Marci Hanson, Home Seller in Bellingham, WA

3033 Meridian St in Bellingham has 3 bedrooms, 2.5 bathrooms and 1,550 sq. ft. How can I get the info on this website corrected?

Asked by Marci Hanson, Bellingham, WA Sun Oct 20, 2013

This question was asked from http://www.trulia.com/homes/Washington/Bellingham/sold/95995…

Answers

4
Hi Marci,
I noticed it says it's a 2 bedroom and 1 bath home with 1116 square feet in the tax records. The info. on this website is pulled from the tax assessor's records. If you were to have the tax assessor change info. to reflect a larger home, you will probably pay extra money on the larger home in your re-assessed taxes. Conversely, if it were smaller than the assessor has on file, you'd probably be in for a reduction in taxes. If you are planning to list your home with a real estate broker, they can input the correct info. into the NWMLS when it's listed. This should update all the web-sites that pull these listings from the NWMLS. Hope that made sense! Any more questions, feel free to contact me! I'm glad to help! I just sold one down the road from you that was also originally built in 1927,
Stephanie McSorley with Coldwell Banker Bain
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 20, 2013
This is a question I am asked often by Buyers and Sellers.

Changing the information on Trulia starts with the County records where the home is located. The Whatcom County Assessors Office has records on the home that are probably outdated for any number of reasons. Most of the time it comes down to two reasons; an addition or remodel was done without a permit and/or the information given by the previous Owners was incorrect. This is usually done to save money on taxes.
Once you have the records changed to reflect the present day improvements, then Trulia will most likely update the information automatically. All of the information available to the public usaually is based on the County records.
If it were me, I would not care until I approach the time of sale. It does not effect your real value at all. It does cause confusion at the time of sale. Some buyers rely on the Trulia site for information. When you are thinking of selling is the time to correct the information and even then it is really not a problem if your agent is on the ball. The listing input information will change and correct the errors. I have seen this many times. I have also noticed that if an Agent incorrectly increases the square footage, or inputs errors it will effect the county records almost instantly. Hope this helps and feel free to contact me for more info!

Rick Moore RE/MAX broker
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 20, 2013
Marci,
If your home is not on the market, Trulia gets it's information from public records like the Whatcom County Website. There is very little reason to worry if Trulia has the right information if you are not selling. The valuation provided here, on Zillow or other sites is not reliable for making any decisions.
If you do choose to update the county records, you may find your tax assessment gets changed along with your taxes.
If you do list your home for sale, your broker can provide the most up to date information to Trulia and other sites to maximize your opportunity. Until then, I wouldn't worry about it.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 20, 2013
This property is sold, are you the new owners? Read the information below that Stephanie gave you, no need to repeat.

Sincerely yours,
Edith YourRealtor4Life & Chicago and Northern Illinois Expert

Working always in the very BEST interest of her clients, Buyers, Sellers and Investors alike....
And always with a SMILE 
Covering for @Properties the city of Chicago, all N and NW suburbs, the fine homes on the
North Shore, and many of the W and SW suburbs, and with her trusted Partner Agents all of
the US and worldwide properties. Edith speaks French, German, some Spanish and other.....
@Properties Brokerage, 30 Green Bay Road, Winnetka, Illinois 60093
EdithSellsHomes@gmail.com
Check out my website at htttp://tinyurl.com/YourRealtor4Life
HAVE THE MOST WONDERFUL DAY :)