Wan-hai Tseng, Home Buyer in Montclair, NJ

what is the annual property tax amount for Montclair, NJ?

Asked by Wan-hai Tseng, Montclair, NJ Sat Mar 16, 2013

This question was asked from http://www.trulia.com/property/3111870505-122-S-Fullerton-Av…

Answers

10
Carl Ben Witzig’s answer
Bergen county and Hudson county and Passaic county have taxes for a $400,000 home in some cities between $8000 and $9000. In Essex county, Fairfield, Roseland, Caldwells- West, North, have slightly lower taxes compared to other towns. Most towns are soon to re-assess or have completed one recently, (re-evaluation) in the recession. But remember, the taxes are a measure of the services including schools. It can be short-sighted to select a home based on taxes alone. For example, do you prefer Montclair and taxes of $12,000 but 5-6 train stops, magnet schools, bus at most corners, Whole Foods, The Gap, parks, movies, swimming pools, Iris Garden, Rose Garden, and 1% of the population a licensed realtor or, Fairfield and its annual flood concern and Willowbrook? Much depends on ones perspective. And who has the most frozen yogurt shops? You can't have too many of those, right?
There are 2 things that make up any tax bill in Montclair or any other community. Number one is the assessment. That is the value attached to any property giving a value to the land and to the "improvement" or structure. Secondly, When you take the current tax rate and multiply that times the assessment that will give you the taxes on any property. The rate in most towns changes each year based on the budget of the town. Currently the rate in Montclair is $3,253 per thousand dollars of value. Our rate is due to change , as it does, every year, this fall.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Oct 10, 2013
Ok...
So here is my question...
I am purchasing a home in either Bronxville NY or Montclair NJ, why?? I want to be close to NY but not in it. I am a $1M cash buyer. In Montclair my taxes will be $22,000 for this, same in Bronxville only there you get a prettier area and nicer/larger home but Montclair does have a larger town feel...
I am used to CA where we pay 1.25% of the sales price and it stays there, my $2M house I sold I was paying less then $6000.00 a year. hard pill to swallow.

K, so which town and why?? Id love to get some opinions!! Feel reed to email me direct if you have some good insight.

Jordan M. Miller
In partnership with RealtyONEGroup
310-902-6337 DRE#01444541 E-Mail: msijordanmiller@gmail.com

http://www.jordanmiller.info/
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 10, 2015
You are looking at two of the most expensive taxing counties in Metro-NYC. Westchester County, NY (Bronxville) is a very high tax county, as is Essex County, NJ. Both have major urban cities that negatively impact the tax rates for the surrounding towns -- in Westchester, it is Yonkers, Mount Vernon, and others while in Essex it is Newark, East Orange, Orange and Irvington. I know that 20% of the taxes in my home town of West Orange (Essex County, NJ) goes to the county to subsidize the municipalities that need extra county help. Since schools drive most of the tax rates in towns and since both Westchester and Essex counties have small districts, the tax rates are very high and will remain so until government realizes they need to consolidate services. Both towns you mentioned are great and have fabulous historic homes and nice "downtown" areas -- but it is hard to advise which is better. You need to spend some time in each and decide which is better for you.
Flag Fri Dec 18, 2015
Many NJ communities have good schools as well as high taxes. In Essex County you might want to look into West Caldwell or Roseland which has a regional high school and lower taxes but no train service. Do you need a commute to Manhattan?
Wow. That's high. Which part of NJ would you say is has good public schools with the lowest property tax and the closet to NYC?
I know it is old.... which has good schools with lowest taxes, used to pay for schools? It appears that th emore mkney that is spent by tax payers on schools, the better those schools. Sometimes more money is spent, not by tax payers in the town but infused by vatious means and schools may be good but resultds are not so good. Leaving the possibility that it may not be the money and schools connection that is useful but some other factor, parents, demographic elements, etc. Then the definition of good varys. More students from Montclair go to Ivy league schools than say Glen Ridge, West Orange, Verona. But average standardized performance measures would rank Montclair at the bottom of this group. Is that because ivy league schools value something other than performance scores? Maybe. Is there value in diversity in schools? Maybe. One useful fact, NJ ranks 2nd to Mass in national rankings for quality of schools in 50 states. Maybe that is the only thing that matters.
Flag Mon Feb 10, 2014
Hi Mr Tseng

Yes Bergen county towns close to the meadowlands may have lower taxes and very good schools. Paramus is probably one of the most popular ones. contact me for more information about Bergen county towns or for a free consultation.
Flag Mon Mar 18, 2013
Many homes in Bergen county have lower taxes than Essex count homes on a whole and they are close to NYC. Although you have to be careful of flood zones in some of the towns. I have clients currently looking to purchase in Bergen county towns close to NYC. If you decide to look there check if the home is in a flood zone.
Flag Sun Mar 17, 2013
Hi Mr Tseng

Thank you for your inquiry. Current taxes are $12,546.for this home.

please contact me if you would like to make an appointment to preview it or any other home in the Montclair area

I also have a lovely home on elm St for $385k
The Tax rate is about 3.253 per thousand in the town of Montclair.
The current taxes are $12,546. It's a charming house that will sell quickly, so if you're interested you should see ti as soon as possible.

Gloria Falzer
the information for this property is within the link itself, just scroll further down....
Year Value Land Improvements Total Tax
2012 Assessed $178,700 + $207,000 = $385,700 $13,561 (2011)
hope this helps
Good Luck to you

Sincerely yours,
Edith YourRealtor4Life & Chicago, North Shore & Northern Illinois Expert
Working always in the very BEST interest of her clients, Buyers, Sellers and
Investors alike....And always with a SMILE :)

Covering for @Properties Chicago & suburbs, and with her trusted Partner
Agents US & world wide properties. French, German, some Spanish &more EdithSellsHomes@atproperties.com or EdithSellsHomes@gmail.com
Check out my website at http://tinyurl.com/YourRealtor4Life
Get to know me! Learn about my experience, expertise, services! Read letters
of recommendation! Sign up to search for properties in my expanded service area.
HAVE THE MOST WONDERFUL DAY :)