Market Conditions in Fremont>Question Details

nj2ca, Other/Just Looking in

are there significant disadvantages in terms of taxes if I were to relocate from NJ to CA?

Asked by nj2ca, Fri Oct 26, 2007

Answers

8
Hello Nj2Ca:

I lived in Long Island, NY and now in Marin Count, CA. I have to say Marin, or as a matter of fact, the whole Bay Area, has much better overall living condition.

Marin county is just north of Gold Gate Bridge right outside of San Francisco Bay Area; one of the best neighborhood to live. We have all what Michael said + nicer commute to the city (in this case, not New York, but San Francisco). This is probably the best time to buy in Marin as housing price has dropped some.

http://www.sylviasellsmarin.com/MarinCounty

Wonderful weather translates to less electricity and gas bill.

But here are two links for tax comparison

For California . http://www.retirementliving.com/RLstate1.html#CALIFORNIA
For New Jersey http://www.retirementliving.com/RLstate2.html#NEW%20JERSEY

Let us know if you need a relocation package and information about San Francisco North Bay. .

Sylvia
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Nov 16, 2007
Sylvia Barry,…, Real Estate Pro in Novato, CA
Hi, Adding to what Mike said, you do have the Prop 13 which pretty much holds your tax rate steady for years. You do have Mello Roos, a sort of "tax", but not technically a tax (which means "you-can't-write-it-off -on-your-taxes-but-many-people-do".

But, as Mike said- here in San Diego you pay for location-location-location! Other than right now, when most of the county seems to be burning down around our ears, you have shorts and tee shirt weather 11 1/2 months of the year. When I'm really lucky, I can wear a Christmas sweater during the Holdiay season- but that's about as bad as it gets!

If you would like to see how much house you get for your money- connect with me and tell me how many bedrooms, ft., etc you are used to or would like- what school system needs you have- and I'll tell you how much house your money can buy!

Patti Phillips
800-680-9133
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Oct 26, 2007
I took this quote from a blog regarding the plight of the homeowner in New Jersey and New York.

"Homeowners in western New Jersey’s Hunterdon County. Last year, the median yearly property tax bill amounted to a whopping $7,999 here, according to the Tax Foundation, a nonpartisan research group in Washington, D.C, which compiled data based on 2006 figures.

Things aren’t much better in New York. In Nassau County, Long Island, the median homeowner drops $7,706 a year, while up north, Westchester County residents pay $7,626 a year.

In fact, New York and New Jersey residents can expect to pay up to $6,500 more in yearly property taxes than the national average. The reason: The region’s homes are among the priciest in the country, and tax rates there are high as well.

“They spend more on government [in the Northeast],” says Gerald Prante, an economist at the Tax Foundation. “In New York and New Jersey, they’re high on every tax.”

In California you will be most likely paying 1.1% to 1.25% of your Purchase Price in yearly property taxes. Your Property tax bill, according to Proposition 13 (The grand-daddy of all Property Tax Relief bills), then only goes up 3.5% a year based on your PAYMENT AMOUNT ---NOT---Your Assessment!! In New Jersey it seems everytime they need money they go to the homeowner and raise his/her tax bill. Can't do that in California!! We have "special assesments" which must be approved by a 2/3 vote of the electrorate which it effects. Some areas have special "Mello Roos" areas which are special assessment's for Schools. These are disclosed to you via our statewide disclosure laws and also appear in your title search.

However, if you're moving about IN California the Tax Bill can dramatically increase. In my area homes sell for $650-1,000,000. I've been here for many, many years and have a very small tax bill. If one of my neighbors sells his home the new tax bill of the NEW home owner is going to be 1.1% of the sales price or at $650,000 approximately $6,500.00! The Proposition 13 tax relief bill had the nickname the "stay put" initiative! My tax bill is a fraction of the $6,500 but my new neighbor shares the same services I do but pays 3-4 times as much.
If you come out from New Jersey and buy a home in the $750,000 price range your yearly property Taxes are going to be over $7,500 which is what the average tax payer pays in New Jersey. But what are you getting for this tax bill? In my area $750,000 will get you a very nice 4 bedroom home of around 2,500-3000sqft in a great area with a 6,000sqft lot.
I'm not familiar with New Jersey and the prices there. You'll need to weigh the difference. All I can tell you is in our area, Northern California, Sonoma County, Wine Country, we can play golf all year long, have NO SNOW, decent rain and really BAD TRAFFIC!! You can google Sonoma County Tax Assessor for more information. You can even ask for a reduction via Proposition 8!!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Oct 26, 2007
I believe NJ has higher property taxes than CA. So looks to me like there is an advantage to relocating.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 29, 2007
You are absolutely right, Michael. Sorry. Sometime it's hard to type and read in these little boxes.

I really meant to say Marin is right outside of San Fransicso, Marin is in the North Bay, part of S.F. Bay Area; hence the nicer commute to the city.

I will take that Marin IS the center of universe though :-) For real.

No, I have not seen panhandler taking master card; i do see them taking turns and ride mountain bikes - The master card guys are probably from Southern Marin - that's the center of the center of universe.

Don't worry, I also say good things about Sonoma county and don't forget your Napa Valley - I bring a lot of buyers there and my clients own nice homes there. But you are doing a good job on that. .

Sylvia
Sylvia, Last time I looked Marin County was not "right outside of San Francisco Bay Area" but ON THE BAY!! Actually, the Golden Gate Bridge Northern Tower is anchored to Marin County!! Now if you would have said Marvelous Marin was at the "center of the universe" I would have understood!! It's he only county I know where the homeless beg for money and say they take Visa and Mastercard!
(Trulians--you gotta live in the Bay Area for this inside bantering! Forgive me for being so provincial! It's a Sonoma County trait!!)
Hi There....My mom still lives there and I think she mentioned that they now have some kind of "exiting tax", for instance if you move out of state.

do you have an area that your interested in out here in CA yet?
Michael, Thanks for the education. I live and work in NJ and it is known jokingly as the taxation state. It's no joke as I'm sure nj2ca knows. There are areas in NJ where property taxes are low. In my market area of Spring Lake a house that is assessed at $800,000 pays about $4500/yr in homeowner taxes. There are other considerations, though--income tax, realty transfer fees (really taxes) the millionaire's tax (for homes that sell over $1M) and the bill that is trying to be passed that will allow local municipalities a similar taxation on home sales.
Just my .02 cents
Web Reference: http://www.dianeglander.com