Market Conditions in 92652>Question Details

curious home…, Other/Just Looking in 92652

what if your formal education that makes you an "expert"?

Asked by curious home buyer, 92652 Mon Dec 21, 2009

Answers

12
If you're asking what constitutes an expert.. That is all a matter of opinion. In my own opinion it takes real world experience backed with a solid foundation of understanding of the subject. If that means having a formal education behind the experience so be it. However, I don't believe you need a formal education but it sure does help. Only time and hands on experience makes someone an expert, even then expert is a bit restrictive. I don't think anyone is an expert. Expert projects the idea that the person will get it right every single time. It is a bit unrealistic.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Dec 21, 2009
Formal education seldom makes anyone an expert. Formal education, at best, forms a foundation on which people build. And, often, not even that.

There are some excellent real estate agents who started off as accountants, writers, housewives, or in the military. Some excellent agents only have a high school diploma. Others have associates degrees, bachelors, masters, or in some cases PhDs. But virtually no one who just gets out of high school or college (the "formal education" part) is an expert at anything. Except, maybe, how to be a student. And that comes from experience.

I do know agents who've built on their accounting backgrounds. I know others who have built on the marketing backgrounds. And so on. But it also requires a lot of continuing education and experience. Real-world experience. Not formal education.

Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Fairfax, VA
Terms such as "expert”, “specialist", and other titles denoting particular knowledge have become meaningless due to misuse. Effective marketing will influence a consumer, but the best protection is to interview 2-3 professionals before utilizing anyone. Although no system is perfect, good results are likely when a consumer uses resumes, testimonials, and compatibility to select a professional.
Credentialization involves experience, formal education as well as common sense--keeping up to date about current trends. Degrees don't always make a bit of a difference--honorary degrees are conferred without any formal education.

Anna
Do you mean what "is" not what "if"?
Web Reference: http://www.cooperjacobs.com

I think it depends. I assume you are referring to Real Estate? If there is a fomal designation of "expert" or "certified"....which is more likely...then the person has taken the required education to use that designation. If not....then someone considers themselves and "expert" and bases it on their experience.

It's a funny term....just like saying that Oreos are the "best" cookie in the world. Who is to say. I better way to evaluate a Realtor to work with is referrals..ask questions and decide for yourself. If you are unsure about what questions to ask....this is a great place to read other people's experiences and questions.

Hope that helps....

Karen

ps......I have degrees in Political Science and Business Admin. So my formal training makes me an "expert" in that?
In my opinion, the actual knowledge gained from a formal education is only one half of the equation. frankly, I have forgotten much of the detailed knowledge I had when I was in college. What remains with me,and in fact, has become deeper and broader, is the invaluable skill known as "critical thinking." It is the ability to read or listen to a wide range of disorganized information pertaining to an issue, and through a process of filtering and elimination, synthesize that data into an organized, condensed "nugget" that brings focus and clarity to an issue in such a way that one can more easily "connect the dots." Without critical thinking, one can easily be manipulated by others, or take mental shortcuts, which can lead to stereotyping of groups of people. Without critical thinking, one is destined to always think "inside the box," or always assume that the way things have always been is the way they ought to be. Critical thinking is part of good leadership and without that, you cannot be a strong advocate for your client, no matter what profession you are in.
Web Reference: http://www.judyfield.com
Hello Curious and thanks for your post.

Did you mean to ask "What IN your formal education makes you an 'expert'"? If so, then there was much in my formal education that provided a base for my current experience in real estate. My original degree, a BS in accounting and my studies toward a masters degree in business helped provide me with the "foundation" (as Mack noted below) to understand, on a much broader scale, the interworkings of business, finance, economics and real estate.

However, it was actually my experience, and not just my formal education, that provided the "intricacies" and "mechanics", if you will, that made me an acknowledged expert in certain areas of real estate. My time working as a homeowners association management and consultant, a forward planning consultant, a consultant to home builders, a legal assistant to prominent real estate attorneys, a CPA, a co-author of a book on HOAs, a newspaper writer and expert in real estate--these are the experiences that became the 'tools" that differented me then and now in my field.

So, to be frank, it was not just formal education that made me, in my opinion, an expert, but a combination of education and experience. Thus, formal education provides you with a solid base upon which experience builds the house.

Grace Morioka, SRES, e-Pro
Area Pro Realty
Co-Author: Homeowners Associations: A Guide to Leadership and Participation
Co-Host: Naked Real Estate on http://www.blogtalkradio.com

Web Reference: http://gracemorioka.areaprorealty.com
If my formal education, that makes me an "expert," provided me with the foundation to build a useful skill set, then it was worthwhile.
Knowledge has power, which in some areas of life does not require education, experience can be critical to be an expert.

Unclear of what subject matter you are discussing. If you are asking regards to real estate experience is factor over education.

National Featured Realtor and Consultant, Texas Mortgage Loan Officer, Credit Repair Lecturer
Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/Lynn911
Lynn911

http://www.lynn911.com
Are you looking for a real estate expert in Laguna Beach? I don't clearly understand what you are asking.
Please re-phrase. Or you can email me directly at: cfleming@coldwellbanker.com. Thank you. Cynthia
Curious,

Welcome to Trulia......

Could you please clarify your question.......