Voices Member,  in

Why did 24 Sarasota County clerk employees lose their jobs?

Asked by Voices Member, Fri Jun 19, 2009

24 Sarasota County clerk employees lose their jobs

Updated: June 19, 2009 09:48 AM

SARASOTA - Clerk of the Circuit Court and County Comptroller Karen E. Rushing has announced a reduction in the size of the workforce at the Sarasota County Clerk's office.

"In spite of skyrocketing case load in foreclosures, recently-passed and ill-conceived legislation forces me to terminate a number of highly skilled workers needed to process record high case load. This is the saddest day of my career," said Rushing.

The reduction plan calls for the elimination of 39 positions. Twenty-four Clerk employees lost their jobs today, while another 15 positions were eliminated through attrition. Remaining employees are facing 12 furlough days over the next 12 months. According to Rushing, it is too early to determine how services will be affected, but there is little doubt that there will be longer lines and a longer wait time when calling the Clerk's office for assistance.

Answers

3
Buying a home now guarantees you will make a poor investment.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jun 19, 2009
I don't know of any person, business, or government agency that has not been affected by the recession and resulting budget cuts, and, hence, personnel cuts. Me included.

In response to "buying a home now guarantees you will make a poor investment", I don't quite understand the connection. There are alot of moving parts in purchasing a home and when there is a cooperative effort made by all involved, it's a win for everyone. Your point is?

Theresa Brown
Michael Saunders & Company
theresabrown@michaelsaunders.com
Dear Voices Member,
This government department like so many at all levels has been pared down due to less state and county revenues and government's goal of attempting to balance their budgets. Unlike many departments which IMHO could be pared down, I have no ongoing experience in working with this department. Randy Schweitzer, Coldwell Banker