Kevo, Home Owner in Minneapolis, MN

Where can I find the regulations determining Basement and finished below grade square footage determinations? My appraiser said "Typically

Asked by Kevo, Minneapolis, MN Thu Feb 16, 2012

it's 50%".

Answers

6
I'm not sure what your asking. The best place to start is with your city.

Kris Lindahl, CRS, CDPE, SFR,
763.607.1415
krislindahl@edinarealty.com
Kevo,

I think what you are looking for is something like:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniform_Standards_of_Profession…

Cheers!!

Cameron Piper
Coldwell Banker Burnet
licensed MN Real Estate Broker
Web Reference: http://www.CamPiper.com
I did a training with Edina Realty Mortgage yesterday and this very topic came up.

It's true that an appraiser will value below ground finished square footage @ half the value of upstairs finished square footage.

Even with a walk out basement with windows on three sides, if one wall is bermed by earth then this is considered basement space.

While I don't know if there is a 'regulation' determining this valuation, there is language on the appraisers form that will denote basement from 1st floor finished space and how this space is valued differently.
I'm not aware of any "regulations" that pertain to how "finished square feet" are to be determined. However, there are "standards of practice" that apply. "Standards of practice" are more like a "custom", than a regulation.

In the real estate industry, in order for something to be considered as part of the 'finished square feet", the included spaces need to have the walls covered and finished with some sort of wall covering such as paint, wallpaper, wood paneling, etc. The ceilings are the same...and those usually mean "painted". Also, the floors need to be finished, not concrete...and not painted concrete. Usually, floor coverings like wood or carpet needs to be there.

Additionally, to be counted as a bedroom, a room must have a window and a closet. If it doesn't have one, the other, or both, it's not considered a bedroom, but still could be included into the finished square feet calculations.

I hope that helps.
Hi Kevo,

If your home is in Minneapolis, check with Minneapolis Development, 612 673 3000.
There are permits by category, but not for basements in general. It would depend on the age of your home, type of construction, and if you have full or partial excavaton. Sometimes the heating and plumbing systems were run through the middle of the basement making finishing more complicated than if they were tucked into a corner.
When there are properties ranging from the 1880's through 2012, it is impossible to generalize. "Typically," could only refer to like properties. A general contractor could give you an idea of what you could do.
I'm not exactly sure what you are asking, but the property listings will indicate at the top the sq footage, foundation size and then the finished sq footage below ground or basement. Under room count it will specify what rooms are in the basement, if any.
Web Reference: http://www.tagrealty.net