Kevin Macey, Real Estate Pro in Cincinnati, OH

Where are the best real estate investments today and why?

Asked by Kevin Macey, Cincinnati, OH Mon Feb 13, 2012

Answers

5
Some pretty solid answers below. I especially like Annette's. (I'd definitely give her the "Best Answer" award.)

Annette says: "The best investments would be the absolute cheapest properties, 20K to 45K, you can buy that can be cleaned, painted, appliances and rented. To really jack up the potential profits, set them up as lease/options." The only thing I'd add to that is that you have to take a look at the rental income as well. You might find a significant variation in rental income even when the properties are priced about the same. But give her extra credit for the lease-option suggestion.

Annette says: "If you are looking at wealth building and long term holds, buy properties that are located in communities with value retaining attributes such as golf courses, water access, water front, near downtown centers and attractions." I know a number of investors who absolutely insist on buying waterfront property because of the long-term appreciation. Of course, that'll vary some based on location, but it's good advice.

Annette says: "And, the perennial profit poster child is trailer parks. Not the trailers, the park." She's right on target again. You can make a lot of money on the trailers as well; look online for what's called a "Lonnie Deal." Either one can be highly profitable.

Annette says: "Of course, there are always those options to benefit through real estate investments that do not require you to ever take title to any real estate." Absolutely true. Options and sandwich lease-options are possibilities. So is buying and selling notes.

1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Feb 13, 2012
Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Burke, VA
Kevin,
As in any investment strategy, your goals and situation is very important factors. Another critically imporant factor will be area employment projections. For this, pay to get the stats regarding increase/decrease in staffing company business.

Let's say you are looking for income producing properties. The best investments would be the absolute cheapest properties, 20K to 45K, you can buy that can be cleaned, painted, appliances and rented. To really jack up the potential profits, set them up as lease/options.

If you are looking at wealth building and long term holds, buy properties that are located in communities with value retaining attributes such as golf courses, water access, water front, near downtown centers and attractions. These are the same areas to find properties you plan to flip.

Multi-family situations are always great for low cost living and equity building. However, equity growth may be slow.

And, the perennial profit poster child is trailer parks. Not the trailers, the park.

Of course, there are always those options to benefit through real estate investments that do not require you to ever take title to any real estate.

Best of success in finding your investment honey hole.
Annette Lawrence
Broker Associate
ReMax Realtec Group
Palm Harbor, FL
Web Reference: http://www.MyDunedin.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Feb 13, 2012
I like single family homes to be held as rentals. They can be bought at a discount right now and are easier to manage than apartments. I can help you find them. Call or email me to discuss the details.
Mark Miller
mark@cincyland.com
513-721-LAND(5263)
Web Reference: http://CincyLand.com
The best real estate investments today are in the retail sector near Hispanic communities because the Hispanic population is growing the fasted compared to others. This information does not substitute due diligence and other economic and demographic data.
I don't know about Ohio but in my area Multi-Family Short Sales and foreclosures are, in my opinion, the way to go! Average buyers no longer find it attractive to 'let the rent pay the mortgage'. They prefer single family homes and none of the headaches they keep hearing about. So, the buyer pool is smaller. Add to that the prospect of dealing with a bank and you have a recipe for a 'fire sale'! I am seeing homes at unbelievably low prices that need only minor, cosmetic work. These homes won't just produce 'cash flow' but real income, the minute they are fully rented. And the rental market is RED HOT!