Market Conditions in Taos>Question Details

Amy S Lemley, Home Buyer in Belfast, ME

Where am I more likely to find bargains between now and this time next year, Taos or Santa Fe? How close are these markets to bottoming out and is?

Asked by Amy S Lemley, Belfast, ME Wed Jun 27, 2012

the inventory proportionally higher in Taos or in Santa Fe?

Answers

2
What I hear is---though I know the Santa Fe market better---is that both markets have bottomed out, basically, until further notice of some next catastrophe, and prices are jumping around a bit on the bottom. Inventory has decreased and many bargains have been snapped up. Yet, some prices continue to fall as they look for the point where the property sells. My sense is that Taos and more rural properties will be better bargains in general, but that it will depend on where you really want to live and will be on a case by case basis.

Some pockets in Santa Fe, say, seem to be holding steady, rising a tiny bit, and are getting multiple offers and other signs of being correctly/well priced.

I have listings in Pilar but would defer to a Taos expert regarding the Taos market.

The (so-called?) recovery is far from complete and is patchwork-y, but the market is becoming more balanced as far as favoring not only buyers and not only sellers.

Best wishes on your quest.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Mar 27, 2013
Thanks for the answer and what sounds like a pretty balanced point of view.
Flag Mon May 20, 2013
Don't know if you're still looking, but I found a great number of condos in Santa Fe, that are coming down. You might check Santa Fe, because Taos is still living in the 90's bubble.
thanks for your comments. I appreciate you taking the time to respond.
Flag Fri Aug 23, 2013