Hyco Lake Mom, Home Buyer in Steiner Ranch, Austin,...

Why are there so many homes for sale in Steiner Ranch?

Asked by Hyco Lake Mom, Steiner Ranch, Austin, TX Tue May 22, 2012

We are moving to Austin this summer and are choosing our neighborhood primarily based on "exemplary" rated Elementary and Middle Schools. When I search neighborhoods in the Leander ISD based on particular schools fitting this category, most of the homes for sale come up in Steiner Ranch. I am concerned that Steiner is too remote from the conveniences of Austin (nice restaurants, good shopping, fun nightlife, etc.) and I hear it has horrible traffic just getting out of the neighborhood. What gives with Steiner?

Answers

12
Butch Patton’s answer
You are right- to remote for shopping, malls,
Also only two ways in and out of neighborhood and lots of traffic and they are going to build 700plus apartments that will make traffic worse
Great place to live if you are retired or work from home and dont mind driving 30 minutes to shop or to go to movies, etc-
Hyco Mom,
I am a Steiner resident who moved here 10 years ago. Since then we have had 3 children. We are quickly outgrowing our house more in the front of the subdivision which is over 4500 homes now. We are preparing to trade up. We will stay in Steiner and just find a larger house for our kids as they become teenagers. There are 3 elementary schools here in Steiner alone if that gives you any idea of the sense of family and community. We are very happy with the school our kids attend. Neighbors are friendly, there are tons of parks in many of the subdivisions. There are 3 pools and a lake club you would have access to. I have a Target and Walmart nearby as well as a couple grocery stores. To get to other stores for higher end shopping there is Hill country galleria and Lakeline mall both within 25 minutes or a little longer with evening traffic. I stay at home so I can't attest to daily commute traffic it is busy during the early morning and evening and that should be considered but it will be very busy at any part of town during commuter rush hours. There are nice restaurants nearby, the Oasis, Uncle Billy's, Steiner Steakhouse, Iguana Grill as well as more and downtown is about 30 minutes away. Lots of great things to do in Austin.
One other neighborhood still nearby with the hill country feel like Steiner is Riverplace. It is on 2222 but still has lots of traffic. Just another suggestion as you research options. Good luck! Hope you find the perfect house and neighborhood.
Steiner Ranch is very very large. If you are not from this area you wouldn't realize there are literally thousands of homes here. I am also a Steiner resident and we have our house on the market because we are buying a larger home also in Steiner. It's a great place to live!!
I am not familiar with particular subdivision, but coming from Chicago, and knowing Austin, horrible traffic is probably quite different in Austin from what we see here inChicago.

Why so many homes come up for sale in one area, sometimes there are real reasons for it, something the current owners are familiar with, things like a highway will soon come through near by, just making this up, but often as funny as it sounds, selling homes are like mushrooms especially
in a subdivision....

One neighbor puts a house on the market - and sells it well so another one wants to move on as well.
The other thing that often happens and more so in subdivisions when they were first build a similar
family age group moved in, and then the children have grown up, the homes are getting to small, or they have had more babies, or now the high school distance from the home become important, or
they changes jobs and now the commute is too long...

It's life that happens to all of us.

You can always knock on the door of some of the selling owners and ask them why they are moving
no harm done and you can get some peace of mind to be able to decide to move there.

EdithSellsHomes@gmail.com YourRealtor4Life Working always in the very BEST interest of her clients Buyers Sellers and Investors alike, covering for @ Properties Brokerage the city of Chicago, all N and NW suburbs and the fine homes on the North Shore, and all of the US and worldwide offerings with my partner agents.... Edith speaks several languages ....
Have a great day :)
Steiner is a great neighborhood with a variety of sizes, ages and prices of homes. It is a large planned community and serves the needs of its many residents. It is, however, on the outskirts of Austin. While it has well ranked schools, there are other areas that do as well. It all depends on what you want, where you will be working and what you need. Steiner might be perfect and there are other neighborhoods that might work as well. The number of homes on the market is strictly related to the size of the subdivision. The Austin real estate market is very strong and really terrific homes are moving quickly.

Figuring out where you want to live is a very important decision and there is a lot involved in making that decision. If you or your husband are working nearby it might be the ideal fit, if you are working elsewhere, you might want to investigate all your options.

There are a lot of wonderful neighborhoods in the Austin area with schools highly ranked. I would put together everything you want in your ideal neighborhood/home before limiting your neighborhoods.

Happy to help...
Hyco Lake Mom, you already heard there's a large number of homes in Steiner Ranch so there are many on the market at any given time. Percentagewise, it's not higher than normal however. One thing that is important to note, is that the houses in Steiner are quite dense and close together. It's also a very family driven community. Traffic within Steiner Ranch is not too bad and it is only about 25 minutes from downtown Austin. As I live out near the lake myself, it is a bit remote, but this is a great area with the lake and its surrounding amenities. There are also a lot of shopping and restaurants within and just outside of Steiner Ranch, including the Galleria.

