Market Conditions in 06360>Question Details

J, Other/Just Looking in 06360

When re-evaluation comes again in Norwich, will the Tax Assessor readjust and devalue our properties proportionally to their current market values?

Asked by J, 06360 Fri Jan 21, 2011

If Vision Appraisal is involved again, it will surely be time to leave the City of Norwich. Last evaluation, I experienced a 57% increase in ASSESSED value in a downward spiraling market, a nearly $1000 increase in R.E. Taxes, a decrease in services and my street light shut off.

Answers

4
Richard L. Sanderson’s answer
As Anna Brocco suggests, start by contacting the assessor's office. The key deciding factors for determining whether real estate assessments go down, stay the same, or increase are: (1) the effective date for the reassessment (e.g., January 1, 2014); and (2) the time frame that assessment office studies to estimate assessed values for that effect date of revaluation (e.g., one, two or three years PRIOR to July 1, 2013). Assessor always use historical sales that they qualify as indicators of market value and need to cut off the sale study period about 6 months before the completion date in order to value ALL properties in their community. Even using mass-appraisal techniques, it takes a big time effort to completely revalue all properties. As long as all properties are valued using the same effect date of value and study period for sales, the appeal boards consider this to be fair and equitable treatment.
Web Reference: http://assessmentadmin.com
For an accurate answer do contact your tax assessor's office..see link.
http://www.norwichct.org/content/43/77/default.aspx
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jan 21, 2011
What a waste of time!! The tax assessor doesn't even live in Norwich. That says a lot right there about where to live in this area.
Flag Sat Jan 5, 2013
I hear your frustration. One thing to consider is that no matter what municipal appraisal firm is involved, they will be trying to set equitable values for all properties through the town. This happens every 5 years in CT now by statute. The assessed value as you said can be challenged, but you have to do a lot of homework and bring forward evidence of errors in the facts that your appraisal is based on. The appraisal is broken down into components like Land (is your lot value similar to your neighbors), Building (check size, materials noted, features like # baths/# bedrooms), and improvements. The most powerful way to get an adjustment to a municipal appraisal is to hire your own appraiser to provide their opinion of value as that is what they are licensed to do. Question you have to ask yourself before hiring an independent appraisal is what are the chances they will come in with a lower value than what the town's appraiser came in at?

The final point to realize is that your bottom line tax bill is then based on what the total value of all of the properties in town are updated to and then the budget for the town is met by resetting the "mil rate". If most appraisals go up resulting in a larger grand list (higher total value for the property in the town), then the mil rate will go down assuming the town's budget stays the same.

Bottom line, look close at the data and compare to similar homes. If you can't find errors, then perhaps your old assessment was flawed and the errors have now been corrected with the new appraisal. FYI - Street light being out can simply be reported to NDPU for repair.
I can say that my taxes on property in norwich have gone up 50% since 2005 when I bought the property my taxes where 3000 a year now they are 4400 a year. In the same time the value has gone down from 200k to about 70k All in all the assessors and board of apeals were absolutly no help and that is part of the reason why property values have gone down so significantly in the past 7 years in Norwich. Higher taxes in conjunction with lower servies= Lower property values.
Flag Mon Feb 25, 2013
Mr. Hanner,
I appreciate your efforts to shed light on this matter but I think you are mistaken. I performed comparables, had two friends who do appraisals for insurance companies and an R.E. broker look at what Vision Appraisals reassessed my property for and all said they were off base. I tried to present data at an appeal hearing and was laugh at. I'm glad I didn't waste any money getting formal appraisals, as that would have only added more insult to injury. I contacted the current assessor a few months back, who told me even if the assessments go down this year, she guaranteed the mil rate will be going up significantly to compensate for all the other increasing costs and expenditures that are going to be leveled on the city. Anyway you look at it, taxes in Norwich will be going up, property values going down and I will be getting out.
FYI: The City purposely shut off the lights to save money only to find minimal savings and safety issues. Uility rates are now higher.
Flag Sat Feb 23, 2013
We too! It's shameful that our local government did this to us!
BTW, even though they never entered the house to view it, apparently our simple bathroom is the most expensive in our neighborhood. What a joke. I think they are extremely unjust.

We fought the entire assessment with eleven legitimate, well-documented arguments supported by assessments of similar houses in our neighborhood. What was the Board of Appeals response? 'No Change', and no explanation was afforded us. How arrogant! Well, we found out that by statute, they don't have to tell us the reasons they decided not to readjust. Our only option would be to take them to court. The stress and expense of that just isn't worth it, so they got us, didn't they?!

This put a very bad taste in our mouths about living in Norwich, CT.
At least you were allowed to fight your assessment. We had a hearing date but City Hall closed down that day because of snow. When I called to reschedule they told me I couldn't. My original date was the last day we were allowed to appeal, so too bad. My taxes are 4 times what they were when I bought my house 15 years ago, but the value at a recent refinance appraisal is half of what it was when I bought it. We've had a bad taste in our mouth about Norwich since about 3 days after we bought our home. We'd love to move- maybe the person who assessed my house for the city would like to buy it from us for his price so we can move.
Flag Fri Mar 21, 2014
Yes it's very sad. Norwich used to be a nice place to live and work but it's no longer that way. A couple more years, the kids are out of school and we're out of here. We're even questioning the school system. Used to be one of the most highly regarded. Now, too many high cost accommodations mandated to satisfy "no child left behind" that will be and is leaving "ALL children left behind". It's evident in the CMT results.....and the School Board is now asking for a 5%+ increase in their budget or the children are going to suffer again......time for serious change!!!!!
Flag Mon May 7, 2012