Karen, Other/Just Looking in 46224

how do we know areas to avoid as far as safety when looking for a place to retire to in fort myers/cape coral thanks?

Asked by Karen, 46224 Fri Aug 27, 2010

Answers

10
There are online resources that can help you learn about the various communities here in Southwest Florida and which one will best fit your needs.

The Lee County Sherrif's Office maintains an online incident by location database. This tool in understanding what types of crimes and incidents are occurring in a given area. http://www.sheriffleefl.org/activity/incidents.aspx

The Florida Department of Law Enforcement maintains an online database to search for sex offenders in a radius of an address: http://offender.fdle.state.fl.us/offender/searchNeighborhood…

The Fort Myers Regional Partnership offers helpful demographic information about the various communities in the Greater Fort Myers area: http://www.leecountybusiness.com/BusinessResources_BusinessE…

Good luck with your search!
It is very hard to get the answer to this question from brokers/agents. They are not allowed to sway you towards good or away from bad areas. Do a search of Forums that are frequented by "locals" who live and work in your designated area. Although subjective, it is a good way to get the "feel" of what each area is like.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Apr 2, 2012
Good Morning Karen: Your best bet is to review the statistical data from Lee County Sheriffs department. A licensee in Florida cannot advise you on what is a "safe" area and what is not a safe area. They can only provide you the tools to make a decision yourself and with that due diligence along with checking out the areas by driving by, you should be able to come to your own conclusions. Good Luck and Happy House Hunting!

Chris Spina
Web Reference: http://www.spinarealty.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Aug 28, 2010
i DON'T HAVE THE FIRST HAND KNOWLEDGE BUT AFTER SEACHING THERE TWO MO.S i SAW THE OLD SECTION IN THE S.W. IS HIGHEST CRIME. oops. Also, I read here at this very helpful site*, the fewer peepl in your 'hood, the more likely break-ins will be.
Hi Karen,
I asked the same questions when we first came to Ft. Myers in 1982. Surprisingly, the different areas of Lee County have remained just about the same over the years. I would love the opportunity to share my real estate experience with you based on all of your shopping criteria. If you would like access to the entire Florida Gulfcoast MLS then please use http://www.swfloridahomebuyer.listingbook.com. I will a mouse click away providing you with years of professional knowledge and lots of common sense. Thanks again for the opportunity to help you with all of your worries.

Sarah Garrett, Realtor
ALLIANCE REALTY GROUP
"Chosen Best in Client Satisfaction 2006-2010" by Gulfshore Life Magazine
Email: sarahgarrett@argfl.com
Hi, Karen,
That's a great question. The best way is work with a realtor that has been living in SW Florida for many years as their knowledge of neighborhoods and the surrounding areas would be extensive. I moved to Cape Coral in 1987 and have raised my family here so I am very familiary with Cape Coral, Fort Myers, Sanibel and The Beaches. I would love to help you in any way. Please email me at dorinas13@aol.com or call (239) 910-6485. I can give you a free account on our MLS service so you can check out all the properties for sale in many different areas. I look forward to hearing from you.
Dorina Soumastre
Realtor/Sandals Realty of SW Florida
Karen you have received all the answers you need below already and there are some great agents that gave you advice. I would choose one of these agents to help you and then concentrate on finding your home. Good Luck.

jessemcgreevy@gmail.com
239-898-5329
http://www.Bonita-Estero-RealEstate.com
Karen, my approach is to concentrate on the areas you WANT to live in, based on specific criteria such as proximity to the beach, boating access, golf/tennis communities, 55+ communities, access to upscale shopping, and so on. Cape Coral, Fort Myers, Estero, and Bonita Springs all feature very different community amenities, types of housing, and lifestyle opportunities. Once you have a clear picture of what you want in a community, certain areas will begin to stand out.

I would be happy to put my knowledge to work for you: please call 239-444-4995.

Bev LaLonde
Licensed Real Estate Broker
Certified Short Sale and Foreclosure Resource
Realta Properties, Bonita Springs
239-444-4995
Chris Spina gave you great information. The good news for you is that much of the Cape Coral and Ft Myers are are wonderful. People of all ages are out and about enjoying what Southwest Florida provides in the way of quality of life. Take some time and list your interests, hobbies, and what is important to you in your retirement phase. Unless you are snow skiers, this area offers terrific options where you can truly enjoy retirement. The best news of all is that home prices in Ft Myers and the Cape are a Buyer's dream come true.

Have a Joyous and Safe Retirement!

Pat
Good Evening Karen - Good question! You can get "stock" answers about contacting the local sheriff's dept. for crime statistics, etc. but when I work with buyers, I get to know you and your needs and look in areas that I personally would feel safe to live in. I try my best to really listen and learn what it is you are looking for and then use my expertise to find you the place that best suits your needs. We have gone through a lot of changes over the past 4 years within the real estate market and the economy, so it would be in your best interest to contact a local Realtor who is willing to work with you and not just want to sell you something. If you would like to see if we can accomplish your goal, please feel free to contact me at your convenience!
Jeanine Standing Bear, Realtor
Sandals Realty of Fort Myers, Inc.
1567 Hayley Lane, Suite 205
Fort Myers, FL 33907
#239-340-5600
email: jstandingbear@yahoo.com