Michael Stra…, Real Estate Pro in Philadelphia, PA

Where are the Growth Neighborhoods in the Philadelphia area that will be best for investment property in 2008?

Asked by Michael Stratton, Philadelphia, PA Mon Jan 7, 2008

I"m a student at the University of Pennsylvania and I want to invest in Philadelphia Real Estate. I was wondering if anyone had advice on where the greatest growth areas in Philadelphia are and in which neighborhoods it would be best to invest in Philadelphia in the near future? I know that some of South and West Philadelphia are turning bad and that North Philadelphia has or is in the process of turning bad for sound investing but where are the neighborhoods or areas that are on the upswing?

Answers

7
Port Richmond. Due to being a safe area and low house prices I see a potential.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 4, 2008
Michael. I own a number of properties in Philadelphia and work with a select group of investors and developers. One of my favourite areas in Philadelphia is 19122 which is called Old Kensington, just a little bit north of Northern Liberties. Northern Liberties has been the highest appreciating zip code in all of Philadelphia the last couple of years so my theory is that this growth (development, construction, condo converstions) will continue to move north in this area. I also am very bullish on the riverfront area from Old City to Bridesburg which includes Fishtown "19125" Port Richmond and Richmond "19134" and Bridesburg "19137". Please refer to my website below for more info. Good luck in your investment. I think it is a very wise choice.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jan 7, 2008
The somers have given you good advice. It depends on what you have in mind.Are you looking to buy and rehab and flip or are you going to rent it out. Some of the areas near the Universities are good. investments You can rent to graduate students and as you are close by you can manage it.
Areas near Jefferson Hospital are great. I know a few medical students who own condos across from it.
You can also look to invest in the suburbs. There are great buys everywhere.
Web Reference: http://www.gitabantwal.com
Having lived here for 28 years with decent knowledge of trends and other factors:

Bargain with potential- Area around Temple and the hospital on Broad St.

Fairly high priced with potential still both ST and LT- Fishtown, NoLibs, Port Richmond. (Casinos?)

Will correct, but generally safe. Definite short term losses- Center City, University City, Manayunk, Roxborough, parts of South Philly

Sizable, but not disgusting losses- parts of South Philly near Sports Complex (i.e. overpriced new townhomes), Far Northeast (Somerton, Pine Valley). Comment: Tax abatements will only last so long

DANGER: Collapse imminent. Not a matter of if, but when- Lower Northeast (Mayfair, Rhawnhurst, Fox Chase, Castor Gardens, etc.) How do you explain doubling, tripling, or in isolated cases a fourfold increase in home values with the neighborhood not improving or getting worse? I have 2- once easy credit (watch this over the next few months) and NYC speculators (can't pay the gas anymore)..
Michael,

I own several investment properties throughout Philadelphia. My company works directly with investors to put together an investment strategy for individuals like yourself that are just in the beginnings of real estate investment. We spend thousands each month on marketing and generate between 10-12 properties each month at less than 40% of market value for our clients. Depending on exactly what kind of exit strategy you would be comfortable with, we could show you how to build a portfolio of over $1M in your first year with as little as $10,000 cash to invest.

There are no fees for our trainings or any of our referral services. We bring the properties and if you like them, we'll put a package together for you including financing, construction (where neccessary), property maintenance and tenant placement. We make our money on the sale of the property.

If you are serious, feel free to give us a call. On of our Investment Consultants woould be glad to sit down with you for a meeting.

To answer your previous question, I find the best return and appreciation on my investments (taking into consideration purchase price, financial strength of tenants, crime rate, etc.) in Germantonw, West Oak Lane and Mt Airy. You can still pick up a nice deal in these markets for a few thousand dollars and get fantastic cash flow from good tenants.

Josh Weidman
Director of Purchaing
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 14, 2008
Hello Michael,
To answer your question properly one must know what are your investment options and financing otions to see what kind of investments you can make. Are you looking to flip? are you looking to hold and rent, and for how long? there are some great areas but that all depends on the above. if you are looking to invest and live yourself then i'd say northern liberties and fishtown, if you are looking to invest and rent out and hold for 5 years or more then those areas i mentioned before plus west northern liberties, parts of point breeze, fransciville and parts of fairmount. I work as a local mortgage banker and if you are interested in discussing this some more then feel free to contact me any time.

Alina Kanevsky
Lending Specialist

Mid Atlantic Capital
405 Kings Highway South
Cherry Hill, NJ, 08034
Phone: 856-429-2207
Toll Free: 800-232-5171 ext. 501
Fax: 856-429-4118

Email: akanevsky@midacap.com
Web Address: http://www.midacap.com
Old Kensington....aka JuNoGi (just north of girard) is indeed a very nice area and I agrre with the Somers- Port Richmond and Fishtown are great!