Kungfugeisha, Home Buyer in Cherry Hill, NJ

Why are Plainfield, NJ taxes so outrageous?

Asked by Kungfugeisha, Cherry Hill, NJ Tue Mar 15, 2011

I am interested in this house for sale in Plainfield: http://www.weichert.com/36408656/?cityid=40631&mls=13,44…

MLS#2835978

Can these taxes be right? 12K on a 330K home... proportionately speaking, they are some of the highest in NJ! What in the world??? Are these taxes overvalued or is Plainfield know for unreasonable property taxes?

Answers

5
John Sacktig’s answer
Hi KungFu -

The school system also take as a great amount of the local taxes in this area. High taxes are a part iof living in New Jersey! I am sure ath in todays market the tax assessors are feeling the heat from homeowners!

The taxes seem to be in line for the area!
Plainfield has a high tax rate, due to very low business rateables, therefore homeowners absorb alot of costs. You get a lot of house for your money in Plainfield though, and if you check some surrounding towns with similar homes in character the taxes are in line with Plainfields. This is a lovely home and fantastic price. Good luck.

Jeanette
Web Reference: http://www.eaglehomesnj.com
Remember that Property Taxes are a function of the County that collects them:
How efficient is the County run?
Is there a perpetual deficit?
Are the schools run efficiently?
Is there corruption?
How are the assessments determined?
How long have the resident been holding their collective breath?
Taxes in Plainfield are very high considering the schools are not that good and your garbage collection is not included. You will be charge about $1200 extra a year for garbage collection and it's not tax deductible. However if you don't pay it they can put a tax lien on your house. Moving to Plainfiled was not a good decision for me wish I would have research more before buying my house. Don't let the size of your property fool you. In all honesty you should look into the neiboring towns.
I don't know, but your getting more house then other town. Especially in the Sleepy Hollow area. Good luck!!