Market Conditions in Novato>Question Details

Isabel Mckin…, Home Buyer in 91701

what is a houseboat?

Asked by Isabel Mckinney, 91701 Thu Dec 5, 2013

This question was asked from…

Elizabeth Williamson’s answer
Not this home in Novato! This is what it looks like, a mobile home. I think I know why this is not categorized correctly and it has to do with how it is entered on our mulitple listing service and the categories that Trulia has. There is a good chance that Turlia does not list mobile homes on their sight and therefore it may have been put under floating home by default. Or the agent accidentally checked the wrong box. When checking the boxes on our MLS , you do have to check mobile homes first and then a second choice will pop up for floating homes.
Floating homes and mobile homes do have a few things in common. One they are not considered real property they are considered "chattel" because you do not own the land they sit on. Also, you can not get a conventional loan like you would for a home. No 30 year fixes.
I can see why you were confused. Floating homes for the most part sit in water, with the exception of some when the tide is low, the house will set in mud for a bit!
A houseboat is just that, a house that floats on the water. You see these in different spots in Marin County, like in Sausalito.