Runner, Home Buyer in Anchorage, AK

Would a condo rent in Anchorage for 9 mos of year? Are there reliable rental agents to manage it?

Asked by Runner, Anchorage, AK Wed Jun 9, 2010

I lived in Fairbanks for many years and still want to come to Alaska for summers but summer rentals a re hard to find and the brutal winters make renting out a place pretty iffy. I tried, but pipes froze and it cost $$ so I' sold it. I'm thinking about buying a condo in anchorage where winters are a bit milder. Is it feasible to rent it 6-9 mos/year? I'd love a view or being close to trails while not being far from city.

Answers

5
Kristian Pettyjohn’s answer
Hello Runner,

I like your creative thinking! Yes, I think this is very viable. Anchorage has one of the strongest rental markets in Alaska, in fact I was just talking with a long term Alaskan investor the other day who owns many units here in town in a similar situation as you. He actually lives in California for most of the year and comes into town from time to time. He was telling me that in the last 5 years he has never had a vacancy longer than 5 days and the kicker is that he doesn't even use a property management company!

He simply puts in on craigslist and because so many people are always in and out of Anchorage with the military, the oil industry, and tourism he never has had rental issues. Now of course you could and may want to hire a property management company, this is all find and well.

Paragon does great work, Kris Abegg is the owner over there. Also, I have heard Johnson Property Management does great work as well.

Let me know if I can help you with anything else. Interest rates are so great right now I think you are wise to be thinking investment property. You can check out some investment properties at your leisure on our team's site, AlaskaHomeSearch.com.

Cheers!

Kristian Pettyjohn
907-830-9345
I tried to send a private answer, wouldn't work.... when you are ready to start looking for something to buy, let me know!
Kim Sexton
http://www.kimsexton.com

My favorite property management company is:
Kristen Abegg
Paragon Properties
3111 C Street #555
Anchorage, AK 99503
Office - (907) 349-1200
Fax - (907) 349-1248
Home - (907) 345-6405
Mobile - (907) 242-5287
Direct - (907) 349-1200
kristenabegg@cs.com
Thanks for the replies!

Would you mind sharing the names of the good management companies? I do want to discuss practicality with them prior to buying.

Another question. It seems the University area or downtown area might be a good place to do 9 mo rentals, but the condos seems a bit old in those locations.. Any good buildings/assns there that you can think of of top of head. Since I won't be there, I'll need assn that includes heat and outdoor care as part of dues. Prob apt style rather than townhouse.

Thanks.
Yes, there are several management companies that are very good.
Many apartment complexes OR extended stay hotels are full service could be another option for you if you don't trust the management of the property

Lynn911.com
Web Reference: http://www.lynn911.com