Market Conditions in 92008>Question Details

alj505, Home Buyer in Western Springs, IL

Would like to buy a manufactured home in Carlsbad, ca, especially in an over 55 community. What are the going prices?

Asked by alj505, Western Springs, IL Thu Jan 12, 2012

I have friends who live out there but they bought long ago. Have the proves pretty much stabilized?

Answers

7
Aij, We are a manufactured home dealer, mfg contractor, general contractor, developer & Real Estate Broker with offices in Encinitas and Vista. We've been in the manufactured home business in this area since 1980 and are very familiar with all the manufactured home parks, condo conversions and Planned Unit Developments (PUDS) in the North County as well as all of San Diego.

We understand all the nuance of this industry and the difference between a rent/lease, Condo conversion, Co op and PUD. There's a lot of information you need to know before you purchase a MH. While Lakeshore Gardens is a beautiful MP with a very close proximity to the ocean many if not most of those home are getting very old.

They may look good on the outside but when you have an inspection, and you most definitely should, you will find that there are a lot of "Pre HUD" homes (built before June 15, 1976). This is not good for many reasons. If you call me I will be happy to share those details with you. My cell is 760 815-6977

Additionally, a Pre HUD home is quite often extremely difficult to finance if you choose to do so. If you can obtain financing you will find that you will be paying a premium for interest, will have to come in with a pretty hefty down and will only get a 15 to 20 year term as a rule. That coupled with the monthly rent can really start to add up. You may just be better off buying in a resident owned community.

Additionally, there is no rent control in the city of Carlsbad and since the former owner, Charles Bronson, passed away about 20 years ago the rents have almost tripled. Now what some folks have done in the past few years is to purchase a Pre Hud home, pull it out and put a new one in. I can tell you as a dealer and a contractor that that will cost a bundle. However, there are those folks who are happy to pay the price in order to live so close to the beach and for the quality of life.

I could share a whole lot more with you but I think it might be more suitable in an eyeball to eyeball meeting. Now I'm not suggesting in anyway that Lakeshore Gardens is blighted. In fact as others have stated it's truly one of the nicest parks in Carlsbad. But as is the case with most older manufactured home parks it does have some issues. However, these issues can be dealt with and remedied quite successfully if addressed from the onset and will make your manufactured home buying experience a truly pleasurable one.

Ranco Carlsbad is another great manufactured home development. It used to be a rental park but was converted to a Condo conversion several years ago. It has had some rather significant issues as well and I would gladly be happy to discuss those with you as well.

Also if you should ever wish to seek an FHA guaranteed forward or reverse mortgage you will need to have a 433a California Housing and Community Development (HCD) required documentation and an engineered certification attesting to the existence of a State approved foundation system in order to secure the loan. If the home is in fact in a flood plain this can be a tremendous challenge if not a down right deal breaker.

In addition to the two parks mentioned above there is also, Camino Hills, El Camino Estates, Solamar and Lanakai. Solamar and Lanakai are on Coast Highway right across from the beach while the other two are on El Camino Real. All these parks and developments have certain issues and attributes but are all very nice parks and/or developments overall. You just need to be educated as to what to look for and what remedies and options are available to you.

We'd be very happy to discuss these parks or any other parks in San Diego for that matter with no obligation. One thing you will get from us, however, is total honest disclosure, a thorough inspection from bottom to top inside and out and a hands on dedicated service with almost 3 decades of experience be it purchasing a home, removing one and putting a new one in or remodeling your existing home you can depend on us.

We offer a family owned and operated turn-key, one stop solution from beginning to end during the entire process of your MANUFACTURED HOME experience. We look forward to working with you.

http://www.sandiegorealestatetoday.com
http://www.tagrealestatesales.com
http://www.chadofalltrades.com
http://www.intimatelivinginteriors.com
760 815-6977
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jan 12, 2012
One of the nicest 55+ communities is Rancho Carlsbad. The HOA fees are $263/ month and residents get a 40% discount at the adjacent golf course. Homes range from $170,000 for a fixer to $384,500 with many in the high $200s.
There is another community closer to the ocean called Lakeshore Gardens Where homes range from $125,000 to $171,000 but they have space rents of around $1,000/month
Then there are two in Solamar that is right across the street form the beach and are priced at $349,000 and 429,000. you would own the land and have a HOA fee of $206-208/ month
If you would like I could send yo information on all of these for you to review.

I am never too busy for your referrals

Jerry Heard
Your Broker
The San Diego Property Shop
http://www.TheSanDiegoPropertyShop.com
jerry.sdps@cox.net
Direct 619-920-9796
Office 619-269-5545
Fax 619-269-9168
CA DRE # 00648687
Hi I would like information on solamar asap and maybe a rent to own or if we can get a VA loan with no down. Our lease is up soon so we need to move fast thank you vikki stardezine@aol.com
Flag Wed Jul 10, 2013
Alj, you asked:

There are two types of mobile home communities. One where you buy the land and another where you lease the land for $500 to $1100/month.

To buy with the land, prices are between $170K andf $429K
To buy on leased land, prices are between $50K and $160K

Dennis Smith, ABR, SRES, e-PRO, CDPE, Realtor® Lic #00476662
Certified Distressed Property Agent
RE/MAX By-the-Sea, Carlsbad CA
I WOULD LIKE TO GET THE LISTINGS FOR PROPERTY YOU OWN IN CARLSBAD OR SAN MARCOS, AND OCEANSIDE IF POSSIBLE.mobile homes
Flag Wed Mar 26, 2014
The average sales price is $156,000. Depending on size and the neighborhood, they range from $25,000 to $450,000. The biggest differential is whether you purchase the land or rent.

We hope this helps,

Mark & Kari Shea
Shea Real Estate
We are real estate agents that live and work in Lakeshore Gardens - only 2 blocks to the ocean and right accross the street from the Poiensetta Village shopping center. Home in 2011 sold from $25,000 (3 of them) and a high of $185,000. The most common prices are in the $60,000's to high $70,000's. We would be glad to help you find the right home in the 55+ communities. Steve
Prices start at $100K and go up to just over $400K. Prices vary widely depending on whether or not the land is part of the sale. You may find a great price on a manufactured home only to learn there is a hefty monthly rent that goes with it. Oceanside will be cheaper so you may want to consider that area as well. You can search for homes in any city in San Diego on my website or give me a call at 760-845-6495, I would be happy to assist you.
anywhere from $70,000 to $600,000, depending on a slew of factors.