Colleen, Other/Just Looking in Charleston, SC

what is the thought on investment properties on Johns Island, SC?

Asked by Colleen, Charleston, SC Mon Mar 10, 2008

Answers

10
Colleen,

Johns Island isn't just a pretty place, real money can be made. My advice it to purchase vacant land, the prices are low and will rebound quickly. When the completion of 526 starts, commercial buyers will seek land for businesses, thus driving-up the price of land.

Land is something we can't build more of. I'm an Islander...please call or email if I can help.

Kelly Timmons
(843) 817-2652
kelly@compass-real-estate.com
We can find acreage 8+ on Johns island for still less than $300,000 and it is protected and you can not find any acreage in Bluffton and if you do find 8+ acres you will be paying $800,000. Johns Isalnd is a better investment than Bluffton by far!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 3, 2008
I believe that while there are always bargains everywhere and if you check the hotsheet daily, Johns Island matured pricewise very quickly. Now there are less mature areas hold that have yet to maket hat jump, but will.
Wendy Hermance, Buyer Agent since 1994. Keller Williams Realty. Waterfront, Historic & Investment Properties Since 1993.
We bought acreage on Johns Island and it tripled in price in less than three years so I disagree with Marian. We have property in Bluffton, SC, North Georgia, and Chattanooga, TN and Johns Island has been far the best return on our investment.
Colleen-

Many thoughts come to mind when you pose this question. It really comes down to your motivation for purchasing this investment property. Rental property, vacation rentals, long term rentals, second home??? Johns Island has a vast array of opportunities available to fit your needs. I personally believe, for a long term hold, Johns Island is a great investment opportunity.

Johns Island is very close to Downtown Charleston and for the most part is vastly undeveloped. Because of this, Johns Island has created great opportunities for investors and developers alike to put their twist on the future growth south of the city. As the gap between Kiawah Island and Charleston are developed with great communities and planned shopping centers, you will likely see your future investment grow.

Please contact me with any technical questions and fell free to view many of the opportunities available on Johns Island at the link below.

Best Regard-

Clint
Colleen,

Johns Island real estate is a great investment for long term, but with the slower real estate market, buyers seem to be choosing James Island and West Ashley over Johns Island. When 526 is extended into Johns Island and more shopping is built, Johns Island will be a great area. Until then, most of the home buyers that buy in Johns Island are buying because they like the country setting.

Lee
Collen,

I agree with Dan. Johns Island is a great place to invest. Its unique beauty and outstanding location are ideal. The transportation/highway issues are a hot item, but regardless of the debate, access and infrastructure will inevitably improve. Growth and sales have slowed since the market change causing prices to decrease, but this is typically when the most informed investors make their move. There are quite a few opportunities available for the investor, it is essential however that you do your homework and invest wisely - deciding on a home vs a townhome vs vacant land. Any investment should also be approached in a long-term strategy versus a quick "flip."

Good luck to you and let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

Jim Grady
The Charleston Real Team
Keller-Williams Realty
(843) 460-4939
Colleen,
I apologize for Dan's unprofessional comments comparing a company that operates out of IL vs. his firm which operates from Charleston. This forum is available for you to receive honest and professional advice about the real estate industry. I am sure Dan has a lot to offer and that he knows the area very well. Oddly enough he and I actually concur that Johns Island is a great place and always will be a great place to live. However we believe that from an investment point of view, there are much better places RIGHT NOW when compared to Johns Island. Best of luck and let me know if I can help you further.
Dan, I wish you the best and most southern men know better!!
Marian Schaffer
The Schaffer Realty Group
http://www.marianschafferrealty.com
877-886-8388
Colleen,

I thought you may like to hear from someone that actually lives on Johns Island, instead of someone in Illinios.

I see that your profile indicates that you live in Charleston. So, you must already know about the general nature of Johns Island. While there is much of the island that is still farmed, it is the 2nd largest on the east coast. There is a large number of new and planned neighborhoods on the island. The Urban Development Boundary established by the county, city, and residents of Johns Island defines where new water and sewer service will be avaialable. This area is generally in the NE corner of the island, closer to the city and between the two bridges.

I believe that Johns Island is and will be one of the most desired places to live in the next decade or so. Growth has been so out of control in Mt. Pleasant that their town now extends into what I call Lower Georgetown. Johns Island is very close to town and the commute is not bad at all. The long term prospects for Johns Island are great.

For my opinion on the roads here: the first an most obvious thing that needs to done immediatly (should have been done when the Stono River bridge was replaced) is to widen to 4 lanes the 2 lane road from the bridge to the 1st intersection. I do believe the I526 bridge should be completed since there clearly will be future growth, and thus more traffic on the island.

Dan Mengedoht
Colleen,
There are very few subdivisions and because of the vast span of farming, most of the land has never been, and will not never be developed. Both bridges that access the island have been replaced, making the commute into town much easier and the island of great interest to developers. However, with so much of the land still being actively worked by farmers, I don't thing this is a good short or mid term investment.
It is a great place for a home with some space.
If you are looking for a very good mid-term investment in SC, give us a call. We have a great opportunity in the Bluffton area.
Best of Luck. Hope to hear from you.
Marian Schaffer
The Schaffer Realty Group
877-886-8388
marian@marianschaffer.com
http://www.marianschafferrealty.com