Market Conditions in 90025>Question Details

Gabriel Palo…, Real Estate Pro in Pompano Beach, FL

When do you think a house qualifies for demolition?

Asked by Gabriel Palotas, Pompano Beach, FL Mon Sep 27, 2010

Answers

13
Gabriel, I find that when it would cost more to bring back the property to it's original splendor than when you could start fresh from the foundation. A qualified Architect, Contractor and Inspector should help in this determination. The bottom line is to have qualified licensed and reliable advisors.
Web Reference: http://www.endrebarath.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 19, 2011
When a property has more value as bare land than rehabing the house and the zoning can be converted if necessary, then it's definitely time to enter the new century! I'm a very sentimental person and out here in the beautiful rolling hills of the wine country of Sonoma County, we see everyday the slow conversion of properties from rural farmland to vineyards and tract houses. Fortunately there are many people that love old fixer-uppers as I do, and restore many beautiful painted ladies. But some homes have suffered neglect for so long and they are so in the face of progress that it is inevitable that progress will win. Best regards, Terry Bell, CPS Real Estate, Sonoma County Wine County, California
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Sep 27, 2010
That depends on a ton of different factors (and preference potentially). You should consult with a local licensed contractor to find out if the structure is worth saving or if it would be cheaper to tear down and re-build.
Hi Gabriel,

While there may be many factors that contribute to such a decision, such as condition, safety, permit issues, etc., it is worth Also considering the Highest and Best Use thought in your consideration as well.

Arpad
If it would cost more than the house is worth to fix it up or if there's a problem, like black mold or a crumbling foundation that would make it extremely difficult to just do a repair. A friend of mine just moved to Chicago and the house across from her was demolished due to unlivable conditions in the house that were too costly to fix. Made her rethink where she had moved to a little bit.
Hi Gabriel,

It is worth asking if there are any grandfathered in structures, setbacks, etc. that you may loose if you tear down?

Arpad
A house qualifies for demolition when it is significantly decreasing the value of the homes in the neighborhood. That is my personal opinion.
Web Reference: http://www.a-1concrete.com
A house should totally be demolished if it has stuff like black mold in it. Just don't even risk it. Also, renovations can take a lot more time and money than simply demolishing and starting from the ground up.
I agree, I think it depends on the history of the house and condition. For instance if my neighbor wants the demolition in Calgary, for the house that just looks old but is fine, that's silly. But if there is a reason, it's totally fine. http://www.a-1concrete.com/commercial.html
if you own the property you can hire demolition contractors in chicago il and take the place down
If it costs more to repair or update then it would to demolish and build a new home.
When its no longer cost effective to make repairs.

Kieran Jackson, CA DRE # 01903647
Keller Williams Hollywood Hills
213.632.8484 Direct
KieranJackson@kw.com

Short Sale Specialist (SFR)
Web Reference: http://KieranTheRealtor.com
I consult with experts, and base my decision on the info that they shared with me.