where values were at in 2003.

I hope this helps! Let me know if if I can be of further assistance.

~Slava
Realtor, Short Sale Specialist
deruginproperties@gmail.com
look up the realtor association for the area and monthly statistics shouls be there
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Apr 11, 2011
Hello Jack

Excellent question to obtain a glimpse of the history of San Mateo. However, I would caution you on relying too heavily on that specific information when you make your buying decisions. The main reason is that it is not usually very accurate in determining true market value as much of the information depends on the stated square footage, which may not represent the actual usable square footage. Assessor's information is often not correct as many homes in San Mateo have been expanded and/or added onto over the years.

The other issue is that San Mateo is a large city that incorporates many different and diverse neighborhoods. So, when you search using an annual avg. sq ft. calculation, this number can vary greatly depending on which neighborhood(s) and/or zip codes that you are most interested in. If you have a specific area that you wish to research, feel free and shoot me an email with those details and I can send you a history of that particular neighborhood.

Happy hunting!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Feb 20, 2011
Slava thanks for the response. Though I think I misworded my original question out of haste. What I'm really curious about are the sq/ft prices of condos broken down by each major San Mateo zipcode. And really, the bigger and more important question I should be asking -- is there a site that posts such data for free?

Sounds silly that something like this is not currently public domain.
Jack it sounds like you're running a regression analysis on the information, am I correct in my assumption?
Jack,
The information you are asking for is not a secret, nor is it commonly published as a useful stat. Price per square foot is vague, and subject to lots of variables. Median or average selling price will likely give you the general trends you may be looking for.
I'm not in your market, but if I were and attempting to get this data for you, I'd have to run a number of searches based on various assumptions to come up with some figures. If two other agents did the same thing, we'd all come up with different data based on some different assumptions.
Generally when people are asking me for this type of data, they are trying to figure out what the home they are buying or selling may be worth. The best way to come up with this is to have an agent do a comparable market analysis based on current data. I hope this helps.
Hmm after re-reading Jonathan's response, I realize I wasn't specific - basically I'd like to see a year year-by-year avg sq/ft sale price for all San Mateo zipcodes from 1999 to 2011 ... for condos. So, I figure it's quite likely the sq. footage is correct since they probalby haven't been expanded/reduced in size over time, or at least, it's unlikely to be different.

So, not for a SFH, but condo, por favor.
Hi - thank for the quick (automated?) responses.

Yes, I agree it's one angle of many when deciding - and while the assesor's stats might not necessarily be that accurate, it's still worth considering as a data point That is, unless you are claiming the assessor's numbers are so drastically inaccurate for 94401 94402 94403 94404.

So, I'm not looking for "true market value" - but I wish to see for myself this particular component that contributes to the "true market value". I do appreciate the advice in order to not shoot myself in the foot -- but really, I'm just curious because I simply want to understand before I decide.

That said, are such inquiries something closes gaurded? You'd think that something like this would be freely available and accessible on the internet somewhere ... maybe so? Anyone care to post a link?
Hello Jack

Happy hunting!
What are you trying to figure out. Because average square foot market price is not an accurate determinant of value being that there are several variables that determine sales price that would make a square foot average a poor measurement of value