Noel Harris, Real Estate Pro in Louisville, KY

What would help Sellers in KY sell their homes faster?

Asked by Noel Harris, Louisville, KY Tue Jun 19, 2007

Answers

13
Heidi Fore’s answer
Looking at a home for sale through a buyer's eyes would help sellers see their homes faster. Comparing their house that they are selling with other houses for sale in the neighborhood, could help home sellers see if the competition houses have new paint, carpet, and bathroom faucets or mirrors, kitchen updates. If there are only a handful of buyers for that neighborhood, and many many houses for sale in that price range, the buyer will always choose the house that is updated and move-in ready.
Web Reference: http://www.heidifore.com
I think the same thing that helps a seller in Alaska or Pennsylvania will help a seller in Kentucky. In today's buyer's market (or perceived buyer's market), sellers must do something to make their home stand out. This may include updating old fixtures (lights, ceiling fans, door knobs), putting in a new fresh counter (does not have to be grantie, it can be formica, just not 80's blue or green!), putting fresh paint on the wall (don't be afraid to put up some nice Pottery Barn colors, not just snooze white), plannting some flowers, power washing the vinyl siding, the deck, the front walk, and offering more incentives, such as closing costs. This sounds like a lot, but it's really not that expensive, it's mostly time consuming and requires physical effort, and it may save our sellers a few months in carrying costs.
Web Reference: http://leecourtwright.com
There are no simple answers. Each home by itself must be marketed as though it is by itself. Staging, proper pricing, patience, advertising are all important. Homes must have a WOW! from the curb to attic. They don't have to be fancy, they don't have to be new, they don't have to be anything but WOW! The yards need to be manicured, the foundation shrubs trimmed, the carpets clean and fresh, etc. Selling real estate anywhere now is certainly do-able, but there is a lot better chance when there is an honest effort put forth by all.
Avoid the use of pink paint and get rid of the wallpaper. Get rid of pink toilets and tubs, clean the houses before you show them and most important get rid of any foul odors!
One house had potential but had missing moisture barriers in the cellar so the entire house smelled moldy which steered me away.
A potential house with great bones had ugly wallpaper throughout the house and really loud wall paper in the bathrooms. The buyer does not want to move in and have to peel the walls.
A huge turn off was two cloth couches in one home that pets (I believe) used as a latrine, this should have been removed from the house.
I also noticed the overtexturization of walls and cielings to hide cracks and damage, you are better off just fixing the damage most of of know why walls and cielings are textured.
And last, but surely not least do not hire the neighborhood association president to be your realtor. Her in your face, strong arm personality caused the loss of a sale of a historic home in Old Louiville. No one wants a pushy neighborhood president that knows everyones business and talks about the neighbors to the potential buyer. A new buyer also does not want to hear that their putting in a pool will benefit the neighborhood association during their monthly meetings, as the meetings will be moved to your house and the host is responsible for providing the main course, and no she wasn't kidding.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu May 13, 2010
Come on Noel, you know that we have never had a crystal ball. However, networking with your fellow REALTORS helps a lot. I print little business card sized listing fact-sheets and give them to every other REALTOR that I meet. I post my listings on every site that will take one. Good luck!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jun 20, 2007
I think if more owners offered the option of buying on land contract or "rent to own" more people would be interested in looking. If you are looking to buy in a small town like myself, have the money to make $500 per month payments but can not get a loan to buy because only one person in your household work while the other is a full time student you are basically stuck renting. If anyone ever notices, the homes that come up for sale on land contract are scooped up often before they even hit the papers. That is because people like me can't get loans because of situations like mine but can afford to make decent payments grab them before they lose them. I have been looking for some time now for a place in the county I am in to buy on land contract but all that ever comes up here is for sale that ends up sitting empty for years because no one can really afford to buy them through loan comapanies. PUT THEM ON LAND CONTRACT PEOPLE! The way I see it is you really have nothing to lose. If the person doesn't pay their rent to own payments then you put them out and someone else get's a chance. I could be wrong about this but, these are my thought's on what would help sellers in my area sell their homes.
There are three things that affect the time it takes to sell a home, location, condition and price. While all three are critical, only two of them are controllable by you. The seller in this market must review the condition of his home prior to sale. New paint in neutral color, thorough cleaning and fix as many small issues as you ca. Today the buyers really expect it to be in move in condition. If hardwood, get commercial service to buff/wax and get carpets cleaned. No one really wants to absorb that expense but it will be worth it! On price, have sellers research recently sold houses in their area so that they can discuss with their agent what they have learned. Here is the critical point on price. You want your house to be "IN" the market, not just "ON" the market. "ON" just means listed on MLS and websites etc. "IN" the market means that it is priced so that buyers who search the internet and agents who search the MLS will immediately see that it is a fair value for the neighborhood with its features and practically screams to the buyer "you need to visit me". Good weather and good luck also gets thrown in. Do not underestimate the value of holding open houses in Louisville. Buyers are roaming every Sunday afternoon. Hope this helps. Thanks
I'll answer you with a question. Why is it some properties are getting multi offers on them? It's not the location, it's not how beautiful it is.........It's Price, Price, Price....Reduce it, Reduce it, Reduce it.
Why is it that Car Dealerships really push that their cars are pre-inspected or Certified ? They know that if 2 cars are equal in appearance that the car that has already been inspected will generally sell faster and for more money. This also applies to houses. A pre-listing inspection gives an agent an "Extra" to market. The house's problems are found before the house goes on the market , they can be dealt with or the price of the house can reflect any issues. Many buyers might still get their own inspection but, really like the fact that a knowledgeable person has already done an inspection. I know this is a tough sell to many agents. What if you find problems ? Better to deal with them before a buyer comes along ! Much of the stress involved with a Real Estate transaction occurs as a result of home inspection findings. Many times an agent has worked months to sell a home all to have problems which can cause the deal to go down the tubes at the very end.
If you figure the typical cost is roughly $ 270 - $ 330, why not raise the price of the house to accomadate the inspection cost. It's all about taking fear, doubt and headaches off of the table as soon as possible.
Curb appeal is a must; you have to get them in the door first. Inside must be clean and de-cluttered. You must have a good marketing plan. And finally and most important, the home must be priced right. These are the basic rules in any state and in any market.
SLL-Site, Lite, & Layout
Site - Location, curb appeal, interior condition (updated)
Lite - Fresh! Clean & Maintained. Well lighted rooms (update fixtures).Don't forget dingy or so-called finished basements.
Layout - Outdated floor plan? Rearrange and stage to catch up with the times.
Of course, price. Everyone wants to feel like they're getting a deal.
Web Reference: http://MichelleDoscher.mobi
No crystal ball needed. The more people see your home the better the chances of it being sold. It also needs to be priced correctly for the area. Curb appeal is a plus and lack of clutter is a must.

Simple!
Web Reference: http://noelharris.net
Maximizing your advertising will get your property sold. As a realtor I am constantly looking for a way to reach the most people possible.