Since I work quite a bit with relocations, if you're not yet working with a realtor, I would be happy to speak with you and discuss assisting you in your move. I have a great team of lenders, inspectors, title companies, and the like to help you, and have quite a bit of experience all over the greater Austin area. I also have someone on my team who worked for the school system for over 20 years and has her finger on the pulse regarding any school related issues.
Feel free to click on my photo and review my credentials and client testimonials, and contact me if I may be of any further assistance.
Good luck on your move, and I can tell you that wherever you end up around Austin, you will most likely be happy. It is a great place to live! Joe Jarusinsky, Keller Williams Realty, 512-261-4415
Hello Hyco Lake Mom,
There are exemplary schools in Leander ISD, Austin-ISD, and Eanes-ISD.
There are more centralized neighborhoods available within great school systems that offer a family friendly lifestyle.
Unless you are paying cash. It will take 30-45 days to close once we've located the ideal home. Therefore, now is a perfect time to begin your search. I commend your proactiveness.

Send me an email and I'll be glad to send you relevant information so that you and your family are well informed.

-Free Market Watch Report
-School System Report

-Felix
Real Estate consultant / Realtor
Team ranked top 20 nationally: The Wallstreet Journal
alonzo.felix@gmail.com
512-585-8381
Hyco Lake Mom,
You have several answers that are all direct and to the point considering just numbers of homes for sale. As a ratio to the number in the neighborhood it's not many at all.

I am a local agent and do work in Steiner. Other than myself, of course, I'd recommend from those that chimed in here that you contact Doug Vogelsass. I've had the opportunity to work with Doug and he is top notch in my book.

Best Wishes,
Dear Hyco Lake Mom, I would love to help you. So many homes come up in Steiner as it is home to over 4500 Residences. Steiner is about lifestyle. I have recently sold three homes in Steiner and know the market very well. Please contact me directly at ashley@relocationaustin.com. Not only am I a licensed full time agent, I have lived in Boston, Chicago, Miami and London, and understand all aspects of relocation. Best of luck.
There are many homes for sale in Steiner because
1) There are many homes IN Steiner Ranch.
2) Homes are selling faster now than they have in years. http://www.statesman.com/business/real-estate/its-now-a-sell…

Yes, traffic can be pretty hairy out there, but that is not much different than many other places in Austin.

You can click our link below to check out some other favorite neighborhoods.

Peace in your home,

Doug Vogelsass
REALTOR :: Agents for Change Real Estate

cell :: (512) 739-0457
email :: doug@myagentsforchange.com

10% of our net agent fees at the closing of our client's property will be donated to a charitable organization of their choice. We do this with ALL clients. This is our way of expressing our appreciation to both our clients and the worthy causes dedicated to the betterment of our communities.

9600 Escarpment Blvd :: Suite 745-75 :: Austin, TX :: 78749
Sponsoring broker :: David Komie, Attorney-at-Law (License# 584762).
http://www.trec.state.tx.us/pdf/contracts/OP-K.pdf
Texas Law requires all real estate licensees to give the above information about brokerage services.
Hello, Hyco Lake Mom,

Steiner Ranch is a very large master planned neighborhood and therefore it may seem like there are lots of homes for sale. Yes, traffic is bad in rush hour, but that's everywhere the same. If you want nightlife, that's mostly to be found in downtown Austin, not in suburbia (well, Steiner is in Austin, but almost like a suburb). However, if you want top schools and great neighborhood, Steiner is a great place to buy a home. There are other fine neighborhoods with great schools in the Leander ISD where you may find a beautiful home for a little less than in Steiner.

Contact me if you need information and help with your relocation, I'd be glad to help.

Vivianne Dordea, Realtor
Sierra Homes Realty
512-970-8814
vdordea@austin.rr.com
I would agree that if you want Austin, Steiner is not Austin. But Steiner has great schools and many good communities (it's not just a single large one). But the traffic getting down 2222 to Austin is horrible in the morning. You'll have much better luck in Lakeway, or Bee Cave, within the Lake Travis ISD. You can come down 71 to Southwest Parkway (the intersection of which is being improved as of this writing), and be downtown in 25 minutes, yet still feel like your in the country.

You can also look at Round Rock ISD in the Great Hills and Spicewood Springs area, but it will be more expensive than Lake Travis ISD. Then of course, you could consider Eanes, but the average price is $1M+.

If you need info on communities, schools, etc., call or email me and I can get you a relocation package asap!.

Jeffrey
512-913-7480
Broker, Partner, Keller Williams
512-913-7480