Market Conditions in 90025>Question Details

gabriel palo…, Real Estate Pro in Pompano Beach, FL

When do you think a house qualifies for demolition?

Asked by gabriel palotas, Pompano Beach, FL Mon Sep 27, 2010

Gabriel, I find that when it would cost more to bring back the property to it's original splendor than when you could start fresh from the foundation. A qualified Architect, Contractor and Inspector should help in this determination. The bottom line is to have qualified licensed and reliable advisors.
Web Reference:
2 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 19, 2011
When a property has more value as bare land than rehabing the house and the zoning can be converted if necessary, then it's definitely time to enter the new century! I'm a very sentimental person and out here in the beautiful rolling hills of the wine country of Sonoma County, we see everyday the slow conversion of properties from rural farmland to vineyards and tract houses. Fortunately there are many people that love old fixer-uppers as I do, and restore many beautiful painted ladies. But some homes have suffered neglect for so long and they are so in the face of progress that it is inevitable that progress will win. Best regards, Terry Bell, CPS Real Estate, Sonoma County Wine County, California
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Sep 27, 2010
I've wondered about this before. I've seen some old houses in my city and have thought about whether or not these can be demolished. It probably just depends on the owner and what they want to do. I would like to learn more about it.
I think it just depends on how worn down it is. I would think that if it is really run down, even to the foundation, it's probably time to get it demolished. I would check with contractors and a demolition service beforehand, though, just to make sure that it is needed. But if you are going to get it demolished, it's probably a good idea to get it done by a good service so that it is safe and gets done efficiently.
When my great grandmother died, we sold her house and property to a family that decided to turn it into a mansion. My great grandmother had a peach orchard behind her house and they got rid of that and demolished her house. Once all of that was done, they built a gigantic house that encompassed almost the entire lot. A house qualifies for demolition when somebody doesn't like it, there are no rules.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 5, 2014
Hi Gabriel ,

I would say when the city red tagged the building ,meaning uninhabitable . Once i was selling a home & we found out that it had a crumbling foundation & it was cheaper to tear down than to rebuild ! Good Luck !
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 25, 2014
Hi Gabriel,

From an investors point of view one may choose to demolish a house and rebuild if they can maximize their income from a new structure or different use of the property. Highest and Best Use.

Kind regards,

I second getting additional help before making the decision. Houses might need to be demolished if it's less expensive to renovate. A demolition is the most cost-effective option if you're going to build your house elsewhere on the property or if your renovation would change too much.
Flag Tue Mar 24, 2015
Also, you can have the benefit of having a contractor and inspection companies help you with this decision.
Flag Sat Oct 25, 2014
I view it like a car. If it would cost more to return it to a presentable state than it will ever be worth, than I would choose demolition. It is obviously more complicated than this though. Factors such as location can play a big role.
I would recommend having a house demolished when it would cost more and be more effort to repair the house and bring it back to a good condition. If it would cost less, the same amount, or only a little more to demolish the house and rebuild, it is smart to rebuild. Keep in mind a new house is a better investment because it will last longer and can be personalized.

Claire Reynolds ||
Hi Gabriel,

When the property is "red tagged " by the city ( meaning -do not enter-tear down ) or you are buying a property that an inspector tells you that that property needs to be torn down,I just saw one recently that had a crumbling foundation that could not be repaired & contractor advise that house be torn down,good luck !
The house would have to be so badly damaged to the point where it is either unsafe or not worth the repairs.

Eight engine companies, two trucks and two battalion chiefs responded to the incident using hose lines and a large nozzle attached to the top of the fire engine to fight the fire in Adelanto, CA

Damage estimates were calculated at approximately $130,000 and in the afternoon the house was demolished by the city.

So this would be one way I guess .
Contact the local building department and find out their requirements. That is what you need to go by as far as what "qualifies."
If a demolition contractor who was going to have the job of demolishing the house looked at it and determined that it qualified for demolition giving himself a job, it could have been a brand new house. There is no criteria other than comparing the cost of repairing and remodeling rather than tearing down and rebuilding. Sometimes a very nice house in very good condition is torn down because it is on a lot zoned for multiple dwelling and a developer is going to build apartments or condos on the parcel. General contractors should have looked at it rather than a demolishion contractor and there should have been several opinions.
On Paompano Beach, just like on Clearwater, Palm Harbor or Dunedin, if the structure sitting there is not going to provide you the quality of waterfront living you want then is a candidate.. Lots of demolished waterfront homes would have been perfectly fine, if only located someplace without a big water view.

It boils down to the definition of a weed, any plant that is not where you want it to be.
A good house in the wrong place....becomes a knockdown.
That depends on a ton of different factors (and preference potentially). You should consult with a local licensed contractor to find out if the structure is worth saving or if it would be cheaper to tear down and re-build.
A house qualifies for demolition when it is significantly decreasing the value of the homes in the neighborhood. That is my personal opinion.
Web Reference:
A house should totally be demolished if it has stuff like black mold in it. Just don't even risk it. Also, renovations can take a lot more time and money than simply demolishing and starting from the ground up.
if you own the property you can hire demolition contractors in chicago il and take the place down
If it costs more to repair or update then it would to demolish and build a new home.
When its no longer cost effective to make repairs.

Kieran Jackson, CA DRE # 01903647
Keller Williams Hollywood Hills
213.632.8484 Direct

Short Sale Specialist (SFR)
Web Reference:
I consult with experts, and base my decision on the info that they shared with me.