katwalk23, Renter in Washington, DC

Why are there so many fake postings by realtors? They link to a postlet and don't return your calls. What could be the motivation of the agent?

Asked by katwalk23, Washington, DC Tue Oct 9, 2012

These postings seem to be very attractive townhomes that are slightly to very much underpriced. I have tried contacting these agents and never get a response, so it's not like they are asking for $$ to be wired or something.

--
This question is about this property: http://www.trulia.com/rental/3095281426-950-24th-St-NW-Washi…

Answers

5
Hi Katwalk23,

if you see a listing contact the brokerage via telephone and look them up. The office must have a physical address and telephone # if things are looking suspicious.
Hey Kaywalk23,

To get the most accurate information it is best to work directly with a Realtor. What questions do you have?

Here are a few other places near that location for sale (http://mrislistings.mris.com/DE.asp?k=3041248XKJ4T&p=DE-…). We can check them out this weekend. Just call me at (202) 670-6677.

Talk to you soon,
Ericka
I agree with Jim. Also, this sounds like the ads on Craigslist. Craigslist has been unable to control unscrupulous persons who hijack legitimate ads. They are usually fishing for some kind of information from you. It may be just getting your email address or getting you to wire monies to them. I advise you to work with a Realtor. You could search for properties together online and your Realtor could verify the information.
... You can also Google the phone number associated with a listing you may suspect. You will often find that number associated with listings all over the US. Chances are - no private person will have houses all over the US for sale or rent at the same time !
These are NOT posted by Realtors ! There is a huge problem with scammers stealing real listings off of the internet and posing as either the owner or an agent.

A Realtor would NEVER ask you to wire money. If you see a posting; try to google the address - you may then find the LEGITIMATE Realtor and ask if the home is for sale or rent and how much it is.
These realtors didn't ask me to wire money. They just post nice rental listings at too-attractive prices, listings that lead to a postlet/pinger number, and never respond to inquiries. When I google their names, they are in fact realtors and I call their offices but they never respond.

This is different from the obvious motivations of scammers asking for wire transfers.
Flag Thu Oct 11, 2012
These postings are in the real names of actual, local, realtors and I wrote in my question that they did NOT ask for $$ to be wired.

I know realtors love to make it easy to be contacted so why the fake pinger numbers and dead-end postlets on these particular listings ONLY?

What could be the motivation?
Flag Tue Oct 9, 2012