Market Conditions in 22207>Question Details

Homerunholt, Home Seller in Litchfield, CA

When is best time to list in 22207?

Asked by Homerunholt, Litchfield, CA Sun Nov 14, 2010

Answers

27
The market has been unusually active for November so I think we are seeing a stronger demand this year which will lead into next. The multiple offers start in January in this area. Of course it always depends on the property, supply, how well it shows (if a regular sale and not rehab although rehabs get multiple offers too) and pricing. All things to consider AT THE TIME OF LISTING. Feel free to reach out for more information. I market in the new Arlington magazine and I'm always looking for a great property to feature! My business is all referral so you can talk to clients I have worked with. Good luck!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Nov 26, 2012
Generally the highest demand each year that coincides with the highest homes values is the spring market with March 15 being the optimum time to list. Listing anytime from 3/1-6/1 will generally get you the same high demand scenario.

Make sure your home is ready to be on the market in terms of renovations, clutter, etc.

Examples of the appropriate virtual tours that reflect well on the home are at my link towards bottom of the page. Demand any agent you hire to give you a quality virtual tour as 9 out of 10 are junk even though the agent is charging 6%....

One irony is that the agents you see in the local newspapers most often are the ones mostly likely to be stuck in 20th century in terms of their approach to real estate. There are exceptions to everything.

Buyers are doing real estate in the 21st century and one should match their approach to the marketplace.

j
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 14, 2010
A lot of families love 22207 for the pyramid of schools. I get buyers every year asking to be in the Yorktown school district. The BEST time of year is when you have the most potential buyers available and ready to buy. That sweet spot in the year tends to be between end of February and end of April. We typically see a large increase in inventory in May, and your house could get lost in the numbers if you wait too long. Spend the money staging it properly and price the home correctly. Let me know if I can be of help, my office is on the border of McLean and Arlington.
Web Reference: http://www.myagentpaul.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 14, 2010
Homerun,

Basically, if your home isn't listed, your home stands no chance of selling regardless of the season or time of year. Everyone knows there are periods of increased and decreased activity.......

The need of buyers to identify and purchase a home remains constant regardless of the time of year. The best time to list your home is when you are personally ready and have invested time to "make it shine" ....having it ready to make a winning impression on buyers.

1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 14, 2010
The best time is the best time for you. Back when anything sold quickly with multiple offers spring was usually better because there would be more buyers competing for your home. Now, there are trade offs on selling times. It also depends on your home. If you have beautiful landscaping and nice outdoor living space then your home may be more attractive during the warm months. If you have cheery indoor space a warm fire going in the fireplace during an open house then cooler months might be for you. In this area there are always more buyers in the spring but there will surely be more competition for your home as well. Inventory is low now with not many new properties in 22207 priced in the mid range so if this is your home, now might be a good time. There are certainly always buyers here as unemployment has now dropped below 4%in Arlington county. If you would like more information from someone who has lived in 22207 and has worked with many buyers and sellers in this zip code, feel free to call. Jane. 571-228-5656. janejensen@comcast.net
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 14, 2010
Check out http://www.c21redwood.com/arlington-va-real-estate to search real estate available for sale in Arlington, and check out some of our very knowledgeable agents!

-Adrienne
Hi.. I've lived in Arlington for 30 years and in 22207 for most of that time! We have tons of buyers looking for homes now- even though it's the end of the year. What is most important, is to determine ' who' your buyer might be . In other words. your price range will determine if it's best to wait a bit ( like closer to the end of a school year) or if your home is more suited to a buyer who has no time constraints - i.e school.

My partner Matt Shepard and I would be happy to meet with you if you'd like to determine if you should go early or wait a few months!
We are never too busy to help!
This generally varies, but definitely be sure to chat with an agent. Also check out some online sources to see how the market changes over the year. http://www.c21redwood.com/arlington-va-real-estate is a great source to see all of the active, pending, and closed listings within the past year. It really allows you to search like an agent.

Adrienne
It is an excellent time to list and sell! The inventory is extremely low for properties in your zip. You also have the benefit of record high recent sales and that will help your property sell for top dollar. I welcome a conversation to discuss your parameters. Also, you can check the inventory for 22207 easily, just by typing in your zip at http://www.buythemetro.com or I am glad to give you specific and detailed information.

