Market Conditions in Moab>Question Details

Texasmommy, Both Buyer and Seller in Dallas, TX

Why are real estate prices in Moab so high? My husband got a job offer there with a salary of $90,000 but we can't afford to buy a home there!

Asked by Texasmommy, Dallas, TX Mon Sep 21, 2009

rentals!

Answers

4
Real estate prices for Moab are extremely high! I have a theory or two as to why. But first, its a fact that folks that grow up in Moab can no longer afford to live there. The job market is such that native "Moabians" usually must move away if they want to own a home.

Back when Moab was a mining town it was very affordable. Unfortunately, the real estate industry discovered that mining tourists is far more lucrative than mining uranium. Tourists in a higher income bracket discovered that Moab is a great place to "Get Away from it All". They come here for an outdoor vacation, find that 1600-1800 sq ft homes that "only" cost $269,000 to $300,000 (with Great Views! Charming Western Settings!) are a bargain compared to the average starter home on .001 acres in LA, Las Vegas, San Diego that goes for $300,000 to $500,000 and more.

In Western New York I had an 1800 sq ft house with finished basement, 3 bed 2 bath, 36 x 25 ft pole barn, separate 800 sq ft studio (with skylights! Used to watch auroras at night over Lake Ontario) on 3.3 acres. Bought it for $110,000, sold it for around $140,000. In WNY it was nothing special, just about average for Wayne County. I saw something similar here in Moab: over 1 MILLION DOLLARS! I thought the sellers misplaced a zero or two!

Summary: Real estate industry marries tourist industry; a heavenly match. Sadly its hell on anyone that grew up in Moab and wants to stay. No way, unless you hit the lottery over in Colorado.

Don't ge me wrong, I love Moab. But the price of a modest home here just blows me away. Check out similar homes in Monticello or Blanding. Huge difference. Because those are just your average good ol' down-to-earth blue collar towns. (BTW, what color is a tourist worker's collar? Spandex?)

I'm a retired disabled vet. I love living in Moab, great town, wonderful folks, especially the folks that grew up here. But if I'm gonna stay I'll have to sell my 4 bed 2 bath 1400 sq ft on .0001 acre lot.

Thats my 2 cents, anyway. Good luck, Texasmommy. I truly hope you've found a nice place here in Moab. It really is a great place to live. Just a bit expen$ive, is all.

helicopter john
Moab is a resort community. Prices have'nt fallen as much as the other places or cities in the states. There are still some options worth looking in to if you guys would like to come to the area. Have a great day Bryon Walston Moab 260-1699
Hey, Moab is a great place to raise a family. At a salary of 90,000 you should be able to find something nice. Moast people make here in the 30,000 to 40,000 range . Let me help if I can. Thanks, Bryon Walston Moab Premier Properties 435-260-1699
Property is expensive because we only have about 4-5% privately owned land in Grand County. The rest is owned by the federal government, state, county, etc.

Moab is a small community and is still a desirable place to be.

I'd be happy to help you locate a home that works for your budget.
Sue