Wonder Bread, Home Buyer in Granite Bay, CA

Why are Granite Bay home prices not crashing as fast as Roseville or Rocklin?

Asked by Wonder Bread, Granite Bay, CA Thu Apr 24, 2008

Why is there a difference in the price decline between Granite Bay and neighbouring areas?

Answers

4
The reason Granite Bay values sustain when others don't is simply that Granite Bay is so highly desirable that people will always pay more to live here. It's the Golden Child of Placer County with Los Lagos (multi million dollar estates and celebrities) and Folsom Lake nearby. The high desire and relatively low turnover of these homes keeps their values solid.. making it a great place to invest! Just ask the many investors I've helped purchase homes in this area...they have had outstanding returns on their investments.
The answer below is a good one. In general, when real estate demand correlates low to economic changes, values will also have low correlation. In other words the recent down turn in the economy did not affect home owners in GB as greatly.

I strongly believe in the long term investment value of these areas. If I can help with any other questions, please let me know!

Danielle Sweet, ZipRealty, Inc.
RealtorĀ®, Licensed in CA, #01921756
dsweet@ziprealty.com
916.934.2120 | Fax: 877.625.2296
My profile: http://www.ziprealty.com/agent/dsweet
I think the opposite is true. If you see the charts here (http://www.jayemerson.com/granite-bay.html) and compare to the Rocklin and Roseville charts, Granite Bay experienced an almost-immediate drop toward the end of 2008. The median prices haven't been back above $600K ever since. Keep in mind that there is a lot of wealth in GB that is not in Roseville/Rocklin. That wealth means real estate supply is low. The residents in GB also have more cash reserves (all things remaining equal) which delays the foreclosure if they are in distress. But I've been wrong before.
I'd imagine that it's based on the fact that Roseville and more so Rocklin, was over-built in the last couple of years. There's still builders with inventory and they are competing with more Bank repos / foreclosures (the Rocklin area has more entry-level / 1st time buyers) than in Granite Bay. Also, Granite Bay is a more desirable area with better schools that lures in home buyers that are seeing value.