Market Conditions in Allegan>Question Details

Dang, Home Owner in Allegan, MI

just got my tax assesment and it went up 13% in the 49010 zip code. No improvements to a year and a half old home. Best info to battle Tax review??

Asked by Dang, Allegan, MI Tue Mar 15, 2011

Answers

3
You mention that the home is newer built. What typically happens is the county assessor charges for the raw land in the first year of the home ownership. Then the following year the assessor has caught up on their valuations and the land along with the home improvement gets assessed causing your taxes to go up. You may want to compare your previous years assessment to the new one to see if this is possibly the reason. If it's not then you usually have a window in which you can ask for a review.
Dang,
Go to the city offices and tell them you want to see your records and what you are being taxed on. They will give you the report. I myself noticed that a few people in my community seemed to be paying more then they should. We visited the office and found out that we had been taxed on things that were not in our homes. They did do an adjustment but only went back three years. They did come to the house to verify what I was telling them. Then it had to go for review to the board, they agreed and sent me a refund.
Three homes in my community received refunds.
Don't take for granted your tax bill is correct.

Pam Bava, Realtor
Web Reference: http://www.realteellc.com
You'll need to have at least 3 comparable (the more the better) sales of like homes in your area. As well as current listings in your area. They don't want bank foreclosures if possible. Each individual City is different as to their requirements. You could try contacting an area Realtor for asssistance in getting the comps.

Good Luck,

Karen Paytas, GRI, CMS