Tony Perez, Realtor/Broker
Tony Perez Real Estate
Licensed and serving Arlington since 1987
703.304.7730
email: VirginiaBroker@gmail.com
The question becomes what is your time frame? As of today, in the 22207 zip code, there are 107 homes for sale. In the past month there were 32 homes sold. Thant means that the absorption rate is 3.34 months (107 available for sale/32 homes sold in the last month). That is a fast moving market when consider that 10 of the 32 homes, sold for a price greater than one million dollars. If you were to put your home on the market today it would probably sell in three and a half months.
That is assuming that the home is in great shape and ready for a buyer.

One of the best times is early spring. Don’t wait for the Azaleas to bloom. You will face more competition in April. Think about getting your home ready for first week of March. There will be less competition and buyers do start looking early. There is nothing magical about Azaleas they are just pretty. I live in 22207, so let me know if I can be of further help.
The question becomes what is your time frame? As of today, in the 22207 zip code, there are 107 homes for sale. In the past month there were 32 homes sold. Thant means that the absorption rate is 3.34 months (107 available for sale/32 homes sold in the last month). That is a fast moving market when consider that 10 of the 32 homes, sold for a price greater than one million dollars. If you were to put your home on the market today it would probably sell in three and a half months. That is assuming that the home is in great shape and ready for a buyer.

Best to go directly to a local pro at "Find a Pro" in the header of this website for local advice.
http://www.naplesrealestateguys.com/
Yes Delaine, Arlington has historically always been very stabile. I'd argue we are NOT as transient as folks would love to describe our dear DC area. We just always have a good employer- who likely will never go out of business! When the FED decides to truly ' downsize' it's time for all of us to hang up our cleats.

Our average age of population in Arlington ( 50 % under 40). 11 Metro stops, high services, low crime and a small county that has good infrastructure. I have lived and loved Arlington for 31 years and can attest that it's relocation friendly ( check out VA transfer tax).
The Nation's Capital area offers a great place for employment, culture and education. Yes, our transportation is not as good as it could be- but the other factors help make it bearable.

Thanks Teresa .. for the support on my earlier comments.
Web Reference: http://movesmetrodc.com
Here’s data from Google communities that might help. 22207 is an affluent (median household income: $100,390) upscale urban zip code in Arlington, Virginia. The population is primarily white, and mostly married couples. At $347,500 the average home value here is a bit higher than average for the Washington-Arlington-Alexandria metro area, so this probably isn't the place to look for housing bargains. The median age here is 39.7.

What this says that it’s a rockin’ area and that my experience in listing and selling in Arlington is that it isn’t effected much by the seasons. I listed and sold two condos last winter/early year. I get calls from Buyer’s throughout the year. Arlington is a popular area esp. along the metro routes or in Cherrydale, which is young couples buying the new homes where old homes use to be. Seems like most of us agree that it doesn't matter when you list your house in Arlington. Old Town Alexandria is the same way. High-demand areas move steadily throughout the year, although the traditional Spring market does pick-up. But that's not to say nothing happens the rest of the year.

If it’s a rental consider that rents are increasing here rapidly and this year is expected to be a tight/high-demand rental market for the Washington D.C. metro area. Without seeing the property it’s hard to say much more, but if you own it and/or have a positive cash flow continuing to own real estate as an investment is an option and of course selling it if you can sell if to get cash. Maybe you have other plans for the cash out right now rather than continued ownership. Myself and the other agents that have answered your question can help you with running the values of the property and in determining a good starting list price for it. Contact me or any of the other agents, below, if you need help with listing and selling your property or in continuing to rent it.

Delaine Campbell, REALTOR®
Certified Residential Specialist
Accredted Buyer Representative
Long and Foster Real Estate
(800) 482-0716 Office/Direct
(703) 932-6542 Cell/Direct
delaine@lnf.com
http://www.delainesoldtown.com
Homeseller

I see that you are located in California. One of the first things that I as a Realtor and Appraiser in NOVA would do is hire an appraiser to give you an unbiased opinion of the current market value of your property. You can also ask the appraiser to give you various opinions of value (present, 30 day quick sale, etc.), depending on your needs and market neighborhood trends.

As you know Arlington is grat transient, government employee neighborhood with personnel transferring in and out at all times of the year.

Few thoughts for you to mulll over.

William Henrandez
Reartor/Licensed Appraiser
Keller Williams/Hernandez Real Estate Services
703 608-5239
HESInc@hotmail.com
I Agree with Mrs. Fong, I would never wait for Spring--- what a fallacy in this market! Are you kidding me.
Besides, I believe most of these remarks are from newer agents-so, sorry except one, Mr. Benjamin~
So, Homeseller call/e-mail either three of us or, all of us for an appt. I will make it happen and you will smile all the way to the bank before Spring ;p
TL Howard
1.800.760.7282
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 14, 2010
As an agent who has worked in Arlington for 20 years, I have found that most of North Arlington especially 22207 has been very active despite being the time of year that tradionally and historically less active. I've listed properties in the County in the last few months and all have gone under contract quickly.
There are factors critical to attracting offers that are consistent in most homes that sell; accurate pricing, condition, location and effective marketing to the 'right' demographic buyer group. I utilize every possible option to help my sellers achieve a frat return. Professional photography, staging( my speciality) biriad exposure on the web, social media and relationship marketing.
Rates for mortgages are at an all time low and DC is a work Mecca. I'd avoid the weeks between Thanksgiving through Christmas and New Years can be quieter, but a great house in desirable price ranges for 22207 will always have buyers waiting fit the
Web Reference: http://Www.movesmetrodc.com
Great "Q"! Right now, there are more reasons than I can tell you in my career here in N. Arl, VA 22207 for 25yrs. Feel free to call me and I'd be happy to discuss; 703.284.9322
My Pleasure
also a former CA ;p
T
theresahoward.LNF.com
When you are completely ready to sell.
The MOTIVATION to move should be considered before WHEN. Basic questions are: 1) Where are you moving to; 2) How soon do you need to be there; and 3) Do you need the proceeds from the sale of your current home to move forward? I hope this is helpful. SHARON JONES 202-415-1397.
Anytime is a good time, but historically March and April are usually the most active months for sales. Catch the cabin fever that starts to break around the end of Feb and early March and usually continues until Easter.
In about 4-6 years.

Just kidding. 22207 is a solid area and prices are holding - but you probably know that.

If you have to sell or just want to sell, then list in the spring (could be as early as March). If interest rates dip, then thats an even better trigger to jump in. You can get a great price anytime in 22207 if you have a property that is in demand (shows well, priced well, good location).

Avoid listing in a major blizzard. Ha!
There is no bad time to list in 22207! It needs to be priced correclty, and it WILL sell!
Web Reference: http://www.jimmccowan.com
Short answer, now. During the holidays and this time of year, there are fewer homes on the market so yours will have less competition, and the buyers that are out there at his time of year are serious buyers, not just lookers. If your house is ready To go, go ahead and list it now.
Without the luxury of a crystal ball to see what will happen to home values and interest rates over the next few months - or years, I offer this: 22207 is one of the single most healthy parts of the Northern Virginia real estate market. We have serious buyers out there 365 days a year. As long as your home is
1) truly priced right and 2) shows well, I feel comfortable listing any time of year. Historically speaking, you may have fewer showings around the holidays, but the seriousand savvy buyers are out there whether your azaleas are in bloom or not. Again, burning up days on the market with an overpriced home is a bad move. Pricing is key. Another point - be sure the agent you choose is in town to personally manage and negotiate questions/offers that come up.
Anytime is a good time since that area is especially nice and with the golf course and schools there it attracts a variety of buyers. Oddly enough I get a lot of buyers in the winter over the holidays with settlements in the 1st quarter of the year. So the answer is anytime is a good time and if it's priced right and shows well it will most likely sell within a short period of time. It's easy to check avg days on market for your type of home in that zip code.
A lot will depend on when you need to move (if you currently live in the home), the condition and the price of the property will play a big part in your timing. Some might say wait until Spring to sell a home but homes sell all year round. In fact there is often a small surge of home sales between Thanksgiving and the end of the year.

Currently there are 146 homes for sale in the 22207 zip code. They range in price from $134,000 to over $5 Million. So far this month 12 properties have closed in your zip code and it appears 19 places have gone under contract.

If I can be of any further assistance don't hesitate to contact me.