Christine B, Other/Just Looking in Texas

property tax % and average rental in San Antonio

Asked by Christine B, Texas Thu Mar 13, 2008

I'm looking to purchase rental property in SA, specifically around 78209 and 78212 so I'm looking for information on average rents in these area's as well as information on property taxes.

Thanks!

Answers

3
Hector Gomez’s answer
The tax rate is between 2.5% and 3.0%. How much you can get for rent depends on the size of the house, as well as the area. Contact me and I can customize a search for properties in the area you want to invest in and I can also customize another search to show you how much rent you can expect to collect. Plus, I can show you how much you will profit each month.
Jim, great information. Christine, I think that you're better off asking for what the rents are for a particular home in a particular subdivision once you locate a what may seem to be a good investment. This will give you a much clearer picture.
It looks like tax rates range from around 2.5% - 2.9% of appraised value, depending on which city and which school district the home is located in. In those zips there are the cities of San Antonio, Alamo Heights, Terrell Hills, and Olmos Park. There's San Antonio ISD, Alamo Heights ISD and Northeast ISD in those areas as well. Appraised value tends to run below selling prices based on what I've seen. Based on a couple of studies I did a number of years ago, I'd guess about 15% below on average.

Median rents will vary between areas. Based on current asking prices and all types of properties (homes, condos. etc):

Alamo Heights ISD is approximately $.89/sf (40 rentals)

Northeast ISD is approximately $.80/sf (11 rentals)

San Antonio ISD is approximately $81/sf (46 rentals)

Of course these will vary depending on type of rental, size, condition, etc.

Jim
Web Reference: http://JimRooks